• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 75 gallon tank build

I'm building a 75 gallon Dt . Any help or input would be great I'm going to do a start to finish build with pictures to what I'm doing. My first build so hopefully everything goes ok.

Congrats.
First step is the most difficult (decision to start).
What input do you need?
You can find great plan for stand.
How to drill glass (and get ovefrlow kit from glassholes.com).
How to build your rockwork (and where to get it for reasonable price if not free).
Opnions on bare-bottom or sandbed.
How to setup your filtration system.
Get some starter corals.

If you listen and go slow, you'll save tons of money , thousands.
If you don't believe, ask others how much would they save if they would not rush.
So, you've been warned.

Good luck.

My biggest help is a sump system . I don't know much about it besides what I learned from different posts n ideas on google . I like to build my own stand n canopy . Most of the things I want to do is DIY except main essentials like a skimmer . I have some rock right now but may need more but that's much later after I get a sump skimmer and overflow situated I can start the stand and canopy. I don't plan on rushing my build I'm thinking by thanksgiving I might have it all set up ready to put water in

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like your “go slow” approach. That’s a sign of success in this hobby.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it, but here is the standard stand frame that many use. I’ve used this on my 90 gallon DT. With a four foot 75 gallon, all boards can be 2 x 4’s. Once built, you can skin it in whatever floats your boat.

Stand.jpg

My only recommendation is that you put a top on this thing using ¾ plywood.

That's the type of stand I am going to build but my only thing I like to do would box and trim over the gram of tank so all you see is wood not frame from tank any tips for that

Check out my build. The first few pages are the stand I built following the about design. I skinned it with 1/4" oak ply and also hid the tank frame somewhat with the molding.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Go for the 700. I run only 500gph and that's more enough for a 75g. You can always use powerheads to generate flow.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here’s the deal…..either a 700 or 1500 will work on a 75. I personally would go with the 1500 and put a MAG 9.5 in the sump as my return. But that’s just me.

The bottom line is that you want to make sure your return pump doesn’t exceed the capacity of the overflow.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
my plan was go with the the 1500 overflow and use two 3/4 return on each side of the tank

It's not so much the number of returns (although that plays into the head loss calculations), but more the size of your return pump. What pump are you planning on using?

i havent thought about that and im not realy sure what i should use. i know that your turn around should be any where 6x-10x so i've been told

i was just looking at mag 9.9 and they say that at 4' pump hight its only pumping 800gph or 3' at 850 gph shouldnt i got with a mag12? wich at same hights is 1130 -1150

my other question is that with the 1500 do i just run the two overflow tubes down in the sump or can i tee them together then drop them in the tank.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Also keep in mind every elbow will reduce the flow rate. You will most likely have at least 3. You can use the calculator on RC. Also, more flow could mean noisier. And a 100w pump will generate a lot of heat if that's a concern.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2