• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Oceanic Tech 120

Re: My Oceanic Tech 120 and a request for input.

Thanks a lot!!! I love the LPS under the actinics and blue lights. Wish I could get some good pictures.

One thing I have noticed is that I have to dose a whole lot more two parts then I used to to keep the everything where it should be.

Hope to get some pictures this week.

The tank is looking good. I also got a derasa clam at the frag swap and its doing well under T5's. The clam is at the bottom and my tank has no sand.

Well got the new computer setup and pictures downloaded. So no major bad issues with the tank other then I broke my orange cap again. ::) So just imagine the pictures without the big leaf in front on the orange cap.
Bulldozer snail from Reef2Rept.
snail.jpg

Front right actinics
RHSfront.jpg

RHS shot you can see the RBT in the back ... it split recently when I don't know just noticed about a week ago.
RHS.jpg

Mid tank...actinics
MiddleFTS.jpg

LPS on left side actinics
LPS.jpg

cont....

FTS actinics
FTSActinics.jpg

FTS LED
FTSled.jpg

and finally my three new fish.
4Line in QT...added last night but no pic yet.
4Line.jpg

pair shark nosed gobbies in DT
Newgobies.jpg

Nobody paid attention to the gobbies...the 4 line was chased a bit covered the tank for a few nights at least.  All fish were from Will at AO the gobbies were CB and all were super healthy, I put them through QT anyway no signs of any problems.

Should add Will had the pair for a few weeks and while not positive they looked like a pair...no disputes between them and they hang out all the time so thanks goes out to Will for the heads up.

Busy life got my knee fixed, group buy, holidays.
Very happy with the tank. Buying anything new is well complicated now.
My two gobbies both decided to carpet surf. :'(
My bi-color pseudocromis just disappeared, hope the RBTA ate him lil bastard...though he was my oldest fish at 6 years. :-\
So added three fish two jumped and a third disappeared....looks like 7 is the magical number for my tank.
FTS 0117010
FTS.jpg

caps frag swap 2008 I have auto fragged the orange 5 times I think.
Caps.jpg

Idaho grape...Baxter 2008 frags swap and trumpet coral follows also Bax
IdahoGrap.jpg

Trumpet.jpg

RBTA in the back.
RBTA.jpg

LPS my favorites normal and actinic
LHS.jpg

LHSactinics.jpg

Zoas
Zoas-2.jpg

War from Steve
War.jpg

Two actinic shots RHS and purple rim cap.
RHSactinics.jpg

Purplerimactinics.jpg

That's all folks.

The tank looks good!

The polyps on your trumpet look awesome! My grape took tow yeasr to settle in and decide to grow, I have sheets of it now! :D

Good frags = good coral ;D....I had to move the trumpet, got in a fight with some palys, now it is super happy. Cannot get a good pic under actinics too wildly bright.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Hey JR, did my long overdue update inspire you to update yours? LOL.

Sorry to hear about the pair of gobies, I know how you feel there brother.

Overall, your tank looks great, but I think you need a few more Hammers. ;D Just kidding, they look great! Your War is a bit bigger than mine, hope mine starts expanding like that. Love the trumpets too, looks like it's in a good spot now.

JRWOHLER said:
My bi-color pseudocromis just disappeared, hope the RBTA ate him lil bastard...though he was my oldest fish at 6 years. :-\
Sorry I had to laugh when I read this....

Dang on the shark-nose. I am surprised you even found them given how big they are and what they'd probably be like shriveled up.

Your corals look so fantastic. Great mature tank. Is that a chalice in between the zoas and hammers? I also love the gsp covered overflow...neat stuff!

Yeah I got the enchinats and alien eye from Dace on MR, good guy. Pretty low light I tried it out in the open and it was blah. In the shade it is pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the complements, I had planned on updating but had a ballest go(Catalina sent me a new one) so color was soso...and wanted to put in the Ice Cap bulbs too.

As far as Ice Cap I am using the twilight and 10K bulb which I think are pretty good, the 14K is OK not that wowed by it, like the 10K/Aquasun better or the Actinic White UVL bulb. Have to assume that Par is close to the UVL levels so makes more sense to go 10K/Aquasun in my book for added par.

Think the big difference in coral growth has been the Rods Food....I am not a clean feeder. I love the LPS so let everything get some and everything outside of the SPS has just exploded sorta recently. Though caps and birdsnest are doing well too.

I also have most of the AC jr controller setup well...I have a glitch in one fuge light :-[
Think that is about it.

TanksNStuff said:
Hey JR, did my long overdue update inspire you to update yours? LOL.

Sorry to hear about the pair of gobies, I know how you feel there brother.

Overall, your tank looks great, but I think you need a few more Hammers. ;D Just kidding, they look great! Your War is a bit bigger than mine, hope mine starts expanding like that. Love the trumpets too, looks like it's in a good spot now.

I love blange's tank so that was my inspiration. Steve sent me the war coral after it was in his tank forever so was nice small colony by the time I got it. I have to admit I thought of my jumpers when I read yours. Think it is important to admit what goes wrong. Maybe 7 fish is the magic number on my tank. I found them slightly damp but very dead no amount of mouth to mouth could get them breathing again. :eek:

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

If you ever attempt mouth to mouth on a fish, please video tape it! :eek:

Everything but the favia and the gorgonians were frag sized when I got them...or mini-colony but aquacultured in someone's tank.

R

reseter5

pictures do not do justice for the tank james.. in person it looks too good to be real.. the colors .. how clean the tank is... there is a lot of time in that tank and it shows... we can all learn a thing or two from james.... amazing tank...

tank looks awesome, is your rock right against the back wall or spaced out a bit?

I have a 135 oceanic i'm going to setup very soon!

Thanks a lot for the super kind words. I have two islands that are really almost centered. They are connected by a couple bridges. I also have one small island on the back wall with GSP, Kenya tree, purple star polyps, that I don't want overrunning the rest of the tank. Sorta works still get baby trees floating around.

So it has been about 2 months.
Equipment updates.
Got one new Koralia Evolution nice...bit smaller output the same as the K4 less watts.
Changed from mesh mod to purple pin wheel on my sicce pump.
So here are my observations, volume of bubbles is greater had to lower the level in my sump a bit and open the gate valve. Bubble size...hard to say perhaps a bit bigger, which would suggest less efficient. Start up as cranky as ever :(. But quieter :). So will monitor the skimate for you all and give it a grade later.
Added Ice Cap bulbs Deepwater, OK, next up is ATI blue plus. UVL actinic...going back to Giesemann. Ice Cap 10K and Aquasun..honestly same cannot tell difference if any I know they are both made by UVL.
Livestock
Purple monster ... AO
Coral beauty ... AO ... could also be called a purple monster. Not to bad a picker I don't trust him. Note that my son picked him over a flame angel, so I didn't have a choice.
And finally I have 3 RBTA now, they are all in the back they keep splitting, looks like you can add RBTA to cheato as list of things I can grown.
Pics to follow.

Clown in the original RBTA.
Clown032810.jpg

All three RBTA if you can see them.
3anemone.jpg

Frogspawn.
Frogspawn-1.jpg

LHS
LHS032810.jpg

RHS looking for food.
RHS032810Waitingfood.jpg

Newer corals including purple monster.
RHS032810.jpg