• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Metal Halide vs. T5 lighting

I think I am deffinately going with halides but now its just a matter of going between 150watt and 250.... heat is the big issue, but at the same time I want to do the tank right

The depth of the tank matters. If it's over 20 inches then you won't be able to hit the bottom of the tank hard with light. With 250s your tank can be 30" deep and still put SPS on the bottom.

I'm a newbie, only had my tank running for nearly a year now, and I'm using T5s, however, I'm using the TekLighting Fixture. LOVE it, and if/when I upgrade, I'll go with T5s again - for sure.

Here's my current setup:
WTS4-1-081.jpg

---
Wendy

I had T5s on my setup and switched to MH. Guess what....... I miss my T5s. For some reason it seems like my tank was brighter with the T5s. The shimmering effects doesn't do anything for me. My 15 gallon drum for top off, was lasting me about 3-4 weeks with the T5s now I'm going through it in 1 1/2 week. That's only with the 2x150w 4xT5s Outer Orbit fixture. I will be getting my 180 soon and that has 3x250w MH fixture with T5s. I can't imagine how much top off water I am going to go through. I am looking into T5'S for my 180. Maybe the Aquactinics Constellation. You also have to be aware that some T5 fixtures (normally the ones that have Icecap ballasts) over drive there T5's. A 54w T5 bulb can be overdriven to 80w. So you would be able to go a little deeper than 24" on a tank.

ricwilli said:
You also have to be aware that some T5 fixtures (normally the ones that have Icecap ballasts) over drive there T5's. A 54w T5 bulb can be overdriven to 80w. So you would be able to go a little deeper than 24" on a tank.
And if heats an issue be aware of added heat from the overdriven bulbs

PrettyBoy said:
I think I am deffinately going with halides but now its just a matter of going between 150watt and 250.... heat is the big issue, but at the same time I want to do the tank right

I guess you went with 3x250 eh? That was a nice pick up- if I had a 72" tank - would have definitely jumped on it. Good luck with them.

yeah I went with the 3x150 and t5s... i figured it was a great price and with all the other stuff I needed like rock, pumps etc... it would be good to save the 5-600 bux... i know im going to end up changing them down the road when I get more knowledgeable about reefs but what are you gonna do....

I am totally digging this thread. It's quite cheerful, friendly and non-combative. It's amazing how difficult and confusing so many of the threads on this subject are.

Thanks to all.

That being said, I do ask for some help myself. I currently have a 72 gal tank, 48" long by 13" back, 24" high.

1. I don't plan on raising SPS. No offense to anyone, it's just not my thing. 2. My love is LPS's. I want to have beautiful frogspawns and hammers and torches, along with a mixture of goniaporas, ricordias and zooanthids and etc.

My current light is a Coralife 48" Power Compact Florescent. It's 2-24" 10k 65w and 2-24" actinic (65W). I feel I'm having issues related to lighting. Most of my LPS in the center to the bottom of the tank seem small and weak. I don't have much growth. My zoanthids have been to spread (they're 1/2 way down), but very slowly.
Does anyone have experience and ideas with the LPS and PC lights? Should they be doing better for a 23" height (1" sand) with PC's?

Now I've decided to bump up to T5's. I've read the argument for MH but I feel my tank is shallow and since I'm not raising sps, I don't need the xtra lighting for LPS and others. Assuming I'm right, it's hard for me to judge whether to go for the 4 bulb, 6 bulb or 8 bulb. Money is a concern, but I plan to do it right this time and buy what's needed.

I should note, I have Blumastasias, Ricordia, colony polyps on the very top of the rocks (about 5 inches down from water surface) which are doing great and beginning to spread (knock on wood). I don't want to fry these corals or have to move them. I want them do be at least as happy as they are now, but also light the bottom of the tank. I want to get some clams and have them on the bed, but not saturate the top ones.

So, here's a handful. Any helpful advise?

Well first welcome aboard great to see a newcomer with a super first post.

I am a T5 person, I would say for your tank 6x54W would be good. Given normal shape tank right?

I will point out we have a couple guys who use VHO bulbs for LPS ...check out blange's tank thread you may have more questions after that. I can tell you his tank with VHO bulbs has unreal colors.

Jerseywendy's tank is the poster tank for T5 lights ... she has just about everything and I would highly suggest you use her light bulb choices. A lot of people use them, though few with her success.

I personally have been really happy with my T5s, I had a nano with power compacts and the difference is very substantial. Heat and replacement time are first on my list. Also you tend to get a lot of bad algae when PC lights get old.

MH are going to burn a lot of energy and you may not need that kind of light. If you have a hood where you could do some sort of retro VHO I would seriously consider it.

T5 do have better PAR then VHO and PC lights .... so should help with your lower stuff. I have most of my LPS on the sandbed along with a clam and they are doing well. Be careful with your early light cycle when switching so you don't burn stuff out. Also extra surface flow should help.
James

john90009

NJRC Member
Id go with a 6 bulb 54 watt t5 setup to, it will make your lps pop with color, and it will be enough light you if you ever change your mind and want to buy a clam or a sps coral, than you wont have to worry about upgrading like i had to do, i went with t-5s and will probably never go back, to halides.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
On our 20g we have T5 lights, we never intended on doing sps in that tank so we went with those. We currently have zoas, mushrooms, and LPS in there and they are all doing fine. We really noticed a bump in growth when we added the T5 bulbs and have been very happy with them.

Well I decided to finally take the plunge and swap from MH to T5 and went with the new fauna Marin Starfire 10 bulb set up. It will be completely dimmable w/ my Profilux controller (which is why I went with it) Can not wait for it

http://shop.faunamarin.de/product_i...T5-dimable.html

It also has a cool MH Shimmer effect that they use LEDS to get it. For over a decade I have had MH's and for the last 2 years debating on if I should change over. Im keeping my ballasts as there all new. Im very nervous about it but after what has happened to my tank from the stupid salt I was using i might as well overhaul a few things

+1 for T5's.

I was using PC bulbs and I decided to switch so I can go 12-18 months between bulb changes. Money was the main reason for the switch, but everything I heard sorta pointed to a personal battle (MH vs T5's).

Here's some numbers that I came across when I was researching.

TCO = Total Cost of Ownership

TCO for the first year:

Coralife PC = $304 to run (purchasing new bulbs 2x a year + est. energy... Lets take it for granted that the user already has a PC fixture and is deciding on upgrading..)
Nova T5 = $464 to run (New fixture purchase + est. energy)
Tek T5 = $491 to run (New fixture purchase + 4 - Giesemann bulbs + est. energy)

TCO for the 2nd year: (1st year costs + 2nd year costs)

Coralife PC = $608 (includes electric and 8 bulbs (replaced every 6 months).. again.. PC Fixture is paid for... + $169 (bulbs) + $135 ... 2nd year + $169 + $135 = $608
Nova T5 = $748 ( includes electric, 6 bulbs @ $20 (unit comes w/ a set of bulbs + 1 set of replacements), and the fixture) - $300 + $164 ... 2nd year ... + $120 + $164 .. = $748
Tek T5 = $693 (includes electric, 8 bulbs @ $23 (replaced 1x a year), and the fixture) - $289 + $92 + $110 ... 2nd year ... + $92 + $110 ... = $693

More details here: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/glass-tops-on-or-off-116476-4.html

Thanks for the responses! Exactly the kind of help I was looking for.
I'm going for the 6-T5's. Gotta research which one, but it seems like a close call tween Nova and Tek.
I figure it's always possible (and eventually likely) I would want a couple of sps's down the line, and it sounds like the 6-T's won't overkill the current, yet allow few upgrades later. Of course I'd only put them at the top to ensure healthy lighting.

I'll prob do a picture posting (before and after) once I have some comparison photos. I'm going to check out the recommended photos. Let me know of any others I should see! One of the things I like about coral forums is seeing other people's tanks.

Thanks again.

adesimone1, I haven't really check Magnesium but I do weekly water changes (10%) and expect this to replenish most of the extra elements. Will definitely consider doing it though. The test kits are worth it in my opinion.

Couple of us have bought the Catalina Aquarium T5 lights and are happy with them. Though I would suggest replacing the bulbs as you go, I found some of the other bulbs have better colors.