• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Local Inhabitants

hey guys im also in waretown and go out every year, mainly for bait but in the many years i have collected just about anything thast can be found in the shallows, the 1st tank i set up i had actually caught a lookdown and kept it in the tank till i had time to donate it to jenkinsons aquarium, i also have a boat so if anyone wants to head out and try im more then willing to go out anytime...weekend or weekday

Just to give this thread a bump, Seahorses are in and Also Naked Gobys ( Gobiosoma bosc ) I have kept these in my reef for years, really neet when you see them.
Greg

I'm thinking of going down this weekend to get a bunch of shrimp, and maybe some small crabs for my eel to try:eagerness:.

Went out last saturday and just scooped a couple of times. Caught some stuff but nothing crazy. Would have done more but the biting flies were crazy and I had my 3 yr old so I couldn't stay in the marshy bays. I mainly caught grass shrimp and sand shrimp.
IMG-20120519-01203.jpg

Went out last saturday and just scooped a couple of times. Caught some stuff but nothing crazy. Would have done more but the biting flies were crazy and I had my 3 yr old so I couldn't stay in the marshy bays. I mainly caught grass shrimp and sand shrimp.
IMG-20120519-01203.jpg

very nice

I am down in Brigantine and we have an awesome jetty, almost 3/4 of a mile long. It travels along the side of an inlet. So, I think collecting would be easy as well as fun because you can drive your vehicles on to the beach. I surf on the other side of the jetty and have seen tons of livestock in the rocks and all around them. The dolphins often use the jety as a tool to trap fish. Very cool thing to see. I am definitely interested in jumpin' in and collecting.

im interested to so if anyone wants to go out let me know..i'm walking distance to a couple areas that are great for collecting

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is just me and my phobias, or is anyone else concerned about introducing unwanted parasites/bacteria/badassstuff into their tanks from wild caught stuff?

It is just me and my phobias, or is anyone else concerned about introducing unwanted parasites/bacteria/badassstuff into their tanks from wild caught stuff?

If I had Higher end corals I would probably care more, plus most of the stuff I caught is rinsed in clean water then rinsed in FW then dumped into the tank. Also most of this stuff is food for my eel. ;)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd stay away from local snails. A fellow member harvested some local snails and ended up having multiple skin reactions, some of which put him in the hospital. It took some time, but eventually figured out the snails contained the parasites that cause swimmers itch.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been putting those grass shrimp in my reef for decades and there are probably 20 of them in there now.
Shluzer, I put those anemones in my reef but they did not survive long. I throw them in all the time but they disappear so it is probably better not to add them.

It is just me and my phobias, or is anyone else concerned about introducing unwanted parasites/bacteria/badassstuff into their tanks from wild caught stuff?​

Many people are paranoid about that stuff. I have always added it and still do. Every week I collect amphipods, seaweed, snails, and mud for the bacteria and dump it in the tank. I have not had a problem yet, maybe when the tank is 50 years old there will be a problem. But if you don't have my tank and do what I do, maybe you also should not. But if you do and have a problem, don't blame me:culpability:

These are in my reef
Project17.png

And five gallons of amphipods.
amphipods002.jpg

I also have amphipods in my tank and they are a good cleanup crew. Population right now is like roches. If you shine a flashlight in my tank right now its like tuning a light on in a kitchen in a roch infested house. I also have the shrimp, and snails. About 2 years ago a had a huge shrimp population in my 135 gal until I went through a FO stage where I had a puffer fish. Now I'm slowly restocking. If it wasn't for the fact that I fed most of them to my eel I'd probably have about 30 or so in my little 42 bow.