• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Upgrade? Or leave it alone?

If you were going to upgrade my lighting, what would you do? See my sig for my current light set up.

Or do you think I should leave it alone?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The big question is why would you upgrade your lighting? If your corals are doing fine under this light, then don't do anything. Now if you decided you want to try SPS or clams then yes you might want to upgrade. You can always look at a MH pendant with T5 bulbs if you want to upgrade.

Well, i'm just keeping softies and have an LPS. I was thinking more along the lines of upgrading the T5's to a 6 bulb configuration. I would love to do some sort of MH thing just to see more of a natural color and shimmer in the water in the future though.

Dave said:
Upgrade, you have a GBTA which should have a MH.

I know people that keep RBTA under PC's and are doing well and growing.

SirFragalot said:
Well, i'm just keeping softies and have an LPS. I was thinking more along the lines of upgrading the T5's to a 6 bulb configuration. I would love to do some sort of MH thing just to see more of a natural color and shimmer in the water in the future though.

Well it all come down to what you like and what you are upgrading too. If you want the shimmer than get MH. If you want less heat than get T5's. I have the Aquactinics Contallation with 14 T5 bulbs that I will be putting on my 210. I currently have T5's on my 90 and have sps on the bottom (no sand) that are growing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A 55 can run just fine on T5s. Wendy is running a 180 on T5s and has clams, elegance, and GORGEOUS SPS. Maybe more bulbs, but you don't need the heat of MH.

I wouldnt mind being able to stick with T5's. I just can't help but think that I settled for just the 4 bulb because I didnt have the patience to wait till more play money came in. I was thinking of upgrading to a 6 bulb(if I had to).

I had always heard anenome's should have MH, but after looking around some more it seems that many people are able to be successful with less.

So dis-regard the previous post of mine.

Dave said:
I had always heard anenome's should have MH, but after looking around some more it seems that many people are able to be successful with less.

So dis-regard the previous post of mine.

You get a lot of light with a lot less heat with the T5 HO's. Perhaps I can rig up another two bulb fixture to the back of my current 4 bulb one for cheap.. I don't know. Still deciding if its worth it or not.

malulu

NJRC Member
i would say keep the T5s. (less heat, and many members in the club have great success w/o MH)

for coloring, you can pick the bult that are less blue to get more natural color, and can add few bright LEDs on the side to have the shimmer effects.

You could supplement what you have with either VHO or LED lights.
VHO would give you more pop color wise and you could use your T5 at 6500 or 10K for growth.
LEDs give good shimmer in my opinion so for little energy bump you could add some LEDs blue or white ones.
What you have is equivalent to my 8x54 W on a 120 right and I have no problems with growing anything.

Footnote...I do watch my placement of corals...SPS, ZOAS middle light stuff, and LPS down lower.
I have a Derasa clam on the sandbed that is growing great.

JRWOHLER said:
You could supplement what you have with either VHO or LED lights.
VHO would give you more pop color wise and you could use your T5 at 6500 or 10K for growth.
LEDs give good shimmer in my opinion so for little energy bump you could add some LEDs blue or white ones.
What you have is equivalent to my 8x54 W on a 120 right and I have no problems with growing anything.

Footnote...I do watch my placement of corals...SPS, ZOAS middle light stuff, and LPS down lower.
I have a Derasa clam on the sandbed that is growing great.

I like the supplement idea. Any other benefit to LED's besides adding a little shimmer?

Blue ones can add some pop mine at night are very cool. There are some different LED light bars that would be rather easy to add. White or blue will both add some lighting to your tank.

JRWOHLER said:
Blue ones can add some pop mine at night are very cool. There are some different LED light bars that would be rather easy to add. White or blue will both add some lighting to your tank.

I am very open to suggestions for these LED light bars. Would I need a whole 48" one or smaller?

If you are interested in LED lights - please send me your email address via PM - I will send you something to take a look at.

SirFragalot said:
JRWOHLER said:

I am very open to suggestions for these LED light bars. Would I need a whole 48" one or smaller?

rafal07013 said:
If you are interested in LED lights - please send me your email address via PM - I will send you something to take a look at.

Don't be so secretive, share with the class.

LOL... Hmmmm.. I wonder if its about those solaris LED strips. I about crapped my shorts after seeing the price on those things. I'm just looking for links to different strips that I could add on.

I dont mind as long as I will not be accused of promoting company that is not a vendor or something.

here is the short story: I have been visiting some European forums and came across of the led lighting system for the fraction of the solaris.

here are the pics:

1.jpg

spectrum comparison between their 13k and ATI Aquablue

NewImage.jpg

the most fascinating stuff is that the guy is claiming that he makes bulbs that replace T5s and T8s and work. I am buffled by what he is saying but there is a legion of people using them and they are happy.

JRWOHLER said:
rafal07013 said:

Don't be so secretive, share with the class.

here is the pic... as I said earlier - I am not expert on it nor I want to promote anything. I am just surprised by the claims he is making and legion of people in one little country using it with a great success. If there is an expert on LED who could formulate some tough questions - please PM and I want to submit them to the company to get some answers.

01tank.jpg

SirFragalot said:
Any pics or vids of these lighte actually being used?