• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new 40 breeder tank set up.

Hey so I just got a 40 breeder from Petco $1 gallon sale and scored there display stand for it cheap too. Its just there black metal stand. I also got the glass top cause this is going to be my 3 yr old sons Nemo tank. This is going to be set up in his room and don't really want him to drop stuff in there plus I figure it will help with slowing down the evaporation.

Kinda just wanting to get some thoughts on how you guys would set up a 40b tank. Only definite I will have is has to have a clownfish and I am going to use the large aquafuge hob filter. Cause my wife doesn't want anything fishy in the bottom of stand. Like I said its just there metal stand that kinda has a shelf at bottom but not closed in.

My thoughts kinda starting it as a fowlr to get it started but will be getting easy coral later and possibly a nem.

Above tank stand and aquafuge

This 4 bulb light with timer. I figure it will be able to handle easy coral down the road and I can just by the better bulbs when it come time to replace the ones that come with it.
http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52324.htm

For movement I would really like a used mp10 but if I cant find a cheap one then I would use 2 korolia power heads just not to sure on which ones to get. I'm think maybe 2. One 425 gph and one 550gph? Or should I do 2 550 gph ones?

Rock and sand I was going to go with marco rocks 40lb combo which is 40lb rock and 40lb of there sand just not sure which to pick fine or coarse?
http://www.marcorocks.com/40poundboxkeylargorock40poundsbahamasaragonitesandfreeshippinginthecontinentalusallsandshipsuspsprioritymail.aspx

Stock
Oc clownfish
Naked clownfish
Fire fish (maybe)
A pair of cardinal fish
Some kind of small angel
A green clown goby (are they considered a sand sifting goby?)

Down the road I will add a aqua c remora hob skimmer but think I could get away with out one till I stock up on fish or untill I get coral?

Eventual coral
I love acans could I keep them with above 4 bulb light?
Torch
Frogspawn
A anemone of some sort kinda leaning towards long tip purple
Some mushrooms and zoes

Is this to much for A 40b? What would u switch or how would u set it up and stock pics and suggestions please.

O also will have heater in aquafuge and figured a small bag of chemi pure elite. And make thst a deep sand bend with rubble rock also.

I am also about to start up a 40b. I already have everything ordered or on hand. Here is what has been recommended to me:

I dont think 2 nanos will be enough. heres what I'm getting. They say they are 1600gph but other people that have used them say they are not that strong. I have seen quite a few 40b's with thempowerheads

So far as rock/sand, this place reefrocks has rock of the same quality, and you can get 40lbs pre rinsed sand for the cost of shipping ($15)... much cheaper.

Clowns and fire fish are fine. More than one cardinal (depending on which you are thinking of) are likely to attack each other in a tank that small. Stick with one. Small angels are quite likely to eat coral, but don't always. They can also be fussy eaters and don't always do well for some unknown (at least to me) reason. I've been looking at them also. The flame seems to be the safest. If you can, watch one for a couple of weeks to be sure its healthy/eating. Clown gobys like to hang out in lps/softies. Probably won't hurt them but they will irritate it. They are also likely to nip at and lay eggs on sps.

You can get by without a skimmer for awhile (or completely) by feeding light and doing religious weekly w/c's. I personally have one for my new tank, but never used one in my current tank (20t).

acans (from my experience at least) don't need huge amounts of light. all of mine are on the sanded. ditto torch/frogspawn. nems can be tricky. Do your research first. everything else sounds good. good luck

i just answered this in detail with links but my acct is too new, its waiting for a moderator to approve... sorry
Hey u posted that u are going to start a 40b build too right? What is ur plan and set up gonna be? I don't mind if u post it up here. Once I get more stuff together I'm going to start a build thread. This is just for plans and ideas using a 40b

LOL yeah, thats the stuff I just posted that hasn't been approved yet. I'll post it again without links, hopefully it will come up.

power heads- I'm getting JBJ ocean stream kit 1600gph- seen quite a few 40bs with these. People say they are perfect, flow isn't too strong. I personally have 2 425's in my 20T now. I don't think that nanos will be enough for a 40b.

Look up reefrocks. you can get 40lbs pre rinsed sand for the cost of shipping ($15) when you buy 25lbs+ of rock, and if you want you can get rock by the lb. I did. same quality as marco rocks.

clowns/firefish are fine. more than one cardinal in a 40 will probably start a war (depending on which kind you get). stick with 1. Small angels often (but not always) nip corals. For some (unknown to me at least) reason they don't always do well in aquariums. if you can, watch one for a couple of weeks to make sure its eating and healthy. Flames are the safest for coral. Green clown gobys perch on coral. probably won't hurt them, but they will close up when they do. they can also lay eggs on and damage sps. they don't sift sand.

you can get by w/o a skimmer so long as you feed light and do religious weekly w/c's. I've never had one on my 20, no problems, but I did get a reef octopus hob for my 40 just to be on the safe side. I want to get sps in this tank.

acans, torch, frogspawn, etc should be fine in that light. I currently have 2x t5ho on my 20 and I have everything mentioned but the froggy. not too sure bout the nem. I am also thinking of getting one for the new tank, but I got leds for that tank.

Cool I was looking at the karolia wave kit but wasnt sure if that would be to much and also heard those can burn out the pumps since they just cut them on and off randomly.

How much rock and sand u going with?

I was talking about the kudroul(spelling?)cardnials thought they had to be in pairs. But one would be fine and think I may swap out the clown goby for a 6 line wrasse. Don't think I will be going for much sps mostly soft and lps.

What are you doing for filtration?

AI's vega color leds. they are gorgeous and you can set them up however you want.

I was thinking of the koralias too, but you have to get the evo pumps with them and a lot people say they are loud/make a clicking noise when they switch heads. the jbjs are also just a touch cheaper.

I currently have about 30lbs lr and ordered another 30 in dry. I have 20lbs sand and ordered another 40, but I don't know if I'm going to use it all.

Not sure which cardinal you mean, but I think its the banggai (black/silver?). I've seen different people say different things, but in a tank this size I would be afraid to have more than one. Can it work? Yes. But I wouldn't bet on it. They are also nocturnal, so you wont see them move around a whole lot. I like the six line too, but they tend to be bullies. If you get one make sure you have fish that can stick up for themselves (fire fish are out). If you go that route check out dottybacks. I would love to have one, very pretty fish.

so far as filtration, live rock (obviously) and a reef octopus bh2000. Bigger than I needed but I got a great deal on it. I was originally looking at the bh100f. I also have a HOB CPR fuge with chaeto, red gracialara(sp?), and mangroves. Live rock rubble in there too.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you are going to run everything HOB, I would recommend the CPR HOB refugiums and the Aqua C Remora. Let me dig around I think I still have both of mine off of my old systems.

Lighting: You might be able to get away with a 4 bulb but if you can find a 6 bulb you will be set for whatever coral you decide. If you get the 4 bulb, just make sure the fixture has good reflectors. If you have your heart set on the nem, you probably want to go with 6.

Not sure on the flow, have had vortechs for the last three years.

Stocking: Pair of clowns is good, firefish would be great since you are going to have the glass lid. Clown gobies make their homes in SPS frags/colonies. They can become rather irritating to the coral and can even kill the coral. So if you are looking for a lot of SPS then I would avoid one.

We ran HOB systems for 3 years and had a lot of success with them (the biggest one being 45g). We were just diligent in our maintenance and 10% weekly water change.

Thanks guys. So stocking thinking

2 clowns like I said above
1 banggai cardinal
1 6 line wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 cleaner shrimp

And not sure if I could/should squeeze one more fish

Mnat which remora c and pump did u run? And if u find them will they be up for sale??? If so I call dibs :-D

Do u guys think I would be ok with 40lbs of each rock and sand?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would nix the six line. They are known terrors and in a 40 it might just kill all your fish. Maybe a nice flasher wrasse.

I will pm you on equipment if it becomes available.

Thanks guys. So stocking thinking

2 clowns like I said above
1 banggai cardinal
1 6 line wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 cleaner shrimp

And not sure if I could/should squeeze one more fish

Mnat which remora c and pump did u run? And if u find them will they be up for sale??? If so I call dibs :-D

Do u guys think I would be ok with 40lbs of each rock and sand?

IMO that is pretty light stocking. You could probably get away with another fish or 2, depending on size, activity level, etc. maybe check out bottom dwellers?

It is generally recommended to have 1-2lbs rock per gallon

IMO that is pretty light stocking. You could probably get away with another fish or 2, depending on size, activity level, etc. maybe check out bottom dwellers?

It is generally recommended to have 1-2lbs rock per gallon

Cool I'm still thinking about an angel like a lemon peel or maybe I still will get him the lil green clown goby. I was thinking about ground dwellers but I don't want a sand sifting goby. What other fish are there

just because they live at the bottom doesn't mean they are sand sifters- and by this I am assuming you mean that they run sand through their gills to capture food. There are many cool gobies that live on the bottom of the tank. They sometimes build caves or find crevices to use as one. My favorites are the yellow watchman and yasha. They can also have symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp. The blue spotted jawfish is also very pretty. They will move sand around to create burrows, but I'm fairly certain they are not sand sifters as I described above. I'm going to try to post a link for you that shows some cool shrimp gobies. Quite a few of these are pretty easy to find locally.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I agree that a pistol shrimp with a goby is an awesome addition to any tank. Of those fish in the link we have experience with the dracula, yasha, wheelers and the yellow watchman (That list is from favorite to least favorite).

Blue spot jawfish can be very tough, take a look at the smaller eaier pearly headed jawfish. They would do great in a covered 40g with a nice sand bed.