• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Master Disaster 180gl on the Floor and 125 Rebuild!

Well!

OGII is giving me credit for my baby hippo but I don't think they were very happy about it. However, what they were telling me goes against everything others here and on reefcentral have experienced. Baby Tang's of any species have a very low survival rate. This time around with my tank I am taking every single precaution possible to eliminate deaths. I EXPECT deaths but that is the fact of the matter. I do not like to treat with copper and to eliminate having to run 2 tanks especially during this stocking phase and also to reuse the acrylic cube tank as a frag tank eventually I plumbed the main tank into the frag/qurantine/introduction tank. (People hear qurantine and immediately think omg chemicals hes gonna nuke his main tank!.) The Acrylic tube is 100% able to be cut off from the main tank. It's running a HOT magnum filter 24/7 with the Carbon cartridge in it but with ceramic stones instead. I have another filter that I can run carbon through. When I introduce new fish into the tank it is separated from the main tank and then left there for observation for a week.

I think qurantine in a spartan tank is stressful for fish. Qurantine in a fully established tank is a waste of rock and resources if u use bad chemicals. I employ a 2 week qurantine schedule. Less if the fish is exceptionally healthy.

Week 1
Dip in solution w/ Medicated water. Prazi/Clout tablets things of that nature. I Take the time to extend the fins and check for fluke etc. And Introduce into qurantine (50/50 Blue PC bulb). They are observed for the week and fed a lot of food. Upwards of 4/5 times a day or as often as they will eat. Uneaten food is removed. Everything is with Kent Garlic and Selcon. This fouls water fast and I usually qurantine 4 fish at a time. I change 1/2 the water every 3 days on the dot. The Ammonia in there is just starting to register when I do this. If they have anything usually they begin to show at this time. For Ick I immediately lower the SG to 1.09. I have this worked down to removing 6 Gallons and introducting fresh RODI. The SG is lowered over the course of the 3 Days in Mini Water Changes.

Week 2
They usually look real good if no ick etc. The first dip usually kills fluke etc so barring internal parasites the friday of week 2 i can put in main tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I believe Dr. Jim in the sponsors section has some blue hippos that he has already quarantined and treated.

Second fish to not make it through Qurantine. :(

Keyhole Angel from red sand. He looked a bit shaky even after acclimation. Wasn't eating much the other fish ate like pigs. I seperated him from the others into his own 10 gallon tank with a mature filter and some Live rock. Tried feeding him a bunch of different things and just would not eat. Tried garlic and everything. Finally today I saw he bit the dust. Perhaps he was not a healthy specimen. He was beautiful though :(. Water params were fine. Used Tank water from my main tank in the 10 gallon. Used some LR from my main tank sump in the 10 gallon too. Just had a K nano for circulation. and a HOB filter with some carbon in it.

4127429342_bff0dc2b49_b.jpg

Tank Update!

Sorry about the keyhole but the tank looks great if it is any consolation.
I always think it is a bit easier if they don't make it through the acclimation period at least you don't get super attatched to them.

It looks like you changed your rock work. I like it a lot better now. What bulbs are you using? Doesn't look like you need any actinics. It sure is nice.

Yes, I rebuilt the inner rock structure to make it more centered and to also make it channeled. In between each pillar is a high/low flow area that fish like to zip straight through as if being pushed behind by water. I plan on building another structure that looks as if its floating. dunno though I might just leave it as is. I am using Phoenix 14 Bulbs. I'm not looking to add the Actinics for use while the halides are on but for while they are off! Like early in the morning and for general viewing of the corals when the flourese. I don't know if to add T-5 or VHO Actinic.

Your tank looks phenomenal! It will be quite the showpiece when your corals begin to grow in.

Please update with photos often. ;D Just loving the look of it.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have to agree with Wendy. The way you designed your "shelving" will allow easy placement and display of your show pieces!

Wish I had some nice flat rock like that.

Awwww you guys... This is the best tank I have ever had. Growth has been amazing. Caps that I had as frags have started easily encrusting and becoming a part of the rock. I have also tried to plan my placement of SPS to give them room to grow. I hope one day I will be fragging like crazy to trade. I'm happy with how the rock turned out but I think I might be running out of space to place frags. JerseyWendy and how she grew her colonies from frags is my inspiration. I'm concentrating on getting some cool rare fish. I REALLY want a chevron tang and a sohal. Well maybe not the sohal. Then again a bunch of cool wrasses might be nice. Right now I'm tuning things in my sump. I use a sponge as a prefilter right after my refugium for mechanical but I might end up removing it or cleaning it more often.

Finally got the Needed Items for my Next Project. I call it a Floating Light Rack but what do I know. Its probably been done a million times.

I purchased 5 140mm Fans from Yate Loon. They are chinese and make great PC Fans for cheap. (2/3 Bucks Each)(Google)

I also Picked up This little do hickey:

11-998-808-S01

It will be Flush Mounted in the top of the Light Rack. It will Control all 5 of the fans in the canopy.

The canopy will be Max 5" Tall. The IceCap Pendants will just flush with the edges of the canopy. Inside of the Canopy I wll be mounting either 4 36" T-5's (Fiji Purple) - or 2 110w VHO's (True Actinic). I will also be mounting clusters of 1w Blue Cree LED's into the canopy. The 140mm Fans should eliminate 100% of the Heat generated in the canopy. The Fans are incredible quiet so Noise should not be a problem.

After weiging my options I want to pickup the APEX Controller. I want to eliminate some of the non-necessary controllers and monitors that I have in my tank. I currently have a Coralife Controller for ORP, and a Reef Keeper 2 for PH. I want to get a everything controller and put all my plugs on a controller instead of heavy Duty Power Strips. I don't trust Heavy Duty power strips but I'm afraid of controllers as well. Apex controllers go for around 500 bucks.I got. 0 Bucks. Time to start selling reef shiz!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That fan controller looks interesting. How will it control all 5 fans with only 4 dials? Do you plan on wiring two fans to one control?

Anyway, guess I'll be looking forward to your build plans for the canopy now. ;)

While taking some photos around the Thanksgiving season my Nikon D40 Camera Flash Suddenly Stopped working. I sent it in to Nikon to get repaired. It probably won't be back until after the holidays. I will try some shots using my Point and Shoot.

TanksNStuff: I am planning to wire the fans into an array. I will be using a small PC powersupply that will be able to run the Fan Controller and All of the LED's. The Fan Speeds are adjustable and I purposely choose a fan controller that had a higher output rails on each of the 4 rails. The fan's I plan to use do not use a lot of power at all.

Yes Cheveron Tang is on my list of most expensive fish to buy. He will definately be a splurge buy probably around tax season. I picked up a coralife Calcium reactor. Now I must purchase some Media, Regulator, and Co2 tank. I Will have new pics up soon. Probably the day after my water change.

Lots of Bad News and a Tiny bit of good news.

Well the tank had been going strong for quite some time. Good coloration and crystal clear water from vodka dosing and my reactor and ozone. It was Thursday last week that I came home at 6pm to find out that PSEG had disconnected my lights and power and that my tank had been in the dark with no power to anything since 1:00pm that day. Corals were fine all my snails were at the water line and fish seemed to be doing ok. Water was **** near frigid though. 65 degrees to be exact. I called PSEG and at 7:30pm they told me that they would try to have some one out there that night to turn on my lights as it had been a mistake. It turns out my Landlord Sold the Building and the new building owners had a standing agreement that every un-rented apartment should have the power disconnected to avoid paying bills for them. They never reported my apartment rented and PSEG shut me off without checking that I've been paying bills for 9 months. Well I immediately got my scraper fitted a plastic acrylic scraping bit into it and started swirling the water to create movement and hopefully drive oxygen into the water. I splashed around a good deal as well. I did this ever 30 minutes for about 10 minutes each time. At 3 am I went to bed unable to physically stay up any longer and feeling as if My pets would be dead when I woke up.

I woke up at 7am and PSEG was still not in sight. A few phone calls and heated arguments later they said they would have someone out to me between 9AM and Midnight that night. At 1pm THE NEXT DAY PSEG came out and cut be back on. IT gets worse now. See it was the day before my scheduled water change and tank maintenance and my skimmer cup was full at that time. When the power went on stagnant oxygen robbed water suddenly overflowed my skimmer cup dumping all of the skimmate back into the water and stinking up the entire room. I immediately took it off line grabbed my BRS reactor and drained the 55 gallons of reserve Fresh water added salt and stuck in 2 Koralia K4's to mix it. I loaded the BRS reactor up with carbon and tested the water 1 hour later. Nutrient levels were high off the charts, Ammonia was frigging toxic,and the tank was cloudy as well. 2 of my corals Immediately started to RTN and my beautiful bubble anemone shrivelled up leaving my tomato clowns homeless. The 55 gallons had barely been mixing and airing for 3 hours. I used a big bubbler and the salt was pretty mixed I think. I did a 55galloon water change on a 125 gallon tank and immediately started making more water. I stayed into the wee hours of the night checking and checking. My Fiance didn't even bother me because she knew how much meant to me. She was real supportive and made me coffee while I did maintenance. All in all I lost about 5 frags to straight up RTN.

Green Slimer (herbk)
Pink Milli (Gonzapa)
Blue Monti (Gonzapa)
Lemonade Mon (smcooler)
Small Tricolor (smcooler)

sorry guys :(

The GreenPocci seems to be fine and the fish don't seem to be worried. I still have tiny traces of various nutrients but I changed about 150 gallons in 55gallon increments all weekend. I used an entire bucket of salt. I was prepared to just jump on the forums and beg some of you to house the coral for me until the tank got back in shape. I don't thank that will be necessary but I had lots of brown out. I'll have pictures tonight.

The Good News:

My Fish survived, I found 3 UPC backups on Craigslist for cheap, and the Wrasse that I thought was dead had really just jumped into my overflow and was living in my Fuge.

THAT! Is one terriblr power story! :eek:

Hope it all works out!
When things stabilize, if you're willing to take the ride, I donate a frag or two to the restocking. Just PM me. Best of luck!