• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marks...Back to the Future..Reef Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
sump.jpg

I'm thinking of my sump...too much? :) If only I had a truck...lol...

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That is the sellers boat. Am I nuts to use this as my sump?

I don't think you're crazy to use that as a sump. I would weigh everything out and see if you think it will work for you. In my opinion the more water volume the better. But on that note the more water volume the more salt you will use, the more rodi water you will use, and the equipment you get will need to handle all that water volume as well. Also look into acrylic fabrication and see if you think it's something you will be able to do yourself or if you will need to pay someone to do. This would be for adding baffles and such. If you don't feel comfortable surely someone here can help.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A truck! Slap that thing on the roof with a couple straps and take it home. Trucks are used for BIG loads:

small-truck-big-load-funny.jpg

Ok...I see I can save a couple of hundred on the 100 gallon brute. Its not as sexy as a tank, but very cost effective. As always I have questions:

1, Are these food ie reef safe. I found food grade 32 gallon Brutes for my RO/DI, but didn't notice any reference to the 100 gallon Brutes.

2. Do people add baffles to these? Is micro bubbles an issue.

3. Any issues with heaters and the plastic?

4. Seems the stock bulkheads leak, will need to replace.

5. Anything else you guys want to add?

6. Amazon has them for 79.99...any better places to buy? Need to ship, cant fit in Crossfire or Jeep...

Thanks!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Awesome Paul :grin:
Mark that would make a great sump if you have the room.
A lot of guys use the stock tanks as sumps the only prob I see is there usually black or dark gray and its hard to see in them where as the tank you can easily see inside..

Awesome Paul :grin:
Mark that would make a great sump if you have the room.
A lot of guys use the stock tanks as sumps the only prob I see is there usually black or dark gray and its hard to see in them where as the tank you can easily see inside..

I have tons of room. The tank has lots of nasty scratches and the back of it even has a built in wet/dry filter. (that I probably wouldn't use.) The scratches don't really matter. I was hoping I could make it a sump, refug and frag tank all in one, since its 6ft long. The visuals of the sump will be nicer to look at as you mention. Also probably less evaporation. The cost of the tank is $150, but its about 2 hours away and the truck rental and transport costs will be another 150. Not bad, but the brute is cheaper. I have a day to decide. Decisions decisions...

Ok...I see I can save a couple of hundred on the 100 gallon brute. Its not as sexy as a tank, but very cost effective. As always I have questions:

1, Are these food ie reef safe. I found food grade 32 gallon Brutes for my RO/DI, but didn't notice any reference to the 100 gallon Brutes.

2. Do people add baffles to these? Is micro bubbles an issue.

3. Any issues with heaters and the plastic?

4. Seems the stock bulkheads leak, will need to replace.

5. Anything else you guys want to add?

6. Amazon has them for 79.99...any better places to buy? Need to ship, cant fit in Crossfire or Jeep...

Thanks!

Mark, try tractor supply in allentown should have the stock tanks. There are a lot of threads on reefcentral that you can look at to see how people set them up. They are reef safe, no issues with the heater, people do replace the bulkheads but take a look.

Mark, try tractor supply in allentown should have the stock tanks. There are a lot of threads on reefcentral that you can look at to see how people set them up. They are reef safe, no issues with the heater, people do replace the bulkheads but take a look.

I went through the first 10 pages. Some amazing stuff...Do to the size of the Brute, if I go in that direction. I will have it shipped. Still trying to decide.

Looks like a pretty awesome build. What are the dimensions on the tank? Looks tall for a 180 if it is the standard dimensions.

So what does the basement look like? You should start posting some sketches or something so we can start seeing how this is going to be laid out and such.

I know the brute containers work well for sumps, but they are ugly lol. Why not look into getting a few 75g tanks as sumps? Gravity can be your friend when working with plumbing, why not use it to your advantage.

Looks like a pretty awesome build. What are the dimensions on the tank? Looks tall for a 180 if it is the standard dimensions.

So what does the basement look like? You should start posting some sketches or something so we can start seeing how this is going to be laid out and such.

I know the brute containers work well for sumps, but they are ugly lol. Why not look into getting a few 75g tanks as sumps? Gravity can be your friend when working with plumbing, why not use it to your advantage.

The 180 is 72X24X24 I'm going to see if I can tie down that 120g to the top of my Jeep. And it will be a basement sump. I'll also have to put up some basement pictures.

More sump pictures: Going to try to pick it up tomorrow and tie it down to the top of my Jeep. Should be an interesting ride... :)

sump3-1.jpg

sump6.jpg

sump5.jpg

Scratches are bad, but no a biggy for being a sump.
sump3.jpg

sump2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.