• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Markos Finnex

i know chalices in general are low light, but i got all these frags fresh cut from a guys tank as i pointed and said "X dollars of that". the hollywood stunner was about midway in the tank, under a 150W metal halide (looked like 14000k) - so i put it in the same position, and it seems to be doing good. if i notice any signs of bleaching, i can shade it and then slowly lighten the shading until its acclimated to that lighting.
yeah the sweepers are something, but they get pushed to the right and forward, and there isnt anything there for it to sting.

spidey, i posted an FTS along with the closeups 22hrs ago. :) nothing has changed in those 22 hrs, except the plate looks even worse - its a goner.

That chalice (stunner) can tolerate a wide range of lighting. Grows quick and besides all it's aggressiveness,a nice looking coral.

i know chalices in general are low light, but i got all these frags fresh cut from a guys tank as i pointed and said "X dollars of that". the hollywood stunner was about midway in the tank, under a 150W metal halide (looked like 14000k) - so i put it in the same position, and it seems to be doing good. if i notice any signs of bleaching, i can shade it and then slowly lighten the shading until its acclimated to that lighting.
yeah the sweepers are something, but they get pushed to the right and forward, and there isnt anything there for it to sting.

spidey, i posted an FTS along with the closeups 22hrs ago. :) nothing has changed in those 22 hrs, except the plate looks even worse - its a goner.

Ah, didn't read that, only saw the one from a week ago lol. Still looks good. Sucks about the plate.

since its plating, and not just encrusting, i like quick growth - the plates are thin and easy to snap to make frags. and the frags can help pay for the salt/suppliments/etc.
and as long as it keeps the pale blue and green coloration, i dont mind the aggression. if it ends up browning, i wont be as forgiving.

i hope to have it look much better as things grow out. im also trying to get the xenia off the rock and onto the back wall. i got 2 already. then i can put something else there and let xenias spread on that side of the back wall. im thinking about growing 2-3 dif zoas on the left side of the back wall, but im worried that i might slack and they would spread onto the rocks where i dont want them.

im looking for suggestions on what to keep on left side underneath the diagonal spike. the rock ledge there is pretty wide and i dont want to keep it bare, but it gets only a little direct light from 1 of the T5s, and only ambient light from the other T5 and MH, so its a pretty low light area. i guess maybe riccordea could work. im not crazy about them though. any ideas?

The heavy feeding would decrease my water quality. I want my sps to stay colorful.
Also they could suffer when I'm on vacation - I need the tank to be able to survive 2 weeks without my intervention.
I do agree that sun corals are gorgeous though.

some nice polyp extension on some of my new sps under just the actinics.
qjfz.jpg

oha7.jpg

hf5o.jpg

enei.jpg

leaving for 2 weeks. heres how the tank is pre-vacation:

FTS:
sxvd.jpg

helfrichs firefish:
12z1.jpg

2zcr.jpg

clowns:
j2tn.JPG

0ll5.jpg

jlah.jpg

the last touch of flesh on the tazmanian devil chalice:
fsk3.jpg

meteor shower cyphastrea:
rkn6.jpg

darth maul porites:
xpqh.jpg

pink birdsnest:
d0v1.jpg

a. suharsoni:
5cne.jpg

acro:
3dtp.jpg

pink stylophora:
pjlh.JPG

9efi.jpg

torch:
5act.jpg

favites:
t4mj.jpg

acans:
z043.jpg

mxno.jpg

holywood stunner chalice:
50ef.jpg

purple polyp stylophora:
pz9j.jpg

variety is the spice of life. still want to add a few montis.

i dose Ca++, CO3--, and a little extra Mg++ with water changes.

got back a few days ago. no damage :D

everything grew a bit, though some things lost their color. not too shocking since the skimmer cup wasnt emptied for 2 weeks, so there was not skimming going on.

i forgot to adjust the white balance before taking the pics, so everything looks a bit washed out. but im too lazy to retake them:

nn59.jpg

00e7.jpg

h294.jpg

5hp7.jpg

bw6s.jpg

m9pv.jpg

eokf.jpg

o1u7.jpg

uu6y.jpg

jcbj.jpg

since i got back, some of my corals have been showing a lot more polyp expansion than before. probably cuz ive been feeding more heavily. i snapped some pictures.

acro suharsonoi

2rln.jpg

darth maul porites

hclh.jpg

red planet acro

em93.jpg

thank you :).
speaking of great corals... my plate coral formed its first anthocauli. WOOOO! hopefully it makes more, but hey at least with this one (assuming nothing goes wrong with my tank) means i wont lose the coral. at it is a very gorgeous coral - pale with a bright purple mouth and rim.

its the size of a pinhead so pictures are crappy - but now that ive spotted it, i can feed it and hopefully it will grow up to fast, and more anthocauli form as well.

f24j.jpg

evhu.jpg

rb4t.jpg

i have to lower the exposure on my camera - and get my white balance better. the pics are consistently too bright - and either bluer than in real life, or not blue enough. in this case not blue enough.

but heres some pics.

FTS:

6hbc.jpg

gold torch:

jpuk.jpg

favites:

k7ue.jpg

green lavender acan

jg5x.jpg

red pink acan:

6erd.jpg

zoas to be mounted on the back wall:

dpee.jpg

tq05.jpg

acro (prostrata maybe?):

zfz2.jpg

superman monti:

b9z0.jpg

pink stylophora:

52j1.jpg

acro:

tv0y.jpg

acro suharsoni (NOTE: this is bright glowing green - not brown. my pics do a poor job of capturing the florescence so you dont see the green):

tv0y.jpg

blue stag acro:

o5le.jpg

green milli acro:

jg97.jpg

acro valida - needs to color up:

k3cc.jpg

mystic sunset monti:

7bn5.jpg

pink birds nest:

wjk6.jpg

acro echinata:

dj76.jpg

porites:

wu1e.jpg

red planet acro:

kb0w.jpg

hollywood stunner chalice:

7ph2.jpg

nauti spiral monti:

2fgg.jpg

purple stylophora:

s883.jpg

a few days ago, a bunch of my corals started browning out, i tested everything and did a water change - but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. but yesterday i found the problem. one of my pumps was not plugged in (the plug was in the socket but not all the way and did not have contact), and that pump pushes water through my chiller which controls my heater as well. the chiller dropped to air temp, and the heater went on. the heater has its own off control, but it raised the water to ~80 when it is usually 78. not too dangerous for the water to hit 80, but sustained for several days i can see how it pissed some of the corals off. fortunately there seems to be no real damage.

sunday i went to the manhattan frag swap, and picked up a bunch of cool stuff.

pics from last night with actnics:

FTS-

strawberry shortcake (from POP corals)-

blueberry leptastrea-

ponape birdsnest-

cali tort-

tubbs monti stellata (from JF)-

purple haze monti-

starburst monti (had for a month, but never took a closeup):

daylight pics:

FTS-

blueberry-