• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joys of DIY project

Holy Cannoli @njtiger24 you made that? Thats insane. Ok so when I looked at the Apex "that little orange and white box" that was not the entire thing? or was it? is there other equipment in the background? how can that little box control pumps and what not? unless thee thats being controlled is DC? am i making any sense?
either way that was impressive build. Is it working as you expected still?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@REEF DOCG yes I created this project. Its not as clean as the Apex but it is working. I keep adding to it each chance I get. There are different models of the Apex and I am not sure what comes with which model. My system (if you couldn't tell) is a Raspberry Pi that controls a 4 channel relay. I have power outlets hooked up to each relay. From my system I can turn on and off those outlets (which equipment is hooked up to). I set a light schedule so the outlets that my lights are on will turn on and off at set times. The one big advance of this over a timer is if I lose power I don't need to reset anything. Once my system boots back up it checks the time and see what equipment (outlets) need to be on or off at that time. I also have a temp sensor that polls the temp of my tank. I set alerts to let me know if my temp is too high or too low. There are many other options I am working on as well. Currently working on 'quick buttons' which does a set of methods; for example feeding will disable my skimmer for 10 mins. Being in IT I understand this but cooking isn't something I am good at lol.

@REEF DOCG yes I created this project. Its not as clean as the Apex but it is working. I keep adding to it each chance I get. There are different models of the Apex and I am not sure what comes with which model. My system (if you couldn't tell) is a Raspberry Pi that controls a 4 channel relay. I have power outlets hooked up to each relay. From my system I can turn on and off those outlets (which equipment is hooked up to). I set a light schedule so the outlets that my lights are on will turn on and off at set times. The one big advance of this over a timer is if I lose power I don't need to reset anything. Once my system boots back up it checks the time and see what equipment (outlets) need to be on or off at that time. I also have a temp sensor that polls the temp of my tank. I set alerts to let me know if my temp is too high or too low. There are many other options I am working on as well. Currently working on 'quick buttons' which does a set of methods; for example feeding will disable my skimmer for 10 mins. Being in IT I understand this but cooking isn't something I am good at lol.
Wow that's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Is it possible to build that PI for a fraction of the Apex?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I first want to state I have not used or seen an Apex system. I hear good things about them but like I started I don't have one nor have I seen one in person.

Doing a quick search I find the Apex Jr (which I am assuming is their cheapest model) for around $239.95 (the other two prodcut are as cheap as $500 and as costly as $700) - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/apex-jr-controller-neptune-systems.html
The ApexJr has:
* 4 power outlet that are controllable
* Display (not 100% sure the size or the options to display)
* temp sensor
* wired network connection

Now you also need to take in the following thoughts
* Apex is a company who seems like they back their product
* Their outlet ramp to help extend the life of your equipment
* Product is well finished
* There a team of product designer/programmers/engineers/ etc... working on them.

Now my current system
Total cost so far ~ $100 (and that includes all the parts)
My system has
* 4 power outlets that are controllable
* 7in display (should be touch screen but that option isn't working just yet) and I can display anything I want on my screen but right now just display my temp plus a graph of the last 24 hours
* temp sensor (i have 4 spare sensors which is includes in that total price)
* wireless and wired network connection (I use wireless)

Now you also need to take in the following thoughts
* I am not a company so I don't have funding behind me, just my spare money (at times not even spare lol)
* My outlets don't ramp
* I am the only one working on my project
* I should be able to add a pH probe for around $100 (for a highly rated one there cheaper ones out there as well)
* I should be able to add many other options, which are on the higher Apex systems) for little no no additional cost

Personally the Pi is a great option and if your tech savy and like to tinker you can do some sweet stuff with it. If you don't know much about computers and you want a controller you should pay for something that is tried and true.

I like my system (and not only cause it mine) because I can custom it to my needs. I can make any changes I want. I can make it secure if I want to open it for remote access. I hope to get many more options in there. A week or two ago I saw a video where a guy had a pi controlling just his LED lights. His system (which been an option I been thinking of adding) checks a weather system in the tropic. It gets sun rise, sun set, moon phase, wind speed, wind direction, cloudiness, etc... and his lights make it seem like it there. for example if it a cloud day with the clouds moving south to north at an X speed. His lights would create this scene and it would look like the clouds are moving across his tank in the correct direction and the correct speed.

OMG you need to add that light system to yours. That sounds crazy awesome.
I know this is a project you're tinkering with. I was just saying I would support a little guy over a huge company anytime. But I hear what you are saying about Apex standing behind their product. That alone costs to do for any company, that's why most fail bc they can't back their product up! I just enjoy watching what you are doing. Keep up the great work as we are all enjoying it. well I can speak for myself at least but from what I see, everyone is enjoying it also.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
OMG you need to add that light system to yours. That sounds crazy awesome.
I know this is a project you're tinkering with. I was just saying I would support a little guy over a huge company anytime. But I hear what you are saying about Apex standing behind their product. That alone costs to do for any company, that's why most fail bc they can't back their product up! I just enjoy watching what you are doing. Keep up the great work as we are all enjoying it. well I can speak for myself at least but from what I see, everyone is enjoying it also.

Thanks. Yes that options does sound cool. My near plans is to get my new pump installed and added to my controller. My new pump should be here today but I am taking my time with this add. I plan on doing PVC under my stand (right now its just hoses) so that I can run both my reactors plus my return line off one pump.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
personally, i have the Apex Jr and think that its over-rated...the prices for the all extra controllable items (like PH, Salinity) are cheap and begin to add up over time. if i knew how to do i DIY version i would have