• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marks...Back to the Future..Reef Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Nice change. I like the second one better. Can't wait to see some life in there!

Started the skimmer yesterday and pulled this up, evidently those are two dirty shrimp...I had heard it was going to take a while to get the Tunze running properly, but only took overnight.

skimate.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Like the second scape better mark. More open sand for high end lps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captains log: Day 8 of cycle June 4th, 2014

Temp: 78.5
Salinity 1.024
Phosphate: 0.24
Ammonia 0.8
Nitrite 0.5

I bit concerned about the phosphate, even have small 1/2 cup of GFO running.

Also two shrimp in nylon are almost gone. I'd say about 20% left, should I ghost feed when they are gone?

Latest scape design:
tank4.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Mark. What was your source for the rock? I used the brs dry ecosaver and it did leach po4 for a while. I just ran gfo agressivly. Iv heard marcorocks also has the same issue. As for the cycle. Id throw some more shrimp in if it was me. You want a nice strong cycle and your only 8 days in. Are you seeing any nitrates yet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mark. What was your source for the rock? I used the brs dry ecosaver and it did leach po4 for a while. I just ran gfo agressivly. Iv heard marcorocks also has the same issue. As for the cycle. Id throw some more shrimp in if it was me. You want a nice strong cycle and your only 8 days in. Are you seeing any nitrates yet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My rock has 3 large BRS reef saver pieces that I soaked a long time and the rest is all reef-rock that I rinsed and placed in the tank.. It has a great rep for little phosphate. Haven't tested nitrates yet. I guess it time...

I'll get some more shrimp...thanks!

edit...just did a nitrate test...its 2

Last edited:
The shrimp Are adding phosphate as well. I would also add more shrimp. When your see only nitrates you will want to ghost feed.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.