• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Move the sump or not?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well that project just came to a stall. Had my contract at the house yesterday and told him what the plans were and after a little investigating in his part found the remote sump is a no go I would have to drill two holes through the header. He said sure go and do it but the inspectors aren't going to be happy about it.

Just so we are talking off the same sheet of music.....a header is the support above a door or window.....typically two 2 x 6's (could be 2 x 8's or even 2 x 10's) and a piece of 1/2 inch ply. Might I assume you have no room above the header and top plate? Or why not go to the right or left of the header, and avoid the door/window all together.

Where there is a drill there is a way.

sorry for the pun, but you can alway go straight down and build a soffit. While not the most attractive, it shouldn't be that large and if you paint it the same color of the wall's and ceiling it should blending over time.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's the bottom line.....ask your inspector. Since drilling headers is not in the code (wasn't when I read it), it's at the whim of the inspector. I would guess that most inspectors would go with joist code as far as notching and drilling....but again, that is up to how that individual inspector thinks and what he had for breakfast that morning.

Worst case, drill away and put a steal plate over the entire thing....that's allowed with joists.

And I like the pun....very good.

This is the main beam of the house. I hear you on the inspection part but we have a handful of other work requiring inspections. I'm thinking my alternative is going to be a new tank build down the road and put the tank in a new location because this is becoming wayyyy to involved for a simple sump relocation

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Main beam....although there are situations were it could be drilled.....small holes....especially if it's LVL (laminated), I'd stick to running under the beam and simply boxing it in. I'm assuming you are going with a finished basement. You won't even notice the box in. I did it with the entire loop of pipe for my heating system.

Main beam....although there are situations were it could be drilled.....small holes....especially if it's LVL (laminated), I'd stick to running under the beam and simply boxing it in. I'm assuming you are going with a finished basement. You won't even notice the box in. I did it with the entire loop of pipe for my heating system.
If you cannot go through go around...that sounds like a good plan.