• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need advice

68b443a8b43524e0b6aa9a777a12a6a0.jpg
b67e42d3f540092aed8e22cf0be7bec1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am not exactly sure what chemi pure blue is. It seems to be an enhanced version of activated carbon. It should not remove nutrient significantly so you can leave it in. I do not run activated carbon on a regular basis. Only occasionally to remove the yellow color from the water (like once every 6 months if I can remember).

When you feed your tank nutrient will be the end product. So you must export it. You have a few options:

Water change: For a small tank water change is possible but even for a 24 gallon tank you will need to change a lot of water.

Algae scrubber, Cheato: for an AIO you will not have enough room to grow algae and it's very ugly to have a refugium hanging out on the side. However this can be a viable method with a dedicated refugium setup.

Carbon dosing. I do this for my 200g system and I think it's appropriate for an AIO as well. What's happening is bacteria will grow consuming carbon source and in the process removing BOTH nitrate and phosphate. I use a DIY version of nopox (25% vodka, 50% vinegar, 25% rodi water). It's easy to dose and the dosage will determine how much nutrient is removed. I dose manually, 2ml daily. You will dose about 0.2ml. A very small amount. If you want to do this I recommend you buy decent vodka because you will end up drinking a majority of the bottle :). You must have a decent skimmer for this. Skimmate will increase significantly. Also you will need monitor NO3 and PO4 levels. At the beginning you will measure every couple of days. Once you settle into a routine measure every couple of weeks. If you miss a dose just double the dose the next day. I keep my at 0.03 PO4 and 1 ppm NO3.

When you carbon dose you will setting into a routine and your tank will hopefully achieve a balance. I see algae diminishing in my tank when this happens.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Your light intensity seems to be pretty high at 80%. You could be cooking them as well. Corals will die faster under intense light rather that at a lower setting

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have an algae scrubber on my AIO unit. You can look at my build in my signature.

In the past I was using blue and found that along with the purigen, they became costly and unecessary over time once I had the algae scrubber. In your case you are going to run chaeto so it should work out the same.

I have never carbon dosed before so I can't comment on that.

The reason your test kits are reading "normal" is because all of the chems are pulling everything out....almost making your tank void of anything beneficial to your fish n corals

What ur livestock count?

Yes the fish are eating, I have two bullet hole clowns, a yellow spotted sand sifting copy and a pipe fish. I have various snails and hermits and a purple lobster. Thank you for the light video I will give it a look and lower it. And I'll look into the algae scrubber

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
A dress the light 1st before adding your scrubber. Each tank is different so there may not be a need depending on your feedings and maintenance schedule. I'm using an ATS only because I have done away with the various chems

I just watched the video, I lowered my levels and also I lowered the height of the unit, I thought it was 8inches off the top but I was wrong I now have it at 7.5 inches from the top of my water.

I don't have a par meter so I'm not sure if my numbers are right for what I eventually want. I want a lps/softie tank..I was looking last night and I'm liking the toadstool corals

Last edited:
Finally got my uv sterilizer, and my tank is crystal clear again and looking good some of the corals are still kinda closed up I'm just leaving get the tank alone and let nature happen.. I got the JBJ nano zapp if any one was wanting to know what I got

erics210

NJRC Member
You said your hammers dont open as much as they had. Did you move them or move a powerhead/pump return?
I did this and my hammers were getting too much flow causing them to push roughly against the hard skeleton and cause them to recede. I moved to a calmer spot and doing much better. Just a thought.