• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joel's 175 Gallon Re-build

Nice I like the cherry stained stand everyone either got black,oak, or white for the most of us GLW rebuild,,,,, Cant wait to see pics when your up and running.. How much work do you have left before you start filling tank.... @jkapit

Nice I like the cherry stained stand everyone either got black,oak, or white for the most of us GLW rebuild,,,,, Cant wait to see pics when your up and running.. How much work do you have left before you start filling tank.... @jkapit

Well, this is a good opportunity to document my todo list

1)Clean/scrub sump and refugium - completed
2)Clear sump table - completed
3)Sand and re-laquer sump table - completed
4)clean two Iwaki return pumps - completed
5)Clean two eheim feed pumps, one for gfd/carbon, one for skimmer - completed
6)Clean skimmer body and pump - completed
7)Clean turbelle pumps - completed
7.1)Replace Drive unit on one of the pumps completed
8)Clean out tank overflow areas and return pipes - completed
9)Modify stand pipes with serviceable strainers - completed
10)Make light gaurd/deflector over overflow so algae does not grow on the inlets and overflow area and keeps stand pipes Clear
11.a)Cutaway old silicone on front two seams - completed
11.b)Make templates for 1/2" glass braces - completed
11.c)Make top glass braces to fit curve of bowfront tank - completed
11.d)Make beveled glass plate for new front tank seams - completed
11.e)repair front two seams with beveled glass plate - completed
11.f)Add glass brace under black plastic top frame braces - completed
11.g)Repair plastic top frame brace - completed
11)Clean light fixture and replace VHO and MH bulbs, replace DC exhaust fans - completed
11.2)Replace VHO Ballast - completed
12)Soak canopy glass in vinegar to remove cloudy glass effect from mineral buildup - completed
13)Clean/scrub display tank - completed
13.5)Clean out equipment from display stand - completed
13.5a)Vacumm inside bottom of display stand - completed
13.5b)Sand inside bottom of display stand - completed
14)Reinstall sump and Refugium, skimmer, return pumps and feed pumps, calk reactor - completed
15)Install new display background - completed
16)Install new ro and di elements - completed
17)pick out which rocks will be used for rock scape and arrange outside of tank - completed
18)Soak rocks in Vinegar to remove residue still is on rock - completed
19)Rinse rocks in RODI - completed
20)Fill tank with water- completed
21)Setup new Apex system, connect feed pumps, skimmer, refugium light, return pumps, display tank lights, fish feeder, turbelle pumps, heater, float switches - completed
22)reinstall display tank glass and light fixture - completed
23)Add rockscape - completed
24)Test and treat rock for phosphates, keep testing and treating.
25)Add add sand
26)Add bacteria
27)Add chaetto to the sump
28) Add fish and a few corals
29)Setup automatic DOS water change module - completed

30)Sit back and enjoy! Probably missed a few steps, but I'll add them in.

Last edited:
"Joel's tank of Death" that's funny!!! ,,, I like the bleaching of the Rocks . I recently started up a 28 & 30 gallon nano tank for my kids and I had gotten rocks from someone and didn't want to take a chance so I bleached mine mixed with RODI water and an old wave maker for 2 days then I rinse the with RODI water and let them sit in a tub of fresh made RODI water for a day and dry in the shed for a week. Safe than Sorry.....First tank up and running and I just got done with 2nd stand build for 2nd tank and started cycling that tank this past weekend.... @jkapit

A little Sunday morning pump cleaning session.

I've had these Iwaki 55RLT pumps for 12 years. This is only the fourth time I have cleaned them. It's amazing how little calcium buildup happens with theses pumps.

They are a great basement sump type pump due to the fans on them being relatively noisy and when installed under the tank they add a lot of heat to the tank. But when installed out in the open like I have they do a great job and have been ultra reliable.

Here are some pictures after three years of running. I used a little auto detailer and wax on the pump bodies and they look like new.

IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG

Next up, my two feed pumps. Two Eheim 1250, one feeds a bubble king external skimmer and the other feeds both a GFO and a Carbon canister.

one of theses died after about three years, they require cleaning every 3 - 6 months or the calcium build up will freeze them. Very easy to disassemble, it's just with my current setup I have to drain the skimmer and the front compartment of the sump in order to remove. I don't have enough table space to add a union-ball valve to make that easier, but will put a little though into it before I re-assemble the system. I could simply just sit them in the sump and run them as internal.

IMG_0608.JPG

The work continues. Cleaned out the two sumps in the basement, cleaned the Bubble King skimmer and Cleared and sanded the the sump table. Making progress... Next step trying to figure out if I need a new aquarium since the front seams have eroded and one of the top braces broke away.

IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
"Joel's tank of Death" that's funny!!! ,,, I like the bleaching of the Rocks . I recently started up a 28 & 30 gallon nano tank for my kids and I had gotten rocks from someone and didn't want to take a chance so I bleached mine mixed with RODI water and an old wave maker for 2 days then I rinse the with RODI water and let them sit in a tub of fresh made RODI water for a day and dry in the shed for a week. Safe than Sorry.....First tank up and running and I just got done with 2nd stand build for 2nd tank and started cycling that tank this past weekend.... @jkapit

How are you cycling your tank?

I love the smell of polyurethene In the morning. One more coat and I can start re-assembling the sump, refugium, skimmer, pumps and my new Apex system. It's my first time using a full control system, I love setting all the components up. Lot's of fun.
IMG_0619.JPG

Reassembly has started.....I bought these silicone matts to help quiet the pumps. WE will see if they are better than the mouse pads I was using.

IMG_0623.JPG

Finally got around to cleaning and updating my stand pipes. This is what they looked like after 12 years of use. The strainers were always filling up with crud and used to take a tooth brush on a stick to clean it up a bit but was always clogging up since I did not make them serviceable.

IMG_0626.JPG

I spliced in a connector gluing only one side, sanded the unglued pipe down so it goes in-out easily. Used 120grit to take down the plastic and 400 grit to polish it back up. Worked out well. Also replaced the strainer with one from Marine Depot. A little shorter but looks like it will flow a bit better than the original material with very small holes. Now I can take the whole top section off and clean the strainer completely.

IMG_0634.JPG

Finally getting around to provide an update on the progress. The sump, refugium, and Apex system for the most part are all re assembled and installed. I figure I'd invest my upgrade dollars into a full Apex system. Was originally thinking of going LED, but I have a nice MH and VHO system I'll use and revisit that decision another time. Hopefully it helps me run a more stable system with more success than I've had in the past.

For the Apex, I went with the DOS for constant water changes, another DOS for Calc/Alk dosing. Auto top off I have my old liter-meter 3 for auto top off and have the extra liter-meter pumps for vodka dosing and one more item if needed.

Before.....
IMG_0582.JPG

After.....
IMG_0642.JPG

APEX setup and breakout box for high/low sump level detection using float switches:
IMG_0637.JPG

DOS for water change, reef1 canisters for carbon and GFO, Litermeter 3 for ATO.

IMG_0638.JPG

DOS for Calc/Alk dosing, refugium
IMG_0639.JPG

Iwaki return pumps, pushing water up over 20 ft head.
Also my holding containers for extra Calk, Alk, Mg
IMG_0640.JPG