• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help putting a value on a possible purchase

150 or 220

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This thread is no longer valid, I'm going to be picking up a tank from JohnS and Phyl!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
With all the variables meaning you don't know what is hiding I am for 50% of new retail. I would go 1500 on this if in good shape maybe slightly more. .

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just to give you the heads up, MRC's are disgustingly noisy and need very large volume pumps. If you have a remote fish room, the noise shouldn't be an issue. I have both and MRC 1 and MRC 2.....best skimmers I've owned as far as pulling the gook. As far as price, I can't help short of used fish stuff doesn't sell well.

I like my MRC1. it is DIY'd rigged to extend the body making it more a MRC 3 or more. That stated, I dislike those white screws and if you don't tighten it correctly, it will maddeningly leak. You do require a separate pump for it unlike many skimmers today where you just buy the entire set up together. Mine is in a separate room/basement so I don't notice the noise. The external pump was the loudest thing - and I switched to an internal pump...i don't hear it.

I'm not sure how much i'd pay for such a set up but 50% seems too much to me. If he/she expects you to go to his home and purchase a used set up, i wouldn't pay more than 25 cents on the dollar. but that's me.

that looks like a reeflo external pump. it looks pretty beat....I loved mine. I got it used and worked solidly for almost 8 years for me. it's $50 for a replacement seal - and given the looks of that pump, you will need it. or get a brand new one. That's a lot of jury rigging pvc he has there and you will need to reconfigure it to your room/set up. he will have to cut all that pvc up in order to ship that....

It's hard to tell but are there any scratches on the tank?

truth be told the only thing of some value is the skimmer from what I saw. is that a chiller next to the skimmer?

one last thing - this tank doesn't have built in overflows - he used glass hole cutters to set that up. I'd be really leary of moving such a tank given it's compromised in that way already. That's just me...maybe others feel fine with it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
one last thing - this tank doesn't have built in overflows - he used glass hole cutters to set that up. I'd be really leary of moving such a tank given it's compromised in that way already. That's just me...maybe others feel fine with it.

Phil, I think (and that's a BIG think) it has a standard behemoth overflow (I think I see it). I've got to believe those "extra" bulkheads we see are for a closed loop....but that's a guess as well. If it was me....a cheap SOB....I'd offer 1000 and see what happens. I actually think that generous.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thanks for the input, I think I've got him at $800 as of now. He was going to include a 2010 MP40 at $1000 but I am passing on that. Trying for $600.
The chiller is not included as far as I'm aware of.

I've spent the better part of the past 2 years piecing together all the parts for a large 200g+ build before hitting a road block and then settling for a 90g instead but I've since decided to ditch the 90g and go bigger as I should have from the get go.
With that being said I have a Vectra L1 pump that I'm sure will handle the return aswell as a manifold for that skimmer and a few reactors and 2.5 MP40's(the 0.5 is one for parts)

Good point on the overflows, I'll see about getting more pictures. If it isn't a RR tank I don't think I'd be interested!

It is located in North North Jersey

Last edited:

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Got an updated tank pic, it is a RR tank. It looks like it had a closed loop added ontop of the regular overflow/return lines.

I'm assuming you'd need check valves on each of those...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would have guessed it was set up as closed loop at some point. I'd try to avoid check valves....there are ways around them. They will eventually fail.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would have guessed it was set up as closed loop at some point. I'd try to avoid check valves....there are ways around them. They will eventually fail.

I have no experience with closed loop systems,
I'm assuming I'd need 2 returns pumps and use one set of drains specifically for the closed loop.

Is it possible to plug the bulkheads or is that just asking for trouble down the road?

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'm going to make a decision tonight.

Another option I was debating was a 6ft 150g with good stand/canopy that's been sitting at a LFS in Hamilton for some months, I swung by earlier today and they had removed the $1500 price tag and said they just want it gone! Think $500-$750 for it.

Im not seeing any negatives from any one that would turn me off of the 220g so any last thoughts from any one?

Even a flat yes or no would help!

Can I add a poll?

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The 220 seems like a pretty good deal....and yes, a simple plug can be used to block off the closed loop bulkheads. You'll just need to provide flow by powerheads/gyre.

For 700-800$ if everything works and the front glass is not scratched bad I would say yes. Check that front glass good with the halides on. Scratches are easy to hide in the dark.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sorry messed that up. Went off the first post "yes or no" to the listed set up.