• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joel's 175 Gallon Re-build

Time for a small tank update.

All in all things are doing well and getting closer to the point where I can start doing a few frags and provide them for an up-coming njreeefers meeting.

My major challenge has been battling cyano, I’ve been treating the tank with Chemi clean which has knocked back the cyano then weekly adding Microbacter 7. This method seems to be working as I have just a small amount of cyano and it is not spreading over the past 3 weeks.

Here is a video of the tank update.....

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Nice looking take and your polyp extensions are great. How old is your tank? I heard you say you have been reefing for 14 years

Nice looking take and your polyp extensions are great. How old is your tank? I heard you say you have been reefing for 14 years

Thanks Diana, I first got into the hobby in 2004 setting up this tank with marginal success. The tank got wiped out during hurricane Sandy and I shut it down for a couple years. Restarted it in Feb of 2017 so what you see is a tank that I started stocking corals and fish in around March/April of 2017.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know how that "wiped out" feeling very well. Glad you decided to jump back in

The Marine Epoxy applies to the low rim has worked pretty well. No more trickle but can’t leave it like that.

Any recommendations where to buy a large Reef ready tank with overflows already built in?

Oh boy a lot of work and a couple design issues.

Realized when putting the new tanks on the floor, the returns did not creat enough pressure to move the water into the basement sump. Had to raise the tanks up and did that a couple times to figure out a stable way to some return flow.

I normally run two Iwaki 55RLT which I figure after head pressure return about 1000GPH. In the new configuration, the returns can only handle a single return pump and I had to install a valve to dial it back about 50%. Just a hunch I am circulating about 300GPH. I move a couple of my nano tunze in to add more circulation, I think it will keep the corals alive for a couple weeks until the display tank is replaced. A ton of work p, but in reality I was very lucky. The tank could have failed in a major way or this could have happened when I was away. So it is what it is.

Mid day update...

Tonight’s update

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I wouldn't have known how to hook the plumbing up the way you did. I actually kept re-watching the your video a few times

Thanks for the feedback Diana. I actually have my sump and refugium connected In a similar way so I thought it would work.

Ok, all fish have been transferred, just not gettin enough flow out of the overflows so going to add a sump to collect more water to create more pressure to move the water down into the basement. There is about 25 almost linear feet of travel into the sump so it will take a different a approach to get more water flow going.

Here is the latest on the move...