• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new 40 breeder tank set up.

If your thinking of and angel just use caution. If you decide to do corals they like to eat/nip at them. I aquired a LemonPeel because it was wiping out the zoa's in someone elses tank.

I agree that a pistol shrimp with a goby is an awesome addition to any tank. Of those fish in the link we have experience with the dracula, yasha, wheelers and the yellow watchman (That list is from favorite to least favorite).

Blue spot jawfish can be very tough, take a look at the smaller eaier pearly headed jawfish. They would do great in a covered 40g with a nice sand bed.
I'm liking the yasha goby and I think the baby will think he looks cool too. Should I be getting him with the shrimp together or would it be fine to get them separate? So think ****ing it's gonna

2 clowns
1 banggi cardinal
1 blue flasher wrasse (or some kind of flasher wrasse)
1 Yasha goby shrimp combo
1 green clown goby

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You can get them seperate, we have done it several times. Candy striped pistols are our favorite as they stay relatively small and will absolutely pair up with the fish. The tiger is our second favorite but they do get bigger and are insane diggers. Any other kind I am very leary of as we have gotten ones that do not pair up and can go after fish and other inverts.

Also I agree with the above poster, lemonpeels in reefs is probably a bad idea. They are one of the worst as far as coral eating goes. I know there are some exceptions, but I would consider them serious outliers.

2 clowns
1 banggi cardinal
1 blue flasher wrasse (or some kind of flasher wrasse)
1 Yasha goby shrimp combo
1 green clown goby(maybe)
1 royal gramma

I forgot about the royal gramma. So I think that's it for my fish. And I think I might just buy one koralia evolution pump at first to get weverything started then by the second one and the smart wave later.

sounds like its coming together nicely:)

Yea researching & planning is the easy part. Its getting the money to do it all that's the hard part.
Now my main coral I want are acans should a 156w of t5 lighting be good enouch for them in a 40 breeder tank? And in what order do u think I should get the fish? I'm sure my wife is going to want the clowns first.

I would put the wrasse and clowns in last. Start with the goby/pistol pair first. This way they have time to build there home before putting the wrasse in.

Thanks for the input.

And I looked into reefrocks.net I'm probably gonna go with them cause I can get 50lbs of rock and get the free 40lbs of sand and just pay $14.99 for sutting the sand and that will still be like $15 less then buying the 40lbs combo pack of sand and rock marcorocks.com. cheeper sand more can't go wrong with that

Word of warning about reefrocks. They take a long time to deliver and most likely you will have to keep bugging him to get it. A few here including myself have had issues with them. If you don't mind the drive I suggest checking out ultra corals, a vendor here. They usually have reef rocks available. Other then the wait I think reefrocks are well worth it.

Word of warning about reefrocks. They take a long time to deliver and most likely you will have to keep bugging him to get it. A few here including myself have had issues with them. If you don't mind the drive I suggest checking out ultra corals, a vendor here. They usually have reef rocks available. Other then the wait I think reefrocks are well worth it.

x2. I LOVE my rock, my experience wasn't as bad as others but the sand while I like it because it reminds me of sand from home(from west coast of FL originally) it's a little fine and even using my mag float within 6 inches of the sand bed causes a sand storm. but i like the look so im hoping itll stick together better later on

x2. I LOVE my rock, my experience wasn't as bad as others but the sand while I like it because it reminds me of sand from home(from west coast of FL originally) it's a little fine and even using my mag float within 6 inches of the sand bed causes a sand storm. but i like the look so im hoping itll stick together better later on

Hmmm now yall got me thinking. Specially with how fine it is. But I was thinking of getting the 40lbs from eithe of them and then still buy a 20 lbs bag of live sand just to help seed and bring up a lil more sand bed. But at least marco rock has 2 sizes of sand. But im thinking if I can cover the fine sand with the one bag of live sand maybe it will hold it down some.

For sand I can't speak highly enough about the Tropic Eden reef flakes. I absolute love it. The only place you can get it though is premium aquatics. Perfect size, just small enough for sand sifters without blowing around. If you want to see it feel free to stop by my place. Also I just pulled all the sand out of my refugium and its sitting in a five gallon bucket about 1/2 full your welcome to it just needs a rinse. If I had to take a guess I'd say about 20lbs. If you like it all you would need is another bag and your good to go.

+1 not going to lie it has taken longer than i expected. But for me while thats not great its okay. The deal makes it worth it.

So ran into problem with the wife. Apparently the was a loss in translation in building a nemo tank. She thought it would he a tank filled to the rim with clowns. I like clowns but........ I guess it would be fine if I could have a few nems and some other lps that they would host but how many clowns could I fit in a 40 breeder? I told her that I could probably only fit 3-4 max in there and of course came the well y the h@ll did u get that tank for instead of something bigger. I then had to remind her that I only paid about $100 for tank stand and top and a 120 (that I would love to have) would cost about $300 alone let alone another couple hundred for a stand and then all the extra cost of tripling the ost of all the other equipment.

So if I where to make this a clown only tank how many u think I could put in there? It might be cool to have a few diffrent pairs in there like nakeds black and whites normal set.

Next thing might be to try and swap out my 75g to a SW tank. But then I would have to get a new stand that would be able to fit the 40 breeder under and use that as a sump. But that is easier said then done.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You could probably get away with two pair until one starts to breed, then they will probably kill the other pair off.

You could probably get away with two pair until one starts to breed, then they will probably kill the other pair off.

+1

I tried this in a 135 gal and it didn't work. I've only ever heard of it working on rare occations and in much larger tanks. I think theres a guy on RC that has a bunch in a tank but theres more nems than clowns. But he got them all real small and introduced them all at once.

Here's the video of his tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFO4DwEkkr0

It is our recommendation to keep 1 pair of clowns per tank. If the clowns are hosting say an anemone as others have mentioned then you may be able to keep more than one pair. Is it worth risking the clowns health to keep more than 1 pair? Probably not.

What you can do if you want to keep say 2 pairs is do a 40 breeder tank with a 40 breeder sump. Make part of the sump a refugium and do it as a display. redfishbluefish has an awesome display fuge where he had a pair of clowns when I saw his thread.

Otherwise maybe talk the wife into a nano for the bedroom in addition to your display tank:).

It's all back to normal. I should her all the fish from my list up top on live aquaria and she thought those where all cool so lost is staying with what I got. But now my next thing I'm thinking about is whether or not I want to just add another tank at the bathroom just for more water. Out I do I was thinking about now baffles. Just putting a skimmer at one end and a return pump at the other end. I was thinking a 20 long so I would still have space to put a 5 gallon jug for top off. If I did that i would just throw some live rock down there too. Is there something wrong wit just doing that? I mean why do I need to have baffles in there? I figure that would actually give me more water volume then with the baffles so wouldn't that be better? And I have a couple clip on cfl bulbs I could throw down there and still throw in some cheato too. If I went that way I was thinking of using either an SWC 120 or 160