• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My experience with nyaquatics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one day I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to drive up to nyaquatics with him to pick up some fish. We drove to New Rochelle, picked out all of the fish. We had 3 people orders, over $1000 total. By the time I got home and dripped the new fish, some were looking bad already. Another one of the guys who got fish said 6 were dead by the time he got home. We didnt say anything and didnt call him about it. The next time we mail ordered instead of picking the fish up. We ordered another $700 or so in fish, they were packed with 48 hour heat packs, and 24 hours later when we opened the box ALL the fish were dead, and the water inside the bags was 58.4. We called him back and he hemmed and hawed and decided to give us $200 in credit. So I drove back up and did another order for myself and another member, $400 this time. The 2 blotchy's I bought are both dead now, as is the bangaii cardinal I bought. If you watch him unwrap the bags they throw the fish into buckets from waist high, I was there as they were unpacking. He sells fish that havent acclimated to his tank yet, right out of the bucket, half dead, and he was bagging them up for other people. I am not going to buy anything from him again, cheaper is definitely not better. Be careful and think twice about putting an order in with him.

I thought at first I was the reason the fish died, but then after talking ot other friends that had problems I realize it was his practice. The fish are dumped out of the bags they come shipped in, dropped into the bucket in a cold garage. Then they start getting drip acclimated, but if the ones being dripped are ordered already they are bagged up without regards to the stress on the fish.

strange... i spoke to him on the phone a few times and exchanged a few emails and the guy seemed to care not only about what i wanted to buy but also about the fish and their well being in my tank. i really had a nice conversations with him not longer than 3 weeks ago.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Bought a fish for $200 a month ago there, picked it up at his facility or should I say garage. It was dead within 4 days. If I had not paid for the fish already online i would have never have taken it, after seeing the conditions that they are kept in.

I completely agree with jsantoli about the way the fish are treated there as i witnessed it also firsthand. Would not buy from him again.

Wow I'm really shocked at these posts, I don't doubt your experiences as I've never met Michael in person or gone to see him however I've placed 8 orders with him since July '07 online (just for myself, small orders) only DIA I ever had was a pistol shrimp and a seahare I received an instant credit for the seahare and a replacement pistol with my next order. Only a couple fish in my tanks are from other sources. All fish arrived in excellent shape, healthy, no disease, not even a torn fin and the only loss I've had is a clown goby but I've had trouble with those from other sources as well. Makes me really upset to hear your stories since he's always been super helpful to me on the phone and email and I've been very impressed with his prices and quality of live stock, I hate to think the fish are being treated as poorly as you say... my packing has always been wonderful too.

I do have to say... I'm really confused/surprised you would place another large order if you had issues the first time, and why on earth would you go back a third time? I know several people here who've ordered from him and from all accounts have been really happy.

The second time we mail ordered, the 3rd trip was because all of the mail order was dead and we were given a credit

Sorry to report that my recent order, about two weeks ago - simple Yellow Tang and a Tiger Jawfish ... are both dead now (well, 1 MIA, 1 dead dead). Tang sorta got a big belly, turned brown, no go. This was in my QT, thankfully. The Jawfish seemed ok, and I was anxious to get him in my old nano tank. He was fine for 3 days - now he's gone. Not in filter, not on floor (that I can find), and the small clown couldn't have eaten him. A mystery.

But, thinking no more with NYAquatics.com. Sorry.

I appreciate everyone's posts, I was planning to place an order as soon as a fish I've been waiting for came in stock again but now I think I'll look elsewhere, sounds like maybe there has been some sort of change since my last order... or I had a very lucky streak.

I was considering ordering from this guy but not after these horror stories. Has anyone here ordered from Saltwaterfish.com?

i will not go nyaquatic and he gets some good stuff in i want a golden angel he gets them cheap but i might pass,saltwaterfish.com is the only place i bought from offline,the only thing i can say i got powder blue tangs from him and dead two weeks later, but corals still alive about a year now. the powder blues may be my fault the one fish i want i have no luck with. the website is good but they don't get differnt stuff in,i wouild recommend it.hope it helps u

Hate to say it but we also bought from Nyaquatics and it was a mistake as well. We ordered a yellow belly regal Angel last year. When I got him the bag he had him in broke open and there was more water in the box then in the bag. Also the temp of the water was also around 56 degrees. I got him in a bucket with enough water to drip acclimate him by then he was barely alive. He did send us a new fish a couple days later but the temp of the water was still very cold and he only lasted maybe 3 days. Well we cut our losses and we will never buy from him again. It's a shame for the fish.

pistolpete said:
I was considering ordering from this guy but not after these horror stories. Has anyone here ordered from Saltwaterfish.com?

Several times they are top notch. A few times I recieved orders during really bad snow storms and airline\package delays. Everytnhing always makes it and lives forever. They even claim they check the weather to your area before packing so they know how much heat or cold to add.

liveaquaria is good but their shipping prices is pretty high. SW guarantees live arrival and will refund if DOA. 15 day alive guarantee will get you credit. I had positive review of them if you search. Another member did not have a good time but it sounded more like fedex fault.

Re: My experience with nyaquatics.com a ++++++++experience

Very strange, just posted about my regal and copperband that arrived a week ago yesterday, please read the post, the majority of fish in my large multiple tanks are form Michael, large, healthy and pigs, please read my new post, and will post photos later today or tomorrow, of my new arrivals, always quality fish, and well acclimated before shipping to me, sometimes even a week or two, at my request, if longer, very accommodating. Has never shipped any fish out to me, until well acclimated there, and eating well. Including a very large flagfin angel, thriving and very large now, 7"+, multiple tangs, angels(including a piggish potters), tilefish, wrasses, and on and on. And if I get a chance, will take some shots of my aggressive and peaceful tanks, very impressive the fish from Michael. And heard very bad things about saltwater.com, and have gotten wrong or damaged fish from liveaquaria.

i ordered a yellow belly regal and 3 lyre tail Anthia's. When i got the package i opened it up and the water was freezing the fish were not looking good and got them in the bucket dripped them slow. Needless to say the regal didn't even make it out of the bucket and the 3 lyre tails survived but all three died within 2 weeks. i emailed him as soon as i got the fish and told him the regal didn't look like it was going to make it. He told me he couldn't do anything because it arrived alive but he said to take some pictures and send them to him. I sent them he then told me to let me know what i wanted instead of the regal but couldn't give me a refund. I sent him like 3 emails letting him know what i wanted and he never responded. I would defiantly not recommend him nor will i EVER buy fish from him again!

2 fish received a week from yesterday from Michael Stern at nyaquatics, photos:
Tough to shoot, very fast when shooting, both pigs with spirulina and mysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.