• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Just averted a fire!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a Zilla Digital Power strip that looks just like the Coralife…this is scary stuff! I would guess the Zilla and Coralife are the same power strips. It is UL listed…for what it’s worth. I need to repeat the same question daveh asked: Can anyone verify that the Zilla is manufactured by the same company that does Coralife?

ZillaPowerStrip.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking at that Zilla sent shivers down my spine. I'd throw it away in a NY Minute, no questions asked.

HERE it is referred to as the Coralife Zilla Powerstrip. Case closed.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Magic and all that have been part of this thread. Thank you for enlightening us and making this a sticky. My brother came to me first thing thismorning at work and was all happy that he purchased one of these at one of our sponsors' store. As soon as I heard him say coralife (knowing that he bought a powerstrip) I stopped him dead in his tracks and told him to get rid of it immediately. I felt bad busting his bubble and watching his face go from excited to oh S@#t in a second, but Thanks to you guys we may have saved his house and even his family, you never know.

Anyway he called to wake his wife up and instructed her to unplug the strip immediately and put it back into the box that he had in the garbage so he can return it to the store.

How do we get these things off the shelves. Can we ask our sponsors to stop selling these as a club or would we have to contact them as individuals to ask them. I'd hate to read about another poor person suffering from a serious loss or injury from a stupid timer/strip that they didn't know about the risk.

Taz

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately they seem to fight the fight and because there is water involved somewhere under the tank... they deny any culpability.

I will add my advice to get rid of these shotty inventions that should have been recalled!!! I owned one that in 3 weeks stopped working, I returned it to petsmart which I got another one. Then I went home and started researching the things. They are disasters waiting to happen. The Zilla/Corallife timers are All the same times, just marketed for fish tanks or reptile tanks. It doesnt matter if they are manual or digital, they all have the same poor rating. I immediately returned the strip and got the simple single timers that work great. I haven't found a strip with the same functionality, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would think if there was a load restriction it would have a fuse in it to prevent over drive. The fact that the company denies that it has anything to do with the strip (you must have gotten water on it is typical rhetoric) leads me to believe it has everything to do with the strip. JMcynicalO

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lord Viper said:
is this a case of to much amprage being throw on the strip. Just thinking out loud here. Bobb

When my powerstrip went up in smoke I had a Fluval 405 canister filter, a Koralia 1 and a Koralia 2 plugged in (light load)nowhere near the limit!

Bob

malulu

NJRC Member
magic said:
Lord Viper said:
is this a case of to much amprage being throw on the strip. Just thinking out loud here. Bobb

When my powerstrip went up in smoke I had a Fluval 405 canister filter, a Koralia 1 and a Koralia 2 plugged in (light load)nowhere near the limit!

Bob

r u sure your CHILLER and your MH are not in it?
;)

j/k...

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
magic said:
Lord Viper said:

Bob

r u sure your CHILLER and your MH are not in it?
;)

j/k...

No, all the power hungary stuff is on the AC Jr. ;D

I'm throwing this out of left-field... but any chance an ARC-FAULT circuit placed in our breaker box would detect this type of activity? That way, we have our GFCI protecting the socket and the AFCI protecting the entire circuit?

I know that AFCI's are a PIA because of the grounding issue (most boxes are grounded at the box which is located at the upper or lower portion of the box itself... the AFCI's need to be grounded at the switch/breaker and that breaker goes to the box grounds. Normally, it's impossible(?) to post-wire a circuit with AFCI - new wiring only... )

I use the black heavy duty indoor/outdoor digital ones from homedepot. Had em for years and no problems. Heard stories of shorts with the coralife digital ones on other sites as well.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mbodell said:
Ok, well I guess this is one more thing to take off things to buy list. :(

Better to be taking it off your "to buy" list then having to put a new house on it. ;D
Welcome to the club.

Bob

i just had the same problem with mine.i was walking by my tank and i heard a sizzling kind of sound.i checked behind the tank and the power strip was smoking!i am going to HD today to try and find something better.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
steve614 said:
i just had the same problem with mine.i was walking by my tank and i heard a sizzling kind of sound.i checked behind the tank and the power strip was smoking!i am going to HD today to try and find something better.
Anything is better!!!!!!

Bob