• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Just averted a fire!!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My Coralife digital power strip just went up in smoke!!! I just happen to be looking at my tank when I saw smoke :eek:. I ran and open the stand and the power strip was shorting out! No water anywhere near it. If you have one of these you may want to reevaluate it's usage. This could have been a disaster!

Bob

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
TheGuyFromNJ said:
I have read on many forums about them going up in smoke. Your not alone.

That's true! Go on RC and search for it, SCARY results. As soon as I read them I came home and threw out 3 of them that I had at the time.

Good thing you were there, Bob!

scary. Good thing you were there.
I know i had a connector short out. Went in the kitchen where the tank is and there is smoke rolling at the ceiling. Lost a couple years off my life that day.

Bob, you can't have your tank and the refrigerator all connected on one strip ;D

On a side note...... Glad you where there to take care of the problem.

going to sticky this so others know to avoid this. If we don't think it merits a sticky - we'll take it down later.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What a way to get my first sticky :p It put a few more grays on my head.

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Coralife timers are NOTORIOUS for going up in smoke. We threw ours away after I read the story of the fire on RC. Those poor people lost their home. Glad it had a happy ending for you, if not without taking a few years off your life expecancy.

magic said:
My Coralife digital power strip just went up in smoke!!! I just happen to be looking at my tank when I saw smoke :eek:. I ran and open the stand and the power strip was shorting out! No water anywhere near it. If you have one of these you may want to reevaluate it's usage. This could have been a disaster!

Bob

Time to throw mine away. Can anyone recommend an alternative timer with multiple outlets that will not go up in smoke....

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd use an ACJr, Brian. Sorry, Dave. I can't answer that question.

the coralife non digital timers would be a safer choice. How about using the marineland timers with a good quality power strip plugged into it. I been using the marineland ones for years for my lighting, water topoff switches and fans.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't use ANY coralife timer. I believe it was the non-digi that started the fire on RC. I think their outlets are faulty.

malulu

NJRC Member
All,
thank you all for this bad news - i have 6 of them!!

i guess i need to *find a way* to upgrade them to a safe and cheaper ones from HomeDepot!
i mean without the wife's noticed of the extra $100+ spend on the fish tank related...
::)

Bob,
time to upgrade the *whole tank*...
just tell your wife the new tank tank is using a special fire-proof super woods...
;D

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
All,
thank you all for this bad news - i have 6 of them!!

i guess i need to *find a way* to upgrade them to a safe and cheaper ones from HomeDepot!
i mean without the wife's noticed of the extra $100+ spend on the fish tank related...
::)

Bob,
time to upgrade the *whole tank*...
just tell your wife the new tank tank is using a special fire-proof super woods...
;D
Dave

I get it, I tell her that the wood got wet and the 46 grew into a 120 ;D

Bob

tbaquatics said:
Time to throw mine away. Can anyone recommend an alternative timer with multiple outlets that will not go up in smoke....

I use an appliance (three prong) HD/Lowes/walmart timer with a threeway splitter on lower wattage circuits. I also use the timer to cover two of the outlets on the strip as well to prevent overuse.

Another option is to plug the timer into the wall and then plug a powerstrip into the timer... (DISCLAIMER!!! I haven't checked wattages to ensure safeness of this)

I have everything on it's own timer. HD has those outdoor timers with the little clear cover to keep the moisture out and they have a dongle that plugs into the strip so it only takes up one outlet.