• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Leveling stand

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Steve, I agree with Matt. Left to right is most important since that's the longest length and will be most noticable (because the further away you go, the greater the level change will be so the level difference will be most significant on a long run.) When you look at the side, it's only what, 18" or 24" wide? Just get that close as you can without disturbing the left-to-right level and you should be good.

Also, whenever you HAVE to be off somewhere... I'd recommend having it tilt towards your overflow(s) instead of away from them if you can.

I believe your concern is valid. This thread seems to have taken a turn. It went from get your tank completely level to its ok to be off a bit. It has been my understanding that if the tank is off lvl then added stress is put on the seals. With that said why is it ok to be off front to back but not side to side?

Steve, for what it's worth I also had a hard time leveling my tank. I did what an earlier post suggested which was shim the four corners to get everything lvl then fill in the gaps. If you have a uncarpeted floors this is easier. Carpet makes it harder but does hide the shims somewhat. I used the bottom of tank to do this. It's a PIA but in my opinion well worth it.

It's on a concrete floor. But when I shim one corner it throws off the other. At one point I had 5-6 shims stacks up on each other and I decided that wasn't good lol

Ok. If I may offer a suggestion. I was just looking back in the thread to see what kind of shims your using. Are you still using the counter samples? That might be your problem. You should be using actual shims. Either wood or composite, I prefer wood. You can get them at HD or Loews. The are wedge shaped. Thin on one end and about 1/4" on the other. With those do each corner. Keep tapping them in little by little on each corner till the tank is lvl. With the counter samples you can fine tune the shim which I think your running into.

No. I am using composite shims now. After the last person mentioned that counter samples tend to crack I got the composite shims instead.

I started writing out a long complicated post about using 2 different levels and a tape measure. Using them to calculate shim heights and adding them all up, and then making custom shims. However, if the left to right is fine, and it is only off front to back.... just lower or raise the back a bit and your good. 10 mins and you got it. Just don't leave it out of level.