• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Innovative Marine Nuvo 8

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Well here is my reintroduction and my tank.
It's a nano as I live in a third floor apartment and am limited to 5 gallons of standing water.

I picked up the Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 gallon white for a steal at 160.00 shipped last fall.

I have the following hardware.
Tank
Nuvo Spinstream
Maxijet 900 return pump
2 koralia nano 425's
Theo 50w heater
inTank Media Basket
inTank fuge
10lb of figi pink LS
10 Lbs of premium LR
Reefkeeper elite net

I have a DIY custom LED setup
Includes 24 3 watt crees with a 2:1 ratio blue to white.
8 CREE XP-E R3 Cool White 3W LED On Star
16 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED On Star
They are driven by a Nanocustoms Duo 700 LED Driver. This has 2 700ma drivers that are on sliders and 3way rocker switch but also has a 0-10v input. I am running mine with the reefkeeper for the dusk dawn effect.
The LEDs are all on a Nanocustom heatsink and attached with BJB Solderless LED Connectors on Quadica thermal heat tape

My current Livestock List
Black Ice clown
Rainbow/Tri color BTA
Yellow corsis wrasse

Pom Pom crab
Nerites
Ceriths
Astreas

Fiji blues
Fire and ice
Green Bay packers
Red hornets
Chuckys brides
God of war
Jf atomic sunrise (bam bam's)
gates of hell lepastria
Aussie gold hammer
German blue digitata
Superman rhodactis
Common green, red, purple shrooms
Green Dream Pallies
GSP
Clove polyps
Devils Finger leather
Tongue coral
Lavender Hairy mushroom

My 2.5g AGA quarantine tank has turned into a full blown mini frag tank
I have a AC20 on the shoreside with a media rack holding media bags of carbon and phos ban and filter floss.
AC70 along the back with the fuge mod, it has my heater, temp and PH probes, rock ruble, cheato and is big enough to put my slim skim in if needed.

It is currently housing frags of nepthea, mushrooms, a encrusting chalice, a small Acan that started out with 2 heads and now has almost 10, my war coral that outgrew my tank(5-6 inches diameter)

I know my pics are crappy as I only have a iPhone to take them with, I'm currently fighting a algae bloom from crappy RODI water.
These are the most recent pics but are about a month old.

Attachments

• lfs0.th.jpg
    lfs0.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 445
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi LS2Goat,
Welcome to the Nano Forum!
The zoas in your tank look very happy.
One reason for your algae bloom may be your wrasse.
The minimum recommended tank size for that fish is around 50 gallons; he can grow to 5".
An 8 gallon nano, absent a LARGE sump, will not be able to support him long term; he will simply produce too much waste and deplete too much O2.
To give you an example, we have a 12g nano, a JBJ. It has been running for about 5 years. It currently houses a candy basslet, a magnificent goby, a cleaner goby (under 1") and a green banded goby (under 1"). For 12g of water volume, it is a heavily stocked tank.
With your clown and your wrasse, you are even more heavily stocked.
In the event of a power outage, your fish will run out of O2 very quickly and your tank will crash. I say this because it has happened to us; we had overstocked our 12g, and a short power outage almost crashed our tank because our fish's O2 consumption was too high for them to survive without power for long.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thanks for the welcome and the information.
The wrasse has doubled in size since I got him at the beginning of the head and I new I'd have to rehome him eventually. I'll probably put up a thread in a few days offering him to a good home.
I do keep battery powered air pumps on hand in case of power outages.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would be Interested in the yellow wrasse if you decide to get rid of him shoot me a PM..
I'll shoot you a PM later this week.

I picked up a dime sized Jawbreaker and a nuclear sunset mushroom from Darren on Satuday.
I removed the sun coral as it required to much extra feeding for such a small tank.

I'm debating about just staying with 1 fish or picking up a goby/shrimp combo.

I also upgraded my return pump to a MJ1200 in order to run a CL-85 nano chiller to fix my heat problems and it seems to be working great in combo with my reefkeeper elite.

A pistol shrimp and goby pair would be great in that size tank. You may want to look at yasha, Dracula, or high fin.
I also love my green banded goby, he likes to pertch on top of the zoas, which I think is cool.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
A pistol shrimp and goby pair would be great in that size tank. You may want to look at yasha, Dracula, or high fin.
I also love my green banded goby, he likes to pertch on top of the zoas, which I think is cool.

I was looking into the yasha, tiger shrimp combo.

I was looking into the yasha, tiger shrimp combo.

I have a Yasha and I love him.
Be prepared for the tiger to steal things. I have one in the 12 and another in the 205, and earlier this week, the tiger in the 205 stole a plate coral and dragged it a good 12 inches to try to incorporate in his burrow.

Frags on the sand bed are likely to become burrow support with a Tiger.

Another good shrimp that is less of a thief is a candy pistol.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Man I really love that combo. I was thinking of them for my 8 gal.
It's a toss up between a Randall pistol Combo and the Yasha Tiger combo, decisions, decisions,decisions :)

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don't have to much on the sand so the tiger wouldn't be a big problem but a randall's wouldn't be bad either.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
NikkiT, do you have to spot feed your tiger in the 12? Or will he come way out to feed? I'm wondering because I don't want anything in the tank that I have to dump a huge amount of food in just so that it will find enough food to survive and not attack the goby.

NikkiT, do you have to spot feed your tiger in the 12? Or will he come way out to feed? I'm wondering because I don't want anything in the tank that I have to dump a huge amount of food in just so that it will find enough food to survive and not attack the goby.

Both my pistols in our DT and the pistol in the 12g are fed by their gobies. I do some target feeding, but the gobies are pretty fast.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've given up on trying to trap my wrasse, the trap has caught my clown a couple dozen times now and I'm not going to rip the tank apart unless I have to.

Well my 2.5g AGA that was used for as a pico has been through a lot since in the past year and a half, turning into a QT tank that developed into a holding tank for excess corals then finally adding some eggcrate and a AC70 to make it a Pico frag tank.

I was looking at upgrading to a standard 5g AGA from petco, I tried to drill it for a Nova Tech Ice probe and it failed miserably. So I decided to order a custom tank from a local guy here on the East Coast that runs "Acrylic Creations".

It is 17x9x8 made of 1/2" acrylic with two wholes cut for 1/2" bulkheads if I decide to use it as a fuge later down the road, for now one is plugged with a bulkhead and plug and the other has the Ice Probe.
I'm using a AC70 along the back with fuge mod to hold the cheato, heater, temp/PH probes; it has enough room to put a skimmer in it if needed. I also have a AC70 along the right hand side with a inTank media basket running floss/carbon/phos ban.
I'm also using koralia nano 425 and seio 320 mini power-heads for added flow.
I have 2 Par38 bulbs for lighting, I may upgrade to a DIY Led setup later.
And the icing on the cake is that it's all controlled by my ReefKeeper Elite with ATO switches.

Right now it's running bare bottom with a few pieces of live rock in the AC70.

Some pics

Well I still can't post URL's so I'll add them later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Holy cow, that's a little tank with a lot of fire power! Nice

Beautiful tanks, and judging by your screen name, you have the car I want next too haha

Thanks, I'm debating about trading/selling it for a G8 GT or GXP.

Where did you get those frag racks btw? Awesome little tank.

I had them made for the tank when I ordered it from acrylic creations.
paid 100.00 plus shipping for the entire tank.

I second that the frag tank looks fantastic.
for the wrasse, if you have enough room add a jar with some pellets o the tank. Eventually he will go in, you can remove the jar, and you have caught him. This simple method has worked for me in nanos in the past.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I second that the frag tank looks fantastic.
for the wrasse, if you have enough room add a jar with some pellets o the tank. Eventually he will go in, you can remove the jar, and you have caught him. This simple method has worked for me in nanos in the past.

I was using the plastic Bottle with the top cut off and inverted, the problem is my clown. I caught him at least 15-20 times.
The best was I set the trap went to wash my hands and came back not 3 minutes later and the clown was in the trap.

here's another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 40