• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

just found this swimming in reef ... help?

freaky...it would be even freakier if it has siblings in your tank... :eek:

amazing that it survived the curing....though maybe it somehow was introduced after?

somebody on rc sent me a pm and informed me that it looks like a fish that lives in a sea cucumber. I looked it up. It looks like what is called a pearl fish. The funny thing is the closest correct answer that was posted on here was the first answer. Its a parasitic fish that lives in the anus of a cucumber.

onefish2fish said:
that thing is sick man!

maybe its one of those things in the amazon that swim into your pee-hole. :D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That really is crazy...it's amazing the stuff you can find with some new rock!

onefish2fish said:
that thing is sick man!

maybe its one of those things in the amazon that swim into your pee-hole. :D
[/quote]

Pearlfish is a general name for a variety of marine fish species in the Carapidae family. Pearlfish have been found in tropical waters of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans at depths up to 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) along oceanic shelves and slopes.

Pearflish are slender fish, distinguished by having dorsal fin rays that are shorter than their anal fin rays. They have translucent, scaleless bodies reminiscent of eels. The largest pearlfish are about 50 centimetres (20 in) in length. They reproduce by laying oval-shaped eggs, about 1 millimeter in length.[1]

Pearlfish are unusual in that the adults of most species live inside various types of invertebrate. Typically, they live inside clams, starfish or sea squirts, and are simply commensal, not harming their hosts. However, some species are known to be parasitic on sea cucumbers, eating their gonads. Regardless of the habits of the adults, the larvae of pearlfish are free-living among the plankton. Pearlfish larvae can be distinguished by the presence of a long filament in front of their dorsal fin, sometimes with various appendages attached.

Last time I saw something like that it was popping out of someones stomach and running around a spaceship ! You do have to feel sorry for it if it has to eat seacucumber gonads to survive ;D

Carapus bermudensis is long, slender, and eel-like, with a large head and relatively large eyes. It is translucent, with silvery bands along the flanks, black internal pigment visible along the vertebral column, a silver cheek patch, and large pigment blotches along the bases of the dorsal and anal fins and head. The anal fin origin is anterior to the dorsal fin origin. There are 13–18 anal rays anterior to the first dorsal ray. This number varies among pearlfish species and is useful in identification. There are no pelvic fins, and the caudal fin usually is absent. The pectoral fin has 17–20 rays. The teeth on the upper jaw are small, and some are heart-shaped. The teeth on the lower jaw are larger and conical. The air bladder is separated into two parts by an internal constriction under vertebrae 11 and 12. This feature of the internal anatomy is characteristic of all species in the genus Carapus, and the position of the constriction relative to the vertebrae allows for separation of species.

DISTRIBUTION

Distributed in shallow waters along the shores of the western Atlantic, Bermuda, and the Caribbean Sea south to Brazil. Its larvae sometimes are collected far north and east of this range in plankton samples taken by research cruises.

HABITAT

All species of the genus Carapus have obligatory commensal relationships with sea cucumbers (Holothuria), starfishes (Asterioidea), or sea squirts (Ascidiacea). Many species exhibit host specificity. Carapus bermudensis has been collected in the body cavity of nine holothurian species in the genera Actinopyga, Isostichopus, Thone, Astichopus, Holothuria, and Theelothuria. These host species generally reside in shallow waters, to about 98.4 ft (30 m) on sandy bottoms or grass beds in tropical and subtropical lagoons near reefs. In one study in the Bahamas, pearlfishes were found in relatively few restricted areas, although more than 1,000 sea cucumbers were surveyed.

BEHAVIOR

Resides within the body of its host during daylight and is believed to exit at night to forage and perhaps spawn. This strategy limits the probability of predation by larger fishes. This species has been observed in aquaria as it rapidly enters its primary host, Actinopyga agassizi. The species first locates the anal opening of the sea cucumber with its snout, presumably through olfaction. As the fish holds its head in the proper position at the anal opening, the body curves and the tip of the tail tracks along the mid-lateral line until it reaches the anus. Once the tail tip is aligned and pointed into the opening, the fish abruptly turns, forcing its way tail first into the host by body undulations. There are no observations of living pearlfishes in the wild and little data on its habits and behaviors.

FEEDING ECOLOGY AND DIET

Some inquiline pearlfishes are parasitic, dining on the internal organs of the invertebrates they occupy. This species of pearlfish is not parasitic and feeds outside the holothurian host, probably at night. There have been no detailed studies of the food habits of this species, but gut contents of individuals are mostly crustacean invertebrates, such as amphipods, small shrimps, crabs, and mysids. Rarely, a pearlfish is found in the stomach of larger, predaceous fishes.

REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGY

Spawning of pearlfishes has not been observed, and carapid reproductive behavior is poorly known. Some investigators have identified eggs collected in plankton samples by subsequent incubation in the laboratory. There also are a few reports of pearlfish species spawning in aquaria. In these cases, the scientists did not observe spawning directly but found eggs in tanks after periods of darkness. The eggs of pearlfishes are ellipsoid, usually containing an oil droplet and deposited into a jellylike, mucous matrix that floats at the surface. The egg mass has been described as oval, spherical, or somewhat flattened. Eggs hatch in one to two days. Early larvae are easily identified, since they possess a vexillum that first appears as a small protuberance but rapidly grows in length. Older pearlfish larvae have a long pigmented and ornamented vexillum that often is damaged in collection. Pearlfish larvae are extremely elongate, reaching about 7.1 in (180 mm) in length, and possess a distinct small ring of melanophores on the snout. Larvae are remarkable, in that they undergo two separate growth phases: the first as vexillifer larvae that become very elongate and the second as tenuis larvae that shrink to about half their original length.

I feel Sorry for anything that has to live in anything anus LOL ::) ::)
borat-mankini-62408-1.jpg

Your bleaching and curing process must have nuked the host and the host protected the pearl fish ??? Amzing it survivied!

Glad it's not living in my anus and eating my gonads! :eek:

Do you intend to keep it? If you do, you would have to get hold of an unfortunate sea slug so that this guy can host it. In an aquarium environment that might be rather uncomfortable to both the parasite and the host. You would perhaps also risk the pearl fish larvae entering your main tank if that thing is pregnant.

I would suggest returning it to the ocean where it can live its life and enjoying being a pain in the butt.

They dont want people putting non native species in the ocean.

If you lived in Australia, If you get sick of your fish, literally you could bring them to ocean and put them back.

REEFLECTIONS said:
i thought we were never supposed to go from tank to ocean? i'm not being jerky, just curious if there are exceptions... ???

hmmm - this is a tough one - but the safe rule is NO exceptions.

ReeferNets said:
They dont want people putting non native species in the ocean.

If you lived in Australia, If you get sick of your fish, literally you could bring them to ocean and put them back.

I kinda agree with this but would be cautious IF your tank had other non-native species. It's rare but possible for a disease that was on say the atlantic royal gramma in the tank - to hop on the pacific clownfish that you plan on releasing back to the pacific.

One of the stories surrounding Fishzilla or the japanese snakehead fish is that it got introduced to North American waters by a guy following his traditional customs of releasing fish to the ocean as an offering.

To add to the effect of his offering, he chose a fish native to his own country and got a snakehead from the fish store for releasing in open waters.... and the rest is history.

Here are some pics of the cute little fish .. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/wild/3449/Overview#tab-Photos/1

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Please don't release anything off of New Jersey that will live in an anus or eat gonads. :)

hope you are ok with this chad - I moved this over to Fish/Fowlr since i think it's no longer an emergency.

gogol said:
mnat said:
Please don't release anything off of New Jersey that will live in an anus or eat gonads. :)

Unless you look like a sea slug from behind .. I think you are safe ;D

LOL....Actually - the fish in the amazon is supposed to inhabit only bigger fish gills - but goes into humans accidentally.

So there is a precedent that you don't necessarily have to "look" like the host for a parasite to hop in you.

AngelPete said:
the face of that thing looks like the creature in Aliens!!!

totally agreed - i'm calling it "justchad facehugger". LOL!!!