• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

just found this swimming in reef ... help?

this didn't live through the bleaching process, it came out of my cucumber... does anyone want this "thing" its alive and swimming in a wonton soup container as i type

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReeferNets said:
If you lived in Australia, If you get sick of your fish, literally you could bring them to ocean and put them back.

This statement is not only ridiculous bit it isn't even remotely true. Australia has some of the strictest marine life regulations in the world. In now way, shape or form do they condone releasing fish back into the wild, native or non-native species.

who could we call to give it to science since they dont know much about it we can learn more when scientists can examin it

That is wild.

Looks like one of those freaky deep water things that pop up now and then.

I would contact some local aquariums, to be honest.

Matt,

I didnt mean legally release it back into the wild. I was comparing it to when people throw lion fish into the atlantic.

Say for instance i had the last pair of great barrier reef clowns. Would they not release babies from them back into the wild. They do have programs where they do this with land animals but isnt it the same thing. The lioness who is released back into the wild could infect other lions with anything she has come in contact with.

Im also pretty sure they have frag farms in the ocean and some of the frags have to be have been in a holding tank in the labs or soemthing?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Theres a scientist named Leslie on RC. She breeds and does things with these kinds of fish and worms. Maybe post over there and ask for her.

Chad,

Did you ever consider keeping the host slug in isolation as well? If that thing indeed did come out of the poor slug's behind, is there a chance that it's babies are still hosting it?

Its better to be cautious unless you would want to open a pearl fish farm :D

gogol said:
Chad,

Did you ever consider keeping the host slug in isolation as well? If that thing indeed did come out of the poor slug's behind, is there a chance that it's babies are still hosting it?

Its better to be cautious unless you would want to open a pearl fish farm :D

i think he said they young are in a larval state which means coral food and alittle extra skimmer work. besides if they dont have enough cuc's to host it seems logical that they would die off anyways right?
i guess thats a good idea if you want to play it safe