• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

left side:

P3250392.jpg

right side:

P3250393.jpg

P3250394.jpg

refugium build:

OOOOOOOH BLACK ACRYLIC IS SEXXXXY!!!!

P3250395.jpg

predrilled the fuge output (via stockman standpipe, not durso as the scribble above states)

P3250396.jpg

glued together:

P3250397.jpg

P3250398.jpg

This morning, before I left for work, I routed the edges and smoothed out anything that needed it. I really should wet-test, but I'm too excited to get it hooked up and running already..... I guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow! I added extra glue on the corners to be on the safe side, and I still have to put together the bubble box that will go in the sump. maybe even build a cover for it. Then drill a hole on the top side for an emergency overflow in case the stockman gets clogged up.

mnat said:
Sump looks really good Merv, glad I bought from a sump atrisan.

thanks mike, lol. artisan? maybe. still have more skills to obtain and that's done through practice!

JRWOHLER said:
Black acrylic or any non-transparent divider is a great thing to have looks super.

and it keeps the ugly dirty looking macro algae growing area out of sight (except the side windows)

bubble box installation:

P3260407.jpg

the mess pictured here is the for the installation of the "thumb screw catches"

more on that when I am able to finally locate some plastic thumb screws!

P3260408.jpg

teeeeth

a little uneven, but will do the job!

P3260409.jpg

I couldn't help myself so I peeled off all the remaining plastic protective film. I guess this means the sump is 99.98% done!

P3260410.jpg

here are 2 areas of the sump that the router did me dirty!

basically, after all said and done, I need a new bit!
The ball bearing quide got clogged up with some acrylic shavings and then decided to spin with the rest of the bit thereby creating these ugly blemishes on the side of the sump......... unfortunately also the side that will be seen (next to the pump)

I plan on covering it up with some kind of sticker or maybe a "concept3" logo?

hmmmmmmmm..... :D

P3260412.jpg

and here's the sump at 99.99% done.

I threw in the skimmer in there to see how much space I had left for future upgrades or for ease of maintenance.

P3260414.jpg

P3260415.jpg

P3260416.jpg

Now I just need to wet-test, make a stockman standpipe to go in the fuge bulkhead, maybe find a way to install a filter sock underneath, and then drill the hole for the external pump.

Okay, so it's really 99.01% done....

It's gonna have to wait till my next day off..... and that can't come soon enough. I'm working this weekend *sigh*

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
you know...if those blemishes bother you...just throw that sump out in my trash...no problems on my end, always willing to help a fellow member! ;D

Rod

that has to be one of the nicest sumps I've seen. How much experience do you have working with acrylic? I'd like to try my hand at building one, one day, but not sure I have the abilities.

Brando457 said:
that has to be one of the nicest sumps I've seen. How much experience do you have working with acrylic? I'd like to try my hand at building one, one day, but not sure I have the abilities.

thanks!

Prior to 4 weeks ago, no experience whatsoever.

Trial and error and an overactive brain and lack of custom sump builders that will fit my needs spurred that!

Some folks here recommended me some tools and gave some ideas that helped me along the way- I'm willing to pass that along too whenever you're ready!

rodclement said:
you know...if those blemishes bother you...just throw that sump out in my trash...no problems on my end, always willing to help a fellow member! ;D

Rod

my old one will be looking for a home soon.... what's your address again? LOL

with the bubble box built - is that the place where you'd also have a filter sock or are you forgoing filter socks? just wondering!

Hawkeye said:
with the bubble box built - is that the place where you'd also have a filter sock or are you forgoing filter socks? just wondering!

I'm foregoing the filter socks for now, I can always add it down the road in the area under the fuge overflow-

so here's the sump being water tested 2 days ago- I cleaned it out last night and worked on it all day today. I got pretty much almost all of the major components of the tank done including the light and electricals

P3280418.jpg

here's the hole for the emergency overflow (in case the refugium gets clogged up)

P3300419.jpg

bulkhead installed (3/4")

P3300420.jpg