• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Upgrade? Or leave it alone?

Very interesting ... I would seriously consider something like that. Will have to take a look.
Not that I currently have the money for it mind you. :'(

LED systems seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper with time. I wish I knew somebody that actually ran them to get some solid data.

available length:

T5 - 36

T8 - 24 & 48

he said to me that he could make 48 T5 that would fit my NEP but I would need to take reflectors out.

Gonzapa said:
so where do you get one of those led replacement T5 bulbs. I wouldnt mind trying them out

thats what I thought too. but he is saying that you can do it and the light will work. so i have asked him 3 times with the link to current usa NEP if this will work the lamp I have. his response was - it will work.

so I decided to test it on my smaller 36' T5 lamp. I mean I will buy one bulb to see it if it will work. People pay $100 for a single polyp of purple hornet so I can pay for the LED bulb for less than $100.

SirFragalot said:
You can't switch out a T5 bulb for one of the LED ones right?

That is very cool....do you have to take your reflector out? I would think that it is just useless as the LED is directional. Please let me know how it goes. PM me the website mate so I can take a look too.

rafal07013 said:
available length:

T5 - 36

T8 - 24 & 48

he said to me that he could make 48 T5 that would fit my NEP but I would need to take reflectors out.

Gonzapa said:
so where do you get one of those led replacement T5 bulbs. I wouldnt mind trying them out

Why would you have to take the reflector out if it's just a bulb replacement?

I think you may need to take reflectors out due to size - it fits T5 fittings but might be too big witht he reflector on the side.

SirFragalot said:
rafal07013 said:
available length:

T5 - 36

T8 - 24 & 48

Gonzapa said:

Why would you have to take the reflector out if it's just a bulb replacement?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rafal, those lights looks extremely interesting. I'm curious as to how this all works as well...please keep us informed.

A couple notes about sales of LED lights in the United States - The manufacturers of Solaris (PFO Lighting) have been sued by Orbital Technologies Corporation for patent infringement. Orbital holds a patent basically covering all applications of LEDs used for aquarium application. With my knowledge of patents, I personally believe this one is pretty weak, but regardless, it has ceased all manufacture of Solaris lights, throwing them into court to defend themselves. It is also my understanding that Orbital's only interest is to license this technology. They have no interest in manufacturering aquarium lights.

Orbital's patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=mwWAAAAAEBAJ&dq=marine+aquarium+LED

redfishbluefish said:
Rafal, those lights looks extremely interesting. I'm curious as to how this all works as well...please keep us informed.

A couple notes about sales of LED lights in the United States - The manufacturers of Solaris (PFO Lighting) have been sued by Orbital Technologies Corporation for patent infringement. Orbital holds a patent basically covering all applications of LEDs used for aquarium application. With my knowledge of patents, I personally believe this one is pretty weak, but regardless, it has ceased all manufacture of Solaris lights, throwing them into court to defend themselves. It is also my understanding that Orbital's only interest is to license this technology. They have no interest in manufacturering aquarium lights.

Orbital's patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=mwWAAAAAEBAJ&dq=marine+aquarium+LED

So there is no other manufacturer of LED systems for reef tanks that is reliable?

You are correct about the patent fight between Solaris and Orbital. But it doesnt stop other smaller companies/people from doing it either in China or other European countries or even DYI version that you can find plans for on RC.

My interest in this topic was started by Wingo and his lights. But his pricing on ONE single power actnic light is about $600 while entire system runs more than $1500 for 48 inch tank. Sure it is half the solaris price, but...

some people may have $$$ to buy it - I dont. but it doesnt mean that those lights cant be done cheaper way.

so I have been searching and found a guy. He is a LFS owner and makes those lights.

where I am hitting the wall is to have a set of straight questions to ask about the quality. I really dont know what to ask him. I have been trying to go after Wingo to get some details, but it is almost like trade secret. If someone could help and add to this conversation - please feel free.

redfishbluefish said:

another pic with some readings on one of his bulbs:

northern.jpg