• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mark's 65 Gallon Reef Tank Adventure

I realized that I hadn't started a tale of the tank thread. I will add a few shots one post at a time until I catch up.

This picture was taken (Dec 2015) after the cycle and the introduction of my first fish. I went with a 65 gallon tank as it was the biggest I could find for a 3 foot wide area. I couldn't fit a sump in my stand, so I started with a combination of a hang on power filter, Canister filter, and protein skimmer. I used live sand, a rock from a different tank (the dark red) and a bacteria starter). Like everyone else, waiting for the tank to cycle was very hard.

The Aqueon Quiet Flow 75 power filter was a great choice that I don't regret. I would have preferred a sump.
I like the way it helps aerate the water and create top to bottom flow. The catch is, you need to replace the filter pads often which adds up in cost. But it does act like a filter sock with carbon in it. And it does take out a lot of debris.

The canister filter may not have been the best choice as it probably will result in too many phosphates. Some have recommended I clean it weekly for this reason.

Lastly, I selected an oversized hang-on filter, primarily since the one recommended for my volume was not there, and I prefer to get items through local stores. Breaking in a new hang on protein skimmer was not without problems. With no bio-film, the tank was full of bubbles. You don't see that in the photos because I turned it off to get the tank shot. I will talk a little more about the protein skimmer issues in a later addition.

The rocks to the left were a dry rock I purchased on line. They are pretty dense. I added some Texas Holey Rock for some swim throughs. They are even denser. Unfortunately, I placed the rocks too close to the glass, which causes problems cleaning the glass. This not a very artistic setup.

IMG_0929.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
When I started my 36 tank years ago I had a Quiet Flow and I agree those hob filters are top of the line I think. I ended up giving it to a buddy when I upgraded to my 54 (with sump). No about the filter part costing money. I am back on my 36 and I have a in-tank filter to act as my filter sock. I took the filter pad it came with and cut it off. I then wrap filter floss (got like a 1,000 foot roll for like $3 from wal-mart) around the frame. I then swap that when it gets clogged (which I got lazy earlier this week and did which then lead to me killing my power stripe)

Yes, one thing to remember is that when they get clogged, water goes over the top. They now have LED lights on to warn you before it spills over. I have a 2nd one if the first dies as it is a primary aerator. Plus it is the only mechanical equipment I have attached to my battery backup in case power is lost to keep flow going.
I wasn't real happy with the base rock. One day when I went to the Aquarium Care Center, I noticed lots of coral pieces for sale. The had come from someone's tank and been cleaned up. I felt they would be much better at biological filtration, so I got some. I should have changed the base rock, but I didn't. I ended up with what looked like a mountain range in my fish tank. With the exception of the yellow tang, I planned on having small fish so I felt it had enough swim throughs.
IMG_1049.JPG

If you look in the picture above, you can see the yellow tang with a fire shrimp, possibly to get groomed. The first few weeks, this shrimp would come scampering over to take food from my hand. After the tank matured more, he could get food on his own so he now comes out when I feed the fish. My wife has seen him on the yellow tang a few times. I haven't.
IMG_1119.JPG

I like the rock wall and see some interesting possibilities for mounting things at different levels. I'm a small tank & fish guy too and love a big tank filled with small fish.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i really like the tank too ...but one question how did you get the mini blind to look that good in the tank ... Good way to cut down on the sunlight/

but one question how did you get the mini blind to look that good in the tank
The tank is where a desk would normally go in what was my son's bedroom, but now more of my office/library/man cave. The window is close, so I have learned to photograph when it is dark outside, shoot from the window side, or shoot close to the glass to avoid the reflection. Occasionally I use morning light inside my tank to photograph my purple sponge which is normally in the shadows, such as in the photo below.
IMG_6457.JPG

Speaking of this purple sponge. It is my first NJRC coral I won at the raffle from my first NJRC meeting at Anthony's house. I also got my first asteria with it as well.
IMG_1985.JPG
You can still see the plug. It has attached to several rocks now. Again, this one taken with the shades up. I guess I can't use this photo for the photo contest now.
DSCN4355.JPG

In the last full tank shot, you can see 2 circular sponges around the return from the protein skimmer when it was ne. That is to keep bubbled from entering the tank through return slots. There was another above the water to allow bubbles to pop without splattering. I only use that one now as there are few bubbles coming out of the slots. A bigger problem I had was that when the HOB protein skimmer turned on, it would overflow the return side before it started flowing into the return drain. I took one of the sponges an placed it at the hole to more quickly start flowing. I should note that this is partially due top the high water level I keep for the power filter. There is an elastic ring around the cup. I only use it as a location guide. If you don't tighten the set screw (hidden by the sponge) the cup will drop as it fills, and then the wet skimmate will overflow the cup lid.

IMG_1795.JPG

It is kind of funny seeing your tank on Facebook. This is my tank now, a year later, almost 2 years old. I changed to flow direction from my canister filter and lost a few of the Ricordeas. There is a harry mushroom there now that loves the location and has split 2 times. I still have some of the Ricordea babies, just below and to the left of the Duncan. My green star polyps slowly regressed. I had them on the sand bed to prevent them spreading. I had a Devil's Hand that just kept flopping over. My trumpet coral split, and then later receded. I haven't had much luck with zoas so the top is becoming will have more acans which do well there. A few new acans are on the bottom of the aquarium. I have reduces the number and size of my power heads and well as their direction, as I think many of my problems were flow related. When one goes on, I get the micro bubbles from the protein skimmer you see in these pictures. My fish are a yellow tang, a yellow wrasse, 2 clown fish, a royal dottyback and a diamond Goby (the last two are seen in the bottom picture. I tried a pipe organ coral, but it did not last long. The blue sympodia came in as a hitch hiker. Cyanobacteria is also ever present, but not too big of a problem. The asterina stars leave white spots behind where they eat the coraline algae. Note the purple sponge behind the clown fish with the fire shrimp below. I have some peppermint shrimp as well. When I tried to get a loose mushroom, one came out to greet me. Usually I only see them at night, or occasionally during feeding time if a pellet drops near them.

IMG_6827.JPG
My Royal Dottyback and the diamond Goby like to spend their day behind the rock wall. The wrasse dives into the sand if I move a light. The Yellow tang likes to swim through the tight openings of the rock, as does the Dottyback and Gramma.
IMG_6837.JPG

My tank came with 2 glass tops and a T8 florescent fixture. I replaced the bulb with an actinic bulb and supplemented with two 36" Orbit Marine light strips that sit just over the tank. Unfortunately, algae grows on the glass to reduce the light getting to the tank. The glass does tend to control evaporation enough that hand topping with fresh water once a week is adequate. It also keeps salt spry from the lights. The light spreads out quickly at 120 degrees, so 2 strips down the middle light the tank well enough to grow coralline algae on all glass and rock surfaces.
lid 1.JPG lid 2.JPG

Last night while looking into the tank with a UV flashlight (does anyone else do this, or use a red flashlight?), I noticed a bunch of baby shrimp swimming in the water column. No sign of them tonight. I also noticed for the first time in 2 years one of my clown fish swimming in the toadstool mushroom tentacles. It is the smaller male, so I don't think it was spawning.
IMG_6935.JPG

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
you do take some good pics mark . Mine look as they are done with a playschool camera.

Well, I can't seem to win any photo contests though. I have some eye problems, so I take a lot of pictures to help me see what is in my tank. Sometimes a few come out OK. Most are not so good. I have noticed that Mark from Ultimate Corals and ACC use basic underwater cameras to take pictures. ACCs is like my underwater camera, which is why I noticed it. It has a macro setting and an underwater setting.

Real nice tank! I have a 65 as well so it's nice to see another setup with the same dimensions. I use a HOB protein skimmer and fuge with chaeto, no additional filter--what are your thoughts on how the filter's helping/hurting the system? I'm a long-time FW hobbyist, new to SW.

Real nice tank! I have a 65 as well so it's nice to see another setup with the same dimensions. I use a HOB protein skimmer and fuge with chaeto, no additional filter--what are your thoughts on how the filter's helping/hurting the system? I'm a long-time FW hobbyist, new to SW.
First, I believe redundancy is important. My power filter takes out a whole lot of debris before it ever becomes small enough for the protein skimmer. Since it has carbon in it, I don't need another source of carbon. If I had SPS, I would change the filter cartridges every week. The best part is that it moves water from the top to the bottom. The protein skimmer returns it near the top. I also have it on my backup power supply for emergencies. When I blow cyanobacteria off in my tank, it takes a while to come back, so the filter probably removes some of it when in the water column.
The downside is that I have to keep my water level higher than I would like, so I get more salt creep around the protein skimmer due to bubbles. But the worst aspect is that it also filters out live items. I find amphipods and copepods in it that could have been fish food. The baby shrimp probably got caught up in it as well. But with 2 years and no significant algae bloom, I think it has done fairly well. If you buy copepods, buy the benthic type.
I am thinking of removing my canister filter. I don't need to flow and you can't clean it out as often, so I would expect higher phosphates. I do get cyanobacteria to a small extent, and I would like to see if this helps remove it. As an aside, copepods and amphipods help keep cyanobacteria in check. If you remove them, cyanobacteria tends to bloom. My wrasse helps keep the pod count low. I like the idea of a refugium, but it would have to be HOB in my tank.

Last edited: