• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marks...Back to the Future..Reef Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just read through all 44 pages of this and I must say, A+ on everything. Most people dive head first into this hobby, and end up making a ton of poor choices. You seem to have taken your time with everything, and had a goal in mind. I'm extremely happy that you have it up and running and can't wait to see it come to life! A+ again :)!

Wow...thanks so much!
I think as we get older we learn to appreciate the journey as much as the end result. Plus being a little OCD helps. :) I started viewing each task as a separate project and it helped me from being overwhelmed. And by taking my time I could break up the expense over my Visa card cycles...lol I also got a lot of help from the members here and on Reef Central. Its been a lot of fun...

Again, I really appreciate you reading the thread and understanding the dynamics of how I approached this project.

All my best...

Mark...

PS: My skimmer choice still might bite me...I'm still not 100% sure on that one...Dance

Question: My sand came with small bags of "bio clarifer" Any reason I shouldn't use them? My tank is clearing up, but still have dust settling.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bio-clarifers clear your water by imparting a charge to the tiny particles that either aggregate or "stick" to other surfaces OR are flocculating agents that cause the small particles to floc, forming larger particles that will settle or get filtered out.

Bio-clarifers clear your water by imparting a charge to the tiny particles that either aggregate or "stick" to other surfaces OR are flocculating agents that cause the small particles to floc, forming larger particles that will settle or get filtered out.

Thanks for the replies. Would you us it? I have 9 small packs of the stuff.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you know what type of clarifer you have........does it say if it's a flocculant or bio"magnet" type of clarifer? And do you know what you have floating around your tank? Either way, filtration is what removes the larger particles that are formed. If you're still seeing hazy water after three or four days, I'd give it a shot.

I've used it on several different set ups, with no ill affects. But then again, I tend to build set ups with cured rock, bio-active sand, and water from a 30 year established system. Usually have a tank up and running with no cycle in 2-3 days :p

Do you know what type of clarifer you have........does it say if it's a flocculant or bio"magnet" type of clarifer? And do you know what you have floating around your tank? Either way, filtration is what removes the larger particles that are formed. If you're still seeing hazy water after three or four days, I'd give it a shot.

Its the bio magnet stuff that came with the Carbsea pink Fiji sand. Its mostly a slight cloudness to the water and dust that sticks to the tank and sump. Each day I wipe the tank down and the filter sock is gradually picking it up.

I've used it on several different set ups, with no ill affects. But then again, I tend to build set ups with cured rock, bio-active sand, and water from a 30 year established system. Usually have a tank up and running with no cycle in 2-3 days :p

Nice! The sand is supposedly live sand, but I have my doubts about its use-fullness.

As my cycle starts I thought I start throwing out some possible residents for the new tank.

I have a green chromis who has been hanging out in my frag tank with his yellow fin damsel friend. He gets first shot of the new tank, the damsel goes in the sump.

After that, it will be QT time for everyone. My only reservation is how do you QT a jaw fish in a BB tank?

Some other possible residents are pajama cardinals, flame angel, eventually a clown pair. Firefish...to name a few. I'm leery about any tangs, they are beautiful, but seem to be disease magnets.

I really want a peaceful tank. I'm going with a less is more approach.

Love to hear some suggestions from you guys.

Flame angel is my favorite fish always had one and never any problems I wouldn't pass on the tangs great for the tank as long as there happy and well fed you shouldn't have any problems I had a PBT...clown tang...yellow tang all great fish definitely a must have in the reef tank IMO

Tangs are a fine addition, as long as you QT them. And what you can do for the jaw fish, is get a little like hamster cage (the plastic ones with the plastic lids). Fill that with water, and then add sand to it. Put some type of hideyhole (I.E. PVC/Flowerpot/Etc) in it. I'd recommend cutting a hole in the plexiglass lid that opens (drilling a small hole in it would be sufficient) so you can use a turkey baster to squirt food in for it. Then put it directly inside of the QT tank. Be careful with the flame angels. As with any type of angel, their temperament will dictate whether or not they will nip at certain corals (polyps for example). I think (I.M.O.) you should do at least one or two tangs. QT them together (introduce them into the QT at the same time) and add to the DT at the same time. This will help cut down any aggression that might show up. Hippo Tangs are great :)!

Edit: Also, be careful with Clown Tangs. I've heard horror stories about them being perfectly peaceful fish for years, and then going completely homicidal and killing just about everything in the tank. I've heard the nick name Jekyll and Hyde used for them on several occasions.

I agree love tangs, Anthony hit it right on the head you can mix 1 hippo plus any other and they don't seem to care in the least. You are doing everything right so really there shouldn't be any special problems with ich.

I'd be hesitant about doing a Achilles in a tank that size. Granted, length-wise it's great. But, I'd look for even more depth in a tank for that fish. I've tried a few in a 150 before, and they did great until they started to grow larger. Less room = more stress = this fish dieing very quickly. Personally, I'd do a Hippo (Either the regular, or a yellow belly [regal]) and a Purple Tang. Two of my favorite tangs :)

Thanks for all the fish feedback...looks like I'm leaning towards the hippo...keep them coming!

As I hit the 48 hour mark of the cycle, I ran the obligatory tests:

All Red Sea test kits, but Hanna for the Phosphate...
On many of these, the colors were extremely close. I even borrowed my sons eyes for a second opinion.

Temp 78.2
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.3 this one could of been a .2 or .4...we spit in the middle
Nitrite 0
Nitrate...skipped...figured no nitrite, should be no nitrate in the early stages.
Phosphate 0.07
Ph 8 very close, could be 7.8
kh 9 Also close could be 10

Current picture, gets clearer...

10154432_10202483696001247_5567527131599747647_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.