• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Oceanic Tech 120

Re: My Oceanic Tech 120 and a request for input.

I will post some...have taken a few recently just to busy/lazy to post.
Will make sure I get some of the mystery acro before I post.

Well took me an extra week.  So everything is knock on wood going well.  Had a small feeder pump issue.  Guess I needed to clean it cuz it stalled.  Have had a bit of brownish algae...could be different food or the skimmer being on the fritz for a while. 

Did pick up a duncan at OGII last night what a deal single frag with discount..well cheap.
So without further delay.
How he got out at the end? PS gorgonian was shedding as you can see later it is usually very purple.
Hermitbalancing.jpg

My CB Bangaii.
cardinal.jpg

cardinal2.jpg

crab
crab.jpg

candy cane at night...one of my first corals...started off with 5 heads now is about 13.
candycane060409.jpg

Hammer time
hammer.jpg

Red Sand Mystery Acro...tell Phil and me what it is.
redsandmystery.jpg

LHSide shot...was actually a parade of fish...they were following each other around the tank a bunch of times.
LHS051509.jpg

FTS
FTS0501509.jpg

So looking forward to getting a controller this month, thinking of going with the AC Jr.  and one of the hydor pumps too better feed my skimmer.  That is going to be my big tank purchase.

I am trying to take a break from working/checking my email...it's great to look at your fish and tank!!!!

holy cow that back wall is like corralline heaven. ;D

That is a great pic of that frag. I placed mine in a torrent of flow and now the polyps aren't out. Mine is like a dark brown. It has some nice long ugly algae growing on the disc too. Joy...let's just say you won't see any pics of it anytime soon.

Heck if it does well in your tank - you can have my other frag. :)

alright..back to work for me.

Yes it seems to like it there. I think it was a little darker when I got it, I guess it was probably under MH. Growth has been good and looks happy.

Thanks Bill, my one hammer is doing well enough to remind me of your tank. I am hoping the rest of my tank eventually gets there like yours.

Nice pix James. I really like those naso tangs. Hope your "mystery acro" turns out to be a stunner, it's known to happen!

Holy Smokes!!! 3 months I stink.
You all thought I wasn't even in the hobby anymore...oh yeah all my annoying posts. ;D
So I took some pics before but my bro-in law was here and he took some so I will use his for now get some more later once I get the white balance under control.
Have to thank him again eventually...new camera so he had some time on his hands.

Before the pics I struuuuugggglled with some summer algae outbreak. Tank got too warm and blammo red crap algae fight was on. Lost two heads on a green trumpet but that was it. Got a fan temp is down and most of the algae with it.
FTS090109
FTS090109.jpg

LHS
LHS090109.jpg

RHS
RHS090109pt2.jpg

RHS090109.jpg

Middle
midletank090109.jpg

Fish
Naso.jpg

3fish.jpg

clowns.jpg

SHARK!!!
shark.jpg

So got the AQjr setup and "programmed" before vacation. Unfortunately not all is quiet right so it is running the daytime lights, temp probe, and PH probe. Need some time to get it all worked out.
Also replaced some bulbs that came with the original unit. (Catalina Aquarium)
I am running mostly UV bulbs now with couple Giesemann.
Giesemann Super Actinic, UV Actinic White, 460 Slimpac Blue(got a Ice Cap deepwater blue to replace eventually), UV Aqua Sun 10K, UV Actinic White, UV Super Actinic, UV Aqua Sun, and Giesemann Super Actinic.
OK so have to say either the just upgrading from the stock bulbs or the 460 blue is the bomb. Maybe some combination of the two. The Slimpac Blue has great color crappy par, thus next go round will try the Ice Cap.
I have some of the other Ice Cap bulbs for the next round of replacement. I rotate 4 out at a time.
I am pretty close to Bill's colors....always a driving factor. Also made my nieces yellow finger nails glow like crazy. :D

Also brought some live sand back from Sanibel so added that to my fuge, tried some coquina little bivalves but think something ate them, rest of my live finds were all predatory so left them in FLA.
The tank is just over one year old at this point. Lot of the corals were from last years frag swap as well as the clam so if you go back to first couple pages you can check out the growth in a year.
Thanks for looking.

that clam is BIG! looking good the tank is filling out nicely.

algae - what algae? you should see the stuff in my tank...blech. That reminds me - water change tonight...lol.

Thanks
Clam has been a pleasant surprise we were worried when we bought it.

Me and my turkey baster beat the red slime with a little help from the fan.

James, the tank is looking superb. Keep it going.

After taking a few months off, after my new setup failure, I've finally got my 120 up and running and a few weeks ago started adding fish and coral. woohoo.

Glad to hear things are looking up for your tank.
Certainly look forward to seeing your progress.

James, nice setup. Water is really clear! Any fighting between the two tangs?

Thanks Jim, where besides a reef board would you be pleased by someone telling you your water is clear? ;D

Nope no fighting at all, unless you count tug of war with nori sheets. I have fought the urge to add any more fish even though it is not really heavily stocked. If it isn't broke as they say.

JRWOHLER said:
I have fought the urge to add any more fish even though it is not really heavily stocked. If it isn't broke as they say.

Yeah, I know, adding fish seems like playing Jenga sometimes, just one more but you don't want to upset the whole thing!

Well Macna was huge huh, great event wish I had caught more lectures, OK any lectures. :-[

I did speak to a bunch of vendors like ESV, Rods Food, Hydor, TECO, and few others that I use their products or services.

I am sure I learned a lot from them.

So I have been watching Bill's dialog on surface movement, actually believe we had a similar speach two frag swaps ago right?
Going to consider reworking my power heads. I did have great circulation in my nano with circular motion at the surface. More on that as I listen in.

So here are some pics with actinics.  Yeah my photo skills stink.

100_1220.jpg

100_1230.jpg

candycane.jpg

Now last year at the frag swap my wife got a derasa at the frag swap from saltwatercritters.  Jim gave her great advice and she really loves the clam...maybe as much as anything in the tank.
Here is the growth after one year.

derasa100209.jpg

clamandshrimp.jpg

Well as you can see you can certainly keep a derasa under T5 with great growth.
So my wife saw some maximas at MACNA and Jim had a really nice one that my wife liked.
Because of our great sucess last year we decided to give it a go.

maxima.jpg

I feed phyto and the maxima is actually on a thin piece of LR that you cannot see under the sand, it sort of got covered over.  I figure if I don't see growth I can move it up.  The derasa was the same size last year. Jim has had this clam for a while so it is used to T5 lighting which is part of why we went with them again. 

wow after seeing all your growth under t5s, i made up my mind! tank looks great i hope my 120 will look like that one day!