• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Natureef Denitrifier

So I have been using the Natureef Reactor since I started my tank about a year ago. It has taken some minor adjustments along the way but I have to say this reactor is amazing. My bio load is far from light and couldn't begin to tell you how many fish I have but I do know I have more tangs than I probably should! Given the number of tangs I feed fairly heavy and my nitrates are steady at 5-10ppm and po4 holds in the .03-.05ppm range. Interesting thing was within the last two weeks my po4 dropped to zero all of a sudden. I don't run a fuge and while I was using 1/3 of the suggested amount of rowa for a while I have taken that offline now too. Even though you don't need to do water changes I still do a 20% change every 5-6 weeks. Anyone that is thinking about this reactor or is on the fence about it....I would highly recommend you do it.

arvin

NJRC Member
I have a 180g+60g DT, 75g sump and a 75g Fuge. Never had a nitrate issue. It is undetectable probably due to my weekly water change regimen which I am doing currently to battle hair algae and cyano. Thinking of going Natureef. I see many have recently joined the bandwagon. Any advice that I can use?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I have a 180g+60g DT, 75g sump and a 75g Fuge. Never had a nitrate issue. It is undetectable probably due to my weekly water change regimen which I am doing currently to battle hair algae and cyano. Thinking of going Natureef. I see many have recently joined the bandwagon. Any advice that I can use?

PM sent

I also had zero measurable nitrates and phosphates, but had runaway nuisance algae. Excess algae will suck nitrates out off the water and tests will come up clean. It took 4 months after starting Natureef for the algae to disappear.

Dont be fooled by test results. Get started now and be patient. It takes time to starve out the enemy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I also had zero measurable nitrates and phosphates, but had runaway nuisance algae. Excess algae will suck nitrates out off the water and tests will come up clean. It took 4 months after starting Natureef for the algae to disappear.

Dont be fooled by test results. Get started now and be patient. It takes time to starve out the enemy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Good to hear it's working out Doug!

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What's the difference between this and say the Deltec NFP509 Nitrate Filter?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's interesting. I'm curious what @dnov99 might have to say. Reading the description, it appears to be based on a similar methanol consuming bacteria to "digest" the nitrates. Although, if I understand this correctly, you need to inject the methanol manually with this system while the Natureef is automated.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Correct it requires a carbon based food source, but is easily setup using vodka/ro in a 1g container with a dosing pump that'll last a month.

Still interested in what he has to say!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am no expert on the naturereef, thought I do run one, but the biggest difference I see is that the Deltec does not address phosphates.

After reading through the Deltec manual, the biggest difference I see is that it is intended to operate on a continuous feed, not an fill and dump cycle like the Natureef. I'm not sure which would be more effective. From what I understand about the Natureef, the conversion of nitrates is not linear throughout the cycle. I don't know how that plays out with a continuous feed. I could see it being fussier, since it probably must have just the right flow rate to function efficiently. With the Natureef, it doesn't much matter if the nitrates are all used up before the end of the cycle. The only thing to avoid with Natureef is overdosing the alcohol, since you don't want it getting dumped into the tank. The other thing I wonder, seeing how gunked up my Natureef gets, is how the Deltec doesn't get clogged up with bacteria, given that it is full of some sort of media balls.