• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My New Nano(PICO) 5.5 gal AIO Build

I posted this up on the nano forum and thought I would share it here also.

I thought I would share my 5.5 gal all in one build . I started with a nano and have missed it since I took it down for a larger system . Main goals of this nano was to build it myself,have it AIO ,Rimless and keep it really clean with nothing showing in display . No powerheads ,filters,etc..
Well here it goes . I started with a 5.5 gallon anf removed the top brace and cleaned up all the silicone joints .
qwiknano002.jpg

next was to remove just the outer band from the top brace to be reused .
qwiknano003.jpg

I then reused the upper band on the bottom for a few reasons . I figured it might give a little more strenght to the tank . The main reason was to give a greater depth to the trim hiding the sandbed and plumbing .
qwiknano005.jpg

Next up was the plumbing . I wanted it hardlined and self contained . I found that by removing the little numbs on the outlet of a minijet it fits nice and tight inside this water line . I used the flater 90's so I have an area to silicone them down . I used street 45's as the final outlets . By leaving a few unglued I can direct the angle and hight of the return flow .
qwiknano009.jpg

I then had some black acrylic cut,made some teeth myself and a notch for the hard line .
qwiknano016.jpg

Well here is the final tank . It has been water tested. Next is to glue everything in place and direct the flow the way I want it . I plan on hiding the plumbing under a sabdbed and the returns in the rockwork . I am hoping for a crcular flow . Hope You enjoy. Please let me know, Enjoy Paul
qwiknano019.jpg

qwiknano020.jpg

Any questions,comments or critiqs welcomed .

I finally had tme to do some more work on it . I bought a nice piece of live rock and then using acrylic rods and epoxy added onto it . I added the rock and filled it with sand . I noticed one small leak in undersand plumbing which I will be fixing today . It still needs to cycle a little longer and a full cleanup before adding anything . There is actually one polyp open that cam as a hitchhiker . Please let me know what you think, thanks Paul.

pico55002-1.jpg

LOL, does that rock look familiar . I added onto it and cut the bottom flat to fit perfect . Just to let you know that rock you have drills and cuts real easy with a dremel,diamond wheel. There my zoa's now !

Just added a few zoa frags, cut them really small so I can watch them fill in and hopefully cover the epoxy putty. I also added a few feather dusters and some coralline from my main tank ,Enjoy,Paul

nano12-09002.jpg

nano12-09003.jpg

nano12-09004.jpg

nano12-09008.jpg

nano12-09009.jpg

nano12-09011.jpg

Looks great Paul!
What kind of lighting are you running for those Zoas? What are the dimensions of the tank? I ask out of self-interest. . . I'm looking for better lighting for my Pico than the power compacts it came with.

There also pc's,should be good for zoa's . The fixture is a current 12" 36 watt with a moonlight . Its a standard 5.5 I think 16"longx8"wide x10" high

Heres a pic of my yasha and palm tree (lol)you can just about see the top of my pistol shrimp in the photo.
yasha007.jpg

yasha003.jpg

qwik said:
Heres a pic of my yasha and palm tree (lol)you can just about see the top of my pistol shrimp in the photo.
yasha007.jpg

yasha003.jpg

my rock, my zoos, my shrimp, and my fish all look great! nice pic of the yasha

FTS -Added a two headed piece of frogspawn and a red hermit after the photo .Whats ya think so far ?
ftsmandy12-09003.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Tank looks great, just one comment on the frogspawn. Our exprience with frogspwan in nanos has been like this: That looks cool get a piece, sow it is growing and looks great, wow just added another head it looks great, uh oh it just stung another coral better give it some space, damn it is keep stinging other things but I love that coral, oh well into another tank it goes. We still have several heads in our tanks, just give it a lot of room.

Like the tank.

Personally I liked the original rock formation without the additional piece...but then again...it's not my tank.

Dave, I also liked it alot but needed the extra rock for bio-filtration. That one piece I had in there was not porus and I figured some cured rock would help it . I also hate the heater so the next one will be different .thanks