• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joys of DIY project

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So Tuesday my new screen, pi, and card came in. I was looking everything over and think I found what my issue was with the other pi. It seems like what I was seeing about power issue was a false report and it meant the OS wasn't the correct one for the pi. I still swapped out the equipment and going to try and plan this one out in small steps.

Phase 1
  • Install new equipment
  • Let system run for 7 days to make sure wifi doesn't drop out.
  • Install button to server as a hard reboot button as long as the wifi says up

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.08.37 PM.png
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So been working on phase 1 now that the wireless has been stabled.

So I have the main panel up and the admin panel up. I also have the start of a database which logs events. Lastly I have a button that when held down it will cause the system to reboot.

I am making sure I document and plan things out so this might be a slow project but hope to have thing running smoothly. Not set on the color style yet

IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.29.27 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
right now it only two panels for phase 1. The main panel is like a dashboard. it going to display information like temp reading, equipment status, macro buttons, etc... the admin panel is to get into more information such as rebooting the system, shutting it down, exit the program, etc.... I also be able to get to other information such as network information, system information like pc temp, mem usage, cpu, etc... It going to be a slow build but hope to be a full system when done

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well phase 2 went smoothly and quicker then I thought; mainly with dealing with my father passing away on the 4th. Now I wasn't closed to my father but still was dealing with that which kinda help keep my mind on my project then other stuff.

So phase 2 was focus on the temp probe. I first added the clock to the main page.

I then added the temp sesnor which I tried learning how to sodder. Now sodding was easier than I thought but it didn't go well cause I didn't have helping hands so the wires kept moving. My brother had these shrink wrap with sodder butt connectors which worked great. Now the system will post the current temp (every 30 seconds it reads the temp). It then displays the min temp and the max temp as well. Now this clears anytime the system is rebooted/reloaded. Now what I was shocked by how easy it went was I have it so I can disable the temp probe as well as it will auto disable if the cables comes disconnected. I have the system log the temp on the hour into the database. If the probe is not plugged in the option to enable/disable it will not be there. If the probe is disable and/or not there the main display will not show anything about the temp. I ran into one issue but it was a moment of idiot on my part. I was testing my temp probe and kept reading the same temp. I was putting the tip in hot water and under my heat gun but temp never changed. It took me about 5 mins to find out I was using the wrong sensor (I had two laying next to each other and only one was plugged in)

IMG_0116.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.43 PM.png

Phase 3 is going to work on charts for some of the system

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I figured phase 3 would take me a long time to figure out cause I had issues doing charts on my last project. It started out as I figured but then yesterday/today it all came together. So phase 3 was doing charts. Now I only have 2 charts on the system at this time. One chart is a donut chart that measure mem usage. The second chart is a line chart that display the temp for the last 24 hours. Not only did I get the chart working and looking semi-nice (still might change colors/style) I also got it so they don't 'flash' the screen. I am using Matplotlib and the animation which makes it a nice smooth update.

The red dotted lines are what will be my warning temp levels. This well help to show when and how long temp goes out of the set level.

IMG_0121.JPG

now the light blue outter circle is to display total ram. The darker blue inner ciricle is to show what being used where the black is not being used.

IMG_0122.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well turns out I am running into memory leak with my programs. After doing a lot of searching and playing around I am having no good luck with fixing the leak. I know its due to my poor knowledge with python and programming. I am now breaking it down to find any and all leaks/poor memory managment in my code. Right now working on getting a baseline and then will go from there.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok so after some downtime from the project I got the ich to work on this again. Its slowly coming but so far it seems to be running stable with no memory leak. I still have a lot more to do to get it near to what it was before. I hope to have some images to post tonight

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Here are some screen shots.
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 5.56.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 5.57.18 PM.png

So the option I been working on is the alert option. As of right now this only display when there is an alert in the system. Types of alerts I have right now is when the system reboots. When pressing the button it will display all of the alerts since the last time it was displayed.

I am not working on the macro buttons to do what they need to do.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I been working out kinks with my system. Its a slow processed but I was having major memory leak which was cuasing the system to crash. Hopefully I can get it back to where I had it, stabled, and not crashing so that I can start developing more options with this.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Looks like my system is finally getting back to where I was and stable. I know more by Saturday but so far its running well. Hopefully I can start adding more options once things are back to where I was.