• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 28Gal JBJ HQI

Just getting this thread started
I ordered a JBJ 28 Gal HQI Nano Tank Last Wed from Nanocustoms
This is the setup I purchased
http://www.nanocustoms.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1&products_id=168
This setup came with a stand and free shipping
It has a 150 watt Hqi Two 16 watt PC and LED night lights
The Stand and Ballast arrived today and once I put it together I will take a picture
The Tank is scheduled to arrive tomorrow
I am looking forward to setting this up

Jason

Welcome aboard! Nice to see someone else getting into the nano area! Looking forward to see your progress. Only advice I will give right now is TAKE YOUR TIME, consider all the modifications before you even put water in it. Remove all sponges, bio balls from the back chambers execept for the one that reduces the bubbles from the skimmer. But make sure you clean that sponge every week and in the beginning maybe every few days. You don't want nitrate buildup. Get all your test kits, some buckets for water change ( I suggest the ones from HOME DEPOT that have the gallon marks on the side WHITE )so you know what you take out and what your putting it.. Start off with a good salt. I suggest Seachem Reef Salt ( has great parameters ) Be Patient!

As you progress I am sure I will have plenty to say.. :D Be well and Welcome to NJRC!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Psst... check the post count

Congrats on getting a tank setup, Jason. Glad to see you getting back into it. I see that 180 in your future already!

woops.. ok, long time hobbiest.. sorry to sound redundant then.. lol Still damn glad to see you in the nano forum!

Last night My wife and I put the stand together
Today the tank showed up and I am still waiting for the sand and two powerheads to show up
I am in the process of making water
So tomarrow I should have water sand and rock in it

Jason

Jason what are you going to put in it ?, you know you can stop over here and pick some frags ;D , just make sure you bring at least 20 bags J/K , anyway is great seen your coming back into the hobby again , just lmk when your ready .

Today I washed and put the sand in,Then I went downstairs and got some rock from the sump.
I really do not know if I like the big piece on the top, Most of the rock I have are larger pieces so I might have to take a hammer to a piece or two ;D

Nice! cant wait for mine.... it should be here the 19th. Now that you had it running is the ballast loud?

I havent decided if I'm going to use sand yet, might do cutting boards again.
The stand looks nice. I have 30G of RO water ready in the basement along with salt and dryrock.

Did not hear much sound from the ballast
I still have two Koralias #1s to put in
I seeded the sand with some from my other tanks
Most of the rock came from there also

Jason

I have been looking into getting one of these tanks from nanotuners...how is it keeping temperature? I have heard that most people run them with chillers, do you think its necessary?

Looks like a great start!

Yes please let us know about the temp. It would be fantastic if they stay in range without needing a chiller.

I have been thinking about one of these since I first read about them.

Best of luck with it!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks good, Jason! I like the way the rockwork is laid out as well. Very nice.

Thanks everyone
I really think its is going to need a chiller
At the present time I am not running the lights so I do not know what the temps will be

Jason