• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marks...Back to the Future..Reef Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That should work out pretty well for a sump. And please post pictures of that thing on your jeep. I gotta see that....lol

Here is my home office. I just rearranged the layout to accommodate the tank. It's going to be tight but will work. Now if someone would only buy my piano, I can go into the living room with a bigger tank...still need to paint the wall and add a GFI receptacle.

office2.jpg

office.jpg

office3.jpg

office4.jpg

I joined the BRS group buy that starts tomorrow and thought it might be a good idea to get some smaller items. I was thinking heaters.

So I understand two smaller heaters are better that one larger one in case one malfunctions. I remember they had bi-metal connections that can stick. So do they make foolproof heaters? You would think with modern electronics new heaters wouldn't stick anymore. I used to use those green ones, but forgot their name...Jaeger?

So I ask, what heaters do you guys like thinking safety first for about 250 gallons total. And how many watts. House goes down to 65 during nighttime set back...

It would be best to use a controller, rather than rely on the internal thermostat. I use a pinpoint, but Ranco makes one, and if you're going to get an aquarium controller, i.e. Apex or Reefkeeper, you can control it from there.

It would be best to use a controller, rather than rely on the internal thermostat. I use a pinpoint, but Ranco makes one, and if you're going to get an aquarium controller, i.e. Apex or Reefkeeper, you can control it from there.

I figured I'd eventually get some type of controller, but wanted to wait till I was up and running and had a better idea what I really wanted. Do you subscribe to the two smaller heaters vs the larger? Any brands that are highly reliable? I have read about heater failures and can't believe with modern electronics it still happens.

Two heaters would afford you some redundancy, so it's not a bad idea. I've used both Eheim Jager, and Hydor theo's successfully over the years. If memory serves, the Hydor's were shorter at the same wattage.

So today was the nightmare sump pickup day. My son Zach and I drove to Delaware to pick up the sump I have been taking about. The 120g Acrylic tank. Had rope. blankets, everything we thought we needed. Arrived at the store...below:

sump8.jpg

After checking out the tank and loading it on the Jeep we tied it down and proceeded home. As we approached the Delaware Memorial bridge the tank started shifting and moving. The rope wasn't going to work. We pulled over...tank almost landed on the hood. I then attempted to re tie the tank with the goal to get back to the store. I'd have him hold the tank for better transportation. After semi securing the tank with tractor trailers whizzing by we limped back the six miles. The past 12 miles were hellish...

There I explained to the seller that the Jeep didn't work out. He was so kind to help us out and said he had straps that would do the job. We just needed to go to his house a few miles away. At this point my son Zach was a stressed out wreck...I wasn't much better. So we then took off to the seller house. But no, my Jeep was dead! Zach said its a sign Dad leave the tank...lol. The seller then jumped my Jeep and we went to his house for the tie down.

sump9.jpg

At this point we climbed into the windows of the Jeep like Nascar drivers, went back to the store, paid the very very nice seller for the straps and proceed the 85 miles home with wind blowing through the straps so loudly our ears bled. After a very long day we arrived home.

sump10.jpg

Here is is with big brother...

sump11.jpg

Lesson learned don't travel with a large fish tank on your roof...especially over big bridges and the up the NJ Turnpike. To everyone traveling north during tonights rush hour, I apologize...
I need a beer...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sounds like you need more than one, LOL.

Besides the actual size of the skimmers, there does not seem to be much difference. They both use the same pump and draw the same lph, so I guess you choose the one that fits in your sump the best?

Sounds like you need more than one, LOL.

Besides the actual size of the skimmers, there does not seem to be much difference. They both use the same pump and draw the same lph, so I guess you choose the one that fits in your sump the best?

Thanks, I guess the cheaper one works. Strange they have the same stats...

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like you had quite the trip. At least the tank and you guys made it back in one piece...lol. Can't wait to see things come together.

The things we do for this hobby!!! I thought I was crazy 2 weeks ago when I rented a uhaul and drove 2.5 hrs to Savannah, Ga for two 165g water storage tanks, an LM3 and pump.

Ok...stupid question. I'm doing the BRS group buy and stocking up on miscellaneous items. And I thought I'd buy some filter socks. What size should I get?

4x8, 4x14 or 7x16

And I plan on using two heaters, how many watts total for a 180 with 120 sump half filled? I saw a heating calulator and said at temp about 300w total. Sound right?

Last edited:
Ok...stupid question. I'm doing the BRS group buy and stocking up on miscellaneous items. And I thought I'd buy some filter socks. What size should I get?

4x8, 4x14 or 7x16

And I plan on using two heaters, how many watts total for a 180 with 120 sump half filled? I saw a heating calulator and said at temp about 300w total. Sound right?

I use two 4 x 14 socks, one for each overflow. The 7" is too big for my sump. The rule of thumb I've seen for heaters range between 3W to 5W per gallon, depending on the ambient temperature, where the tank will be located. Your particular system will determine how much you need, i.e. if your system resides wholly within the heated part of your house, you may not need as much, whereas if your system is split up between the house and a cold/cooler basement, as you plan, you may want to go with the whole 5W per gallon.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 to what downbeach said, also depends on what temp you want your tank to be. Our system is probably rougly 350 g. We have 3 300 watt heaters (one in the frag tank and two in the sump) which keep the tank around 75 which is where we want it.

I use two 4 x 14 socks, one for each overflow. The 7" is too big for my sump. The rule of thumb I've seen for heaters range between 3W to 5W per gallon, depending on the ambient temperature, where the tank will be located. Your particular system will determine how much you need, i.e. if your system resides wholly within the heated part of your house, you may not need as much, whereas if your system is split up between the house and a cold/cooler basement, as you plan, you may want to go with the whole 5W per gallon.

Thanks for the info...I'll get the 4x14 socks. In regard to the watts per gallon, are you going by tank size or tank size minus the displaced water by rocks etc.

Oh...meant to ask, felt or mesh...I heard the felt really polish the h20.

+1 to what downbeach said, also depends on what temp you want your tank to be. Our system is probably rougly 350 g. We have 3 300 watt heaters (one in the frag tank and two in the sump) which keep the tank around 75 which is where we want it.

So for my 180 plus half filled 120 sump (60g). 240 total x 4 equals 920. So 3 300 watts should do it. Sounds good. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.