• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My First Ever Build

Hey guys here is my fist ever attempt at setting up a sump, coast to coast overflow and other DIY things ;D :eek:
I've only been in the hobby for under 2 years and have learned a lot from you guys and others.

First I would like to say THANKS!!! to Shipwreck for his help, he sold me that tank and gave me great advise!! Thanks bud!! ;D :D

Here is the 45 gal. tank, It only has one hole drilled on the top left corner and I wanted to keep it like that without drilling more (I might have to in the future)
So ....... I went to lowes and got a piece of glass and cut it to make the over flow. (1st time cutting glass too!!)
One of the pieces is installed after cutting and more cutting and cutting myself and screaming ETC ;)
the other will come today.
It looks a bit messy (a lot) and it's rough around the edges (a lot) but those are things I think I can fix, and figure all my "sins" would be covered by coraline anyway. (I hope)
So please don't laugh and make me cry :( ???
Here are some pics, let me know what you think.
Thanks guys for the great advise and again, thanks SHIPWRECK for your help!! ;D
Tank Before
[]
Tank with first piece of overflow installed
]
And here is my attempt at a DIY Bulkhead and Down pipe, after seeing all the plumbing pieces available at lowes (hope it works!!) ???
It came out to under $2

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pretty neat idea…it looks like you’re using a NPT coupling to a NPT Tee to act as your bulkhead. Realize you are dealing with two seals. The seal of the “bulkhead” against the glass…using that rubber washer…and also the seal of the threads within the tee. I would wrap that coupling with a good seven to eight wraps with Teflon tape to assure a better chance of a good seal. On second thought, I'm a little concerned with the amount of thread grab you'll have after going through a rubber washer and the thickness of the glass. Let use know how it works out.

I might just silicone the whole thing in place just to be safe that way I can still take it out.
I'm also going to look for other parts and might come up with a different idea ;D
Here is one that works I just can't find the parts.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_bulkheads.php

The parts are so simple!!! But they are sold out here!! will try mine if it doesn't work.... will go this route.

I've used that kind of poor man's bulkhead fitting before myself, but never where I didn't silicone the thing in place. You might as well glue it in. It's not like you need to be able to take it on/off once it's together. If you ever do, it's not that hard to cut the silicone loose.

chaoscat said:
I've used that kind of poor man's bulkhead fitting before myself, but never where I didn't silicone the thing in place. You might as well glue it in. It's not like you need to be able to take it on/off once it's together. If you ever do, it's not that hard to cut the silicone loose.

The one in the link doesn't need silicone. It's just that I can't seem to find the parts.
Anyway a little silicone never hurt anyone ;D

There's more to come on this "Budget" build, let's see what trouble I can get myself into. ;)

Well ... I REALLY needed a pump so I got this regular fountain pump from Ebay.
It's a "Diamond" pump about 900GPH
I hope it works, I just couldn't pass up the price and at the time there was not much on Ebay that I could afford.
Remember... It's a "BUDGET BUILD" ;D
If it doesn't work I will Have to upgrade it but you never know. ;)
Has anybody used one of these pumps? (pic Below) ???

Thanks again guys for your advise in this adventure. ;D

Very nice job!!! Looks great for first or 50th build.

Just as a suggestion (though I don't think it is super cheap) There is a rotating return valve that attatches to the tank. It was suggested to me but didn't work on my tank. Here is the quote.

lot of folks have Sea Swirls that may want to chime in. More expensive than SCWD's but I believe they are much more efficient.

Could be great for you though with your build check it out.

JRWOHLER said:
Very nice job!!! Looks great for first or 50th build.

Just as a suggestion (though I don't think it is super cheap) There is a rotating return valve that attatches to the tank. It was suggested to me but didn't work on my tank. Here is the quote.

lot of folks have Sea Swirls that may want to chime in. More expensive than SCWD's but I believe they are much more efficient.

Could be great for you though with your build check it out.

Yeah those sound great!! However .... Not a budget friendly devise ;D
Here is a link http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~wavemakers_sea_swirl.html
I'm probably going to go with just a Loc-line return. What does SCWD mean??
Thanks

OK got the Overflow completed.... For now. ;D
Next for the leak test!! :eek:

Yeah, but it is not such an important piece and I can add it later.
I have to find out how the club buys work ???

Im now thinking of returns at both sides of the tank. See how this projects keep growing? ;D
It's just a bit more time and pipe I figure.

If I do, should I make the current of one come from the front corner of the tank to the back?
we'll see, I should start the plumbing first ;) ;D

I cannot tell is there space for the water to "flow" over the lip of the overflow or are you doing it some other way?

JRWOHLER said:
I cannot tell is there space for the water to "flow" over the lip of the overflow or are you doing it some other way?

No, There is enough room at the top it's a bit bellow the black trim.

The build is coming along well,I was curious too,is there a space to the left or right of the overflow to accomadate the return to come up,over and down into the water,maybe adding an elbow/s?Or will it literally come up and over the overflow?

shipwrecked said:
The build is coming along well,I was curious too,is there a space to the left or right of the overflow to accomadate the return to come up,over and down into the water,maybe adding an elbow/s?Or will it literally come up and over the overflow?

The return will be PVC up and over the edge, it will be hidden by the canopy. I'm trying to not drill the tank. but may have to for second down pipe, in case one clogs. or may do the second one over the edge too.
thanks

Leak test passed!! The good thing is that if I get a leak later it won't really make a difference. as long as it's not in the bulkhead!! ;D

The Pump

I just got the pump today!!! I took it apart and it has NO metal exposed
It's all ceramic and plastic!! Guess is good for salt water
;D I paid $12 for it. :eek:

It turned out to be made by United Pumps inc.
I looked them up and they seem to sell really high end stuff any of you guys know them?
They specialize in industrial and fountain pumps.
it's 978GPH with adjustable flow.
It runs great and shoots water 8' high !!! (it was just a test)
also did a water test on the whole tank and all seems well

Will let you guys know more later.
Thanks again for all the advise. and YES it is still a low budget project, lets see how long that lasts ;D ;D ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You really should have "teeth" in your overflow. The reason they do that is so that the snails don't climb over the edge. It also prevents other unwanteds (like fish) from flowing over the top. With our topdown box in our bedroom we've had fish and starfish, etc go over the wall and get stuck in the drain pipe (not an ideal way to go). If a snail goes AWOL he's going to stop the drain and you're going to have a disaster on your hands.

Phyl said:
You really should have "teeth" in your overflow. The reason they do that is so that the snails don't climb over the edge. It also prevents other unwanteds (like fish) from flowing over the top. With our topdown box in our bedroom we've had fish and starfish, etc go over the wall and get stuck in the drain pipe (not an ideal way to go). If a snail goes AWOL he's going to stop the drain and you're going to have a disaster on your hands.

Can't cut teeth into glass.
Besides the drain IN the overflow will be blocked with a strainer or something like it.
I've even seen people use the Coast-to-Coast as a holding area. (I'm not that daring) LOL
Snails can climb with teeth or without can't they? ;)
I though the reason for the teeth was so that the water went down evenly if the tank was not level. ???
why not put screen over your overflow if you are having probs with the fish? I've seen that too.
Is your a Coast to coast (calfo)
Thanks