• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mark's 65 Gallon Reef Tank Adventure

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
IMG_1994.JPG I have been using fluval canisters for years with no problem. The way I treat the canister is like a sump. There are no pads inside to collect food/poo. The only thing inside is a (2)bag of BRS Rox carbon and Matrix biomedia. I replace the (1) carbon bag per month.

I placed attached a CPR overflow box in the tank. Inside the box I placed a light grate to float in the middle. On top of the grate I place felt to act as a filter sock. The debris is trapped there and not in the canister. The filter pad is easily changed ever other day. I have the canister intake and the hob skimmer intake also inside the overflow box

I have been having a few problems with my SPS. The Duncan lost 3 heads. I check parameters, changed carbon and a 15 gallons or water change.
IMG_7174.JPG
My coralline algae is disappearing due to the asterina sea stars. I placed a harlequin into the tank. I rarely have one on my glass, but there were 4 on today. You can see the shrimp in the background with one of the asterina on the glass.
IMG_7163.JPG
One of those on the glass changed colors from green to white, even when back on the rock.
IMG_7208.JPG

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If you see 4, you may have alot more than that.

I know I have a ton in my tank

I have a lot in my tank. And they are always green. But they usually stay on the rocks because I had lots of coralline algae. It is funny that when I put the harlequin in, several went to the glass or turned white like they were afraid. I sort of reminded me that when a killer whale kills a great white, all the great whites in the area leave.

After 2 + years, I am starting to get some algae. I am not sure if it is hair algae or some form of mat algae. The tang, angelfish and emerald crabs do not seam to eat it. I have tried removing a few covered live rocks. I also placed cardboard in my window to cut out some daylight. I attribute this more to the use of a canister filter and possibly my HOB protein skimmer setting (dry). I installed a HOB refugium today and will start it up when I get some chaetomorpha algae (or preferably some Dragon's breath). I realized I hadn't posted in a while. This setup is more like an all-in-one than a reef setup, as I don't have room for a sump in my stand. I wouldn't recommend it for an LPS or SPS reef tank. I now have an ATO installed as well.

Tank2.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have never tried this product but have heard it works. Right now my algae is being eaten by 5 turbo snails but they cause a massive amount of poop!:eek: Being bare bottomed I see it collecting in the front of my tank floor. I vacuum it out daily

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
correct mark redirect growth of algae to some where else with cheato.cut down on feeding too.snails....