• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joel's 175 Gallon Re-build

Last update of the weekend, temporary tank is running well with adequate flow. All livestock accounted for except for 1 cardinal fish. Whew, I lucked out that I was home and this was a long weekend when this happened.

New tank ordered, going with a 220 Gallon, 72x24x30. Should have it and the new stand after New Years.

The Tupperware Setup should work fine for another month.

Just a quick update, finally got the new tank and stand and transferred the inhabitants into their new home.

So now this is a re-Build of a re-Build. I thought about getting out of the hobby after the leak, but was finally having some good success after setting up the tank two years ago. So I made the commitment to rebuild and figure I would continue to enjoy the hobby. Just didn’t look forward to the work to set everything back up. But glad I did.

All in all did pretty well considering the corals and fish stayed in the Tupperware environment from Thanksgiving till April. Lost two SPS corals, the LPS thrived due to much less water flow and higher nutrient levels. Also lost the two fire shrimp but saved all other livestock.

Lastly, my MH lights would not fit in the new canopy so went with Radions and T5 Hybrids and the SPS coral growth is really good. Run the T5’s 6 hours day and the Radions ramp up to 50% for a 14 hour period. Start with deep blue, then go to 20k, then 14K the rest of the day while they slowly fade to black. The T5’s are used for added light for growth, two Blue Plus, One coral plus, and one super actinic. So the tank overal looks like somewhere between 14K and 20K.

Here are a few pics...

The Tupperware makeshift tank...
DB0BBE9B-B29C-4276-B6FC-575523839FBA.jpeg

Filling the new tank with water...
EC20962C-2E2A-4F54-913C-7EC027588371.jpeg

All inhabitants transferred ...
6B87D1FA-25F6-48B7-9A49-D706E2110659.jpeg

Tank all setup, looks great..
EA49208A-F807-41DD-A26D-B0F5E5AE2A83.jpeg

A closer look....57122E75-F4F9-412A-836F-1DF9307D1F60.jpeg