• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My First Ever Build

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They won't climb over if there are teeth, IME (there are no snails in my RR overflow boxes). I wouldn't trust screen over the hole to protect my fish, but that's just me. I'd install a plexi grate, if nothing else. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it.

Phyl said:
They won't climb over if there are teeth, IME (there are no snails in my RR overflow boxes). I wouldn't trust screen over the hole to protect my fish, but that's just me. I'd install a plexi grate, if nothing else. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it.

By the way.... What keeps them from climbing the teeth??
Just curious.

Thanks for your advise :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess there's only so far up they're willing to go out of water. The teeth typically extend 1/4" or so above the water line. A stupid fish will get sucked over the wall with ease without teeth. Saw it happen to my lion fish-- and that's a FAT fish! A skittih fish will be making their home in there (jumpers). I guess you could put basket over the top of the overflow to try to keep critters out.

The pump!!

Hey guys ;D
Here are some pics of the $11 Pump. after testing it a couple of times, I'm quite impressed with it!! :D

Let me know what you think

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be in the Hampshire Hills section of Jackson, would you? There is a house right around the corner from me and it has that telltale "glow". I was wondering if it was you.

Hey guys;
Here is the progress, I have to give a BIG thanks to "SHIPWRECKED" for helping me get the stand and canopy, along with a metal halide.
It was such an experienced to get it all home ;D You Rock Bud!! ;D

I just set it up to test everything and will be taking it down to tighten everything and finish the plumbing and wiring,
will post more pics of the equipment and how I change it later. Live sand arrived and I have to add the rock, I only have a some and a lot of dead so I need to get more live.
th_Top.jpg

Here is my "makeshift" 20 gallon sump for the time being.... I decided That I'm going to try and go with a Refugium, So I just put the pump in a gallon jug cut in half, and filled the rest with live sand, live rock rubble and macro algae, Chaetto I think is the name of that one? I get them confused.
I also put, for the time being an Eheim canister filter full of filter floss to clean the dust and stuff, that will come off later (nitrate trap!!) and if you look closer..... you can see my Filter "sock" on the outlet pipe
YES!! its a real Sock!!

I DID say it was a budget build!! will have to give you the totals soon.

More later....
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq44/yuyiboy/IM000089.jpg
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq44/yuyiboy/IM000090.jpg

New Pics

After a little algae bloom, added a small cleaning crew and moved Blue to the tank.

All levels great.

Will post more later ;D
tank1.jpg

tank2-1.jpg

tank3-1.jpg

That is not just a damsel his name is "Blue" he is a member of the family LOL :)
Had him for a long time now must be 2+ years. I should get a real sock LOL

More pics

Here are a couple of pics of the sump and tank as of today. I'm having problems keeping the water clear and was thinking it was micro bubbles but after looking at it I saw the "Bubbles" were walking on the glass :eek:
I think some kind of Pods are having a heyday since there are no fish yet.
As for the rest of the cloudiness, I'm going to have to buy a "REAL" filter sock, someone told me to do so.
I also have added the skimmer, "Red Sea Berlin Classic Triple Pass" Thanks again Shipwrecked!! ;)
Sump.jpg

09.jpg