• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Metal Halide vs. T5 lighting

williah said:
1. I don't plan on raising SPS. No offense to anyone, it's just not my thing. 2. My love is LPS's. I want to have beautiful frogspawns and hammers and torches, along with a mixture of goniaporas, ricordias and zooanthids and etc.

Glad I decided to wander by this thread, I have a new friend that likes the same corals I do! Welcome!

I haven't followed this thread because I use VHO's. I have experimented with T5's on my QT tank and I just don't think the colors are as good. My preferred mix is One UV Super Actinic to 2 UV 50/50 Actinic Whites. I currently have an AquaSun on my 180, but will be replacing that soon.

As far as LPS go under your current lighting, I would suggest you need to target feed. The suggestion about checking the magnesium is a good one as well.

Since James mentioned checking out my thread here are links to my current and former LPS display tank. WARNING my photography skills do not do the color justice!

My recent upgrade to a 180

My former 75 LPS tank

blange3, Holy Cow!

Forget picture quality, your LPS's are great! That's exactly where I'm heading. A great 150 with massive LPS's, et. al.

Good food for thought, your tank with VHO's. I could drown with the amount of info involved in making a good choice, but ce le vie. The 6-bulb T5 seems to be made for me, under my current circumstances, but I'm definately going to check out your lighting setup before I buy anything. Either way the PC are gone!

By the way, what fixture did you have (bulb #s, watts) on the 75 gal?

Thanks, my man. Love your tank.

Thanks williah.

I live in Woodbridge (07095)if you want to check it out in person.

The 75 has 5x110w VHO's on two IceCap ballasts. There are 3 50/50 actinic whites and 2 super actinics. This tank is now a somewhat neglected softie tank. When it starts looking pretty again it will get a new Tale of the Tank thread.

Wow Bill,
Your tanks are beautiful, Forget about picture quality like williah said. If they were any clearer I'd need a mask and snorkel, just so I wouldn't drown.

Thanks for the invite, Blange3. Tried to pm you but it doesn't work for me. I'd definitely like to come by and see your tank. Let me know when it's convenient.

o.k., so I am going with the NE Pro, with 6 bulbs. I can't handle the extra wattage on the circuit for VHO's. That will be for the future upgrade (house and tank).

I'm getting it on Thursday. Can't wait.

Now I just have to read up on phasing it in. I have a favia, Ausie Acan Lord and a Blastomussa at the top I'm concerned about. Any warnings?