• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Neverbeast zoas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that calculator is saved on my home screen I ended up going with Randy Holmes Farley’s recipe since my system is smaller and I wanted a good starting point, but that calculator is perfect. I have ALOT of faith in his recipes. Been using his 2 part.

I use this calculator...http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I take 900ml of water and add 35 teaspoons of sodium nitrate...in my system it add .31ppm for every 1ml...so I usually dose 40-50ml at a time. Which would be 12-15ppm in MY 120 system...use that calculator to figure it out.

I find that I can’t add many more teaspoons in 900ml.
How long does it take to see nitrates show up in your system with that dosing schedule. Also instead of me dosing 13 ml twice a day I can get away with just dosing 26 ml every day at once without doing any harm? My
System is only 50 gallons total

erics210

NJRC Member
How long does it take to see nitrates show up in your system with that dosing schedule. Also instead of me dosing 13 ml twice a day I can get away with just dosing 26 ml every day at once without doing any harm? My
GREAT Info from both of you, and good questions about seeing Nitrates in the actual system.

D

Deleted member 27248

To be 100% honest with you. I only dose nitrates as needed. Which comes out to about once every 3 to 4 weeks. I usually add it at night all at once. And I check the kit the next day.
I do not know this for a fact but since it is just sodium nitrate And it’s not breaking down into another chemical compound, I would have to assume that would show up instantaneously in the tank system.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They didn’t melt from 40 nitrates. 40 nitrates is a great number. It’s more likely that you didn’t have enough phosphates (or something else)
You are the second person saying PHIS is to low. I was told the diatoms will go away if I increase the PHOS.
What does everyone use?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Nice! But you're soooo far away. Good luck with your sale!! :)

Diana, do you still go by my office often? Ryan is fairly close to me and we’ve been trading a bunch. He’s a great guy with a healthy system. When my office opens back up I’d be happy to make deliveries for you if you guys do any trading. :)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Diana, do you still go by my office often? Ryan is fairly close to me and we’ve been trading a bunch. He’s a great guy with a healthy system. When my office opens back up I’d be happy to make deliveries for you if you guys do any trading. :)
I haven't been that way since last March. I would run over to Monmouth University to drop off things to my son who dorm there. The University has been remote learning since march. But if you have corals, I have no problem driving over to your office when you're back! Thanks!

Amzazon? May have to pick up just in case I need since my phosphates already low. I had to revamp my nitrate dosing to more. My curremt solution that I dosed last night did nothing. I ended increasing to dose 45 ml potassium nitrate everyday. According to calculator if I use 5 tablespoons of potassium nitrate and add to 1500 ml solution which is my dosing container that will yield .19 ppm nitrate giving me an overall of 8.55 for 50 gallons so I dosed at 12:00 will check later to see what registers. I did do a test in my return section where I’m dosing as soon as it dosed and I got a reading of about 30-40 ppm so fingers crossed

Guess this is the same pretty cheap or
Should I go with the food grade one which is a little more expensive?

Attachments

• 9EB74E4C-86AB-47C7-A251-0A0DDC5B661D.png
    9EB74E4C-86AB-47C7-A251-0A0DDC5B661D.png
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 8AC75BB0-BC69-47E2-A235-78F7D6750B2F.png
    8AC75BB0-BC69-47E2-A235-78F7D6750B2F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
D

Deleted member 27248

This is the forumla I use for my 120g system...it’s the same calculation as potassium phosphate.

Attachments

• 31D5E4FD-BB6D-487C-B170-D5ADA95BDA83.png
    31D5E4FD-BB6D-487C-B170-D5ADA95BDA83.png
    1 MB · Views: 5

erics210

NJRC Member
Sooo, just a quick update.
I know my Alk has been at 9 since early December with usually 10ml or so daily doising, and necessary adjustments when I was doing my water changes.
The calcium didnt seem to be moving at all. so didnt dose Calcium.

Although I picked up the NeoNitro, and dosed a couple capfuls last week, I decided to stop, do a HUGE detritus hunt first.
I vacuumed the tank(barebottom), then aimed a powerhead at the back corners of the tank, pulled out a turkey baster and went haywire.
Again vacuuming the detritus off the bottom.
Since everything was also suspended, had to change filter socks too.
I tested yesterday morning after the storm settled.
Normally I would adjust Alk/Calcium immediately after the water change.

3-1
79 degrees
ALK was just 8.3
Calcium was just 400
MAG just 1110
pH 8.2
Nitrates (Red Sea 20), (API Zero )
Phosphates(API) 0.5

Anyway
I adjusted the 8.3 to 9.0 ALK
Dosed to raise MAG to 1200.
Dosed to raise Calcium to 450

*** 3-2
Tested this morning, ALK 8.3 again.
Dropped way more than my daily anticipated 0.2
(Read- that when adjusting Mag and CAL it could lower ALK)

Calcium 460
Magnesium 1260
Nitrates and Phosphates were similar.

I dosed ALK back to 9.0 and added magnesium to shoot for 1300

My corals look SO FREAKING HAPPY!
Fluffy, Polyps Out.

After tomorrow, I will see if my uptake is back to the usual 0.2 ALK daily.
MAYBE with the corrected Calcium and Magnesium parameters, Maybe my daily ALK uptake is indeed going to be higher. If higher I will HAVE to dig out the dosing pump I have.
So will be testing the rest of this week to dial it all in, then just weekly.

If everything stays as expected I will do an ICP test!
See what that says about the overall trace elements and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.