• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Majano Wand or High powered laser for aiptasia removal

http://www.dhgate.com/product/the-b...er-pointers/160544534.html#s1-17-1|3263106166

Here is a 10w one!

However I read someplace that 5w was the strongest a person can privately own.

9A51E01E-CB6C-457F-B811-9B2AB77147FA_zps52ncphk2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BA7C5A73-9537-4690-B2D0-8D5F4CF902DE_zpsno82t70m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gee whiz, that thing looks like a major-large light sabor from Star Wars......mine is bigger than yours!

Matt, with you going zap-happy, I just envision you with a snarky psycho smirk on your face, with that laser glow in your eyes, while you're vaporizing everything.

:eek: :eek:

In this case mine is bigger! If you want go out front of your house and look south. I'll shine it in the sky and I bet you can see it. My buddy lives a few blocks away and I told him to look up and he could see it go past his house. I am going to walk down to the river this weekend at night and see if I can hit the PA side.
It also came with 5 different tips you can screw on it and makes really cool designs.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
maybe the club could invest in one and we could share it around...like a berghia nudibranch...lol.

And who might accept the liability when some blithering idiot member shoots that laser at a plane. I hate to be negative Nancy, but unfortunately you have to think about these things in today's environment.

And who might accept the liability when some blithering idiot member shoots that laser at a plane. I hate to be negative Nancy, but unfortunately you have to think about these things in today's environment.

Or goes blind.

I don't mind bringing it to somebody's house to use it. I would be a little weary about passing it around. It would like lending revolver to somebody. You really do need to treat it like a firearm.

I do remember somebody even taking a photo while shining it up in the sky... Hmmm

I think the logistics and liability are too much, even the logistics for a PAR meter couldn't be worked out, lol

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Or goes blind.

I don't mind bringing it to somebody's house to use it. I would be a little weary about passing it around. It would like lending revolver to somebody. You really do need to treat it like a firearm.

This times a thousand.

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/rules-US-consumers/rules-US-consumers.html

Hopefully this clears up the wattage issue. Although we know the 5w works well, would anything higher be over kill and dangerous to other corals, me personally I have about 87% covered majano covered tank... I have tried so many different methods so I hope this works. So far my best method has been fragging some piece of coral I have had in my tank for probably the past 10 years, nothing messes with that coral and it is the only thing that successfully kills/evicts majanos in my tank. The laser sounds like a good idea though.

I was messing with the laser I got and I took it apart to see what it was made of. On it was stamped that it is only a 1.6w laser. It isnt 5w like they had it listed for. I had to open up a complaint with dhgate and I finally got them to refund me $70 for false advertising. So I know the one I have will kill mojano and that is only 1.6w. I can't possibly imagine what a 5w can do.

It won't kill the hydroids I was hoping it would. I think because they are to white/clear in color.

My new biggest fear is the fish swimming into the beam. I kept my finger on the off button just in case a fish swam into the beam. They didn't but it still worries me.

You guys are nuts...glad I have a FOWLER. My thoughts exactly - what happens when the $300.00 Angel Fish swims thru the beam?