• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Moving tank

I finally finished getting set up in my new apartment and now it's time to start moving my tank. Whats the best way to go about it without losing everything? Only about a 10 minute drive

DYIguy

NJRC Member
What size tank? Apartment, ground floor? As far as fish/ rock/ corals- buckets with lids are best- hope you saved some from the salt you/we buy- or you can buy them from Lowes/ Home Depot, that way you can save much of your water- dump the sand/substrate- buy new

What size tank? Apartment, ground floor? As far as fish/ rock/ corals- buckets with lids are best- hope you saved some from the salt you/we buy- or you can buy them from Lowes/ Home Depot, that way you can save much of your water- dump the sand/substrate- buy new
40b w 20 sump. 2nd floor

DYIguy

NJRC Member
40b w 20 sump. 2nd floor
Shouldn't be a problem- I'm old but can handle a 40B ok- but help is always better- I'd make some saltwater beforehand too- better to have too much than not enough- do you have an extra heater to heat the water you make

DYIguy

NJRC Member
For a 40, if you want to move water along with fish/rock/coral I'd get 5 or 6 5 gallon buckets with lids- you'll still have to make at least 10 gallons of new water- you could also buy a Brute can and make most of the water- a pump and heater for sure. Like I said before I'd get new sand. I recommend live sand- maybe you'll have better luck with a local Petco- mine doesn't keep any in stock and amazon is just as bad- ordered mine from chewy

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I learned my lesson. It’s better to sell all the corals and start over in the new place.
Corals don’t like to be moved. Your new tank won’t be stable and you will have corals that die. It’s better to sell everything and start all over at the new home.
Keep your fish. You will never get your rocks with corals to look the same.

Salted

NJRC Member
I have a 40b and some buckets I could lend you. Move your stuff into it with a heater and power head to hold everything while you move and set up your tank, stand and sump and get it plumbed.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I moved a 150 a little over an hour away in January a few years ago.
Here’s what I did. Have plenty of new salt water mixed and up to temp. If you do decide to bring your old water get 5 gallon buckets and aerate it. Used salt water goes rancid pretty quick if it doesn’t have movement. Buckets will work to move the livestock, so will lfs fish bags if you’re not moving things far. The fish travel all over the world in them. I used them and stacked them in a cooler. I rented an enterprise van because none of my vehicles will carry that much weight. Start early. Have hose clamps bulk heads and anything else that may spring a leak on hand. Good luck if you plan out every step you’ll be fine.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have moved a bunch of tanks this size (unfortunately) and it can be done without a ton of losses. If you can mix up a bunch of water and have it ready at your new apartment, like almost your total water volume. Use a completely new sand bed (if you use sand), you don't want to use the old sand bed. Transfer the rocks and fish in 5 gallon drums with just enough water to keep them submerged. Move everything into the new tank, get an instant cycle prouduct like Dr. Tims or something along those lines and add it when you put everything in. Test regularly in the beginning and have some water made in case things go awry, with ~60g of water you should be able to

We have moved a bunch of tanks this size (unfortunately) and it can be done without a ton of losses. If you can mix up a bunch of water and have it ready at your new apartment, like almost your total water volume. Use a completely new sand bed (if you use sand), you don't want to use the old sand bed. Transfer the rocks and fish in 5 gallon drums with just enough water to keep them submerged. Move everything into the new tank, get an instant cycle prouduct like Dr. Tims or something along those lines and add it when you put everything in. Test regularly in the beginning and have some water made in case things go awry, with ~60g of water you should be able to
That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Gonna start mixing water tonight and try to move everything over tomorrow after work.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow I would take a 1 hour move. I dread when we sell NJ and everything gets moved to FL. Can't even figure how to move the SPS there without kill it.

So I've run into a problem. I hooked up my RODI unit, to find out i get only about 40 psi. I'm now in a rush to try to find a store with a booster pump in stock bc i need to finish moving my tank this weekend.

It's never easy is it?

Jamie S

NJRC Member
So I've run into a problem. I hooked up my RODI unit, to find out i get only about 40 psi. I'm now in a rush to try to find a store with a booster pump in stock bc i need to finish moving my tank this weekend.

It's never easy is it?
Let me know if you need some water. I have RODI water made and can make a batch of salt water (NeoMarine salt) if you need.

It's never easy is it?
Brian over at Reefco had a booster pump on the shelf last time I was thru the shop.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah reefco has them but call first to make sure.
he has a rodi section with everything from BRS

It's never easy is it?
I run at less than that. I can make about 20 gallons a day

Idk if anyone is interested but i finally moved the tank on Sunday. Took me all day doing it by myself. (lots of pain the day after lol).

I just finished setting it up completely since then. (works got me super busy). But the last piece i put on was the light (to minimize stress on fish). Everything opened pretty much immediately. My Clam survived which i thought i would definitely lose.
No fish death. And everyone seems pretty ok. (some a little roughed up and missing scales from scraping on rocks I'm guessing but they'll be fine).

I did lose some coral tho. Really sad about that. My favorite pieces too.
Garf Bonsai
PC Rainbow
Forest fire Digi
Red Planet
Tyree Pink Lemonade
And a mini colony of Blueberry Yum

(If anyone has any frags of these, shoot me some pics if you want to sell or trade)

2 of my 7 trachys aren't looking hot but they usually bounce back pretty fast.

All in all, i guess it could have been worse

john90009

NJRC Member
my rodi u it is so old the pressure gauge doesn’t work. I am not handy at all so I never replaced it. I wonder what my pressure really is and how much I’m wasting.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I run at less than that. I can make about 20 gallons a day
I find that during cold weather my RODI makes less water and assume its temp and pressure related. I will be picking up a booster pump at some point. For now I just buy it from a LFS until warmer weather comes back.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Idk if anyone is interested but i finally moved the tank on Sunday. Took me all day doing it by myself. (lots of pain the day after lol).

I just finished setting it up completely since then. (works got me super busy). But the last piece i put on was the light (to minimize stress on fish). Everything opened pretty much immediately. My Clam survived which i thought i would definitely lose.
No fish death. And everyone seems pretty ok. (some a little roughed up and missing scales from scraping on rocks I'm guessing but they'll be fine).

I did lose some coral tho. Really sad about that. My favorite pieces too.
Garf Bonsai
PC Rainbow
Forest fire Digi
Red Planet
Tyree Pink Lemonade
And a mini colony of Blueberry Yum

(If anyone has any frags of these, shoot me some pics if you want to sell or trade)

2 of my 7 trachys aren't looking hot but they usually bounce back pretty fast.

All in all, i guess it could have been worse

meow that sucks that you lost some corals.
I know from my Expirience corals do not liked to be moved.
hopefully some of your corals will bounce back