• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marks...Back to the Future..Reef Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I'm trying to imitate:

cpfarm.jpg

Woooohooo. That looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Here is the latest:

I've spent the last few hours balancing the system and what a PITA that was...
I also had to fix my dry emergency...thank goodness I tested it...!
Had to raise my return line outflows, I was siphoning too much water back to the sump.
My return pump motor spills some nasty vibration/noise. I did the mouse pad trick and it helped. I also will add 12" of flex ASAP to reduce the vibration more.

Here it is as of a few minutes ago:

10304568_10202457744712481_1809711708537235902_n.jpg

Last edited:
Temp and salinity just about there, will add the flex pipe later today (too much vibration/noise) and probably start the cycle very soon. I plan on doing a lights out cycle. I saw a BRS video where they say a dark period on initial start up gives you a bio film on the rock that help prevent algae from attaching to the rock somewhat.

Question...I plan on running GFO and skimmer when cycle starts. Is that the standard way to go?

Last edited:
The gfo won't hurt the cycle, however I personally wouldn't run the skimmer while cycling. It could remove organics with the tank would use to cycle, which would slow the process down.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
GFO is not a bad thing. I read that it will nip any leaching phosphates early.

Skimmer maybe not... Cause u want the bacteria to be colonized in your rock and system and not extracted via skmmate

Temp and salinity just about there, will add the flex pipe later today (too much vibration/noise) and probably start the cycle very soon. I plan on doing a lights out cycle. I saw a BRS video where they say a dark period on initial start up gives you a bio film on the rock that help prevent algae from attaching to the rock somewhat.

Question...I plan on running GFO and skimmer when cycle starts. Is that the standard why to go?

Thanks guys...didn't want to mess with the skimmer anyway. Still kicking up some dust from the sand as I'm fiddling with the tank.

I've just read through all 44 pages of this and I must say, A+ on everything. Most people dive head first into this hobby, and end up making a ton of poor choices. You seem to have taken your time with everything, and had a goal in mind. I'm extremely happy that you have it up and running and can't wait to see it come to life! A+ again :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.