• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 75 gallon tank build

falconut

NJRC Member
my other question is that with the 1500 do i just run the two overflow tubes down in the sump or can i tee them together then drop them in the tank.

Running two down is probably easiest. If you're gonna tee them together, just keep in mind, you'll probably have to increase the size of the common pipe, so it can handle the flow from the two.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have the 1500 and run the drains to each of the corners of a 40 breeder sump. Here’s a picture of the back of the tank, where you can see the two drains and the return:

PlumbingTankBack.jpg

And here is an old picture of the old sump where you can see the setup of the sump with two drains entering each corner.

Sump.jpg

And my return pump is a MAG 9.5.

Im thinking of building a sump myself the glass place said they'll give me the glass for free so i was wonderin how to set up my sump. And should i build a frame for it or do you think it will be fine siliconed

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You simply silicone the glass baffles to the side glass of the tank. I use GE Silicone I on all my sumps. However some have used RTV 103 or 108 silicones. The RRV silicones are more of an adhesive, while the GE is more or a caulk…..but either one will work. The thing I’ve found is don’t be pretty…..slap down a big bead of silicone and smooth with your finger (or stick if you can’t get your fingers in there). I actually draw the lines on the outside of the tank using a sharpie and builders square. I then lay down a thick bead of caulk on this line (along the two sides and bottom. I then press the baffle into place where the opposite side with have the excess caulk. Smooth this down with your finger and add another bead of caulk to the other side.

Can i use ge silicone 1 to asemble gladd or should i just buy aquarium silicone ?

If you are going to actually build the tank then I would suggest using the RTV. If you are going to use an existing tank and just add baffles then the regular aquarium silicon or the GE 1 will be just fine.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I bought the aquarium silicon for my sump. It only costs $8. That's all I need to silicon three baffles. If you do get GE 1 make sure you get the Windows one. I have heard horrible stories of people lose their live stock and have to rebuild. Small chance that happening but still. Its just me though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I plan on building it . Is their a special Rtv to use ? And my other question how far apart should the baffles be on the bubble trap

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I plan on building it . Is their a special Rtv to use ? And my other question how far apart should the baffles be on the bubble trap

If I remember correctly, RTV 103 is black and RTV 108 is clear. Baffles for a bubble trap should be one inch apart.

horseplay

NJRC Member
For those have done it, is the bean animal overflow touchy or fairly robust?

Nice, in case you weren't going to, I'd pay the extra couple bucks to get the edges of the glass polished. Let me know if you want to borrow my diamond bit.

horseplay

NJRC Member
They do this for free. I asked them whether the glass will be Sharp to the touch and they said no. There are special polish jobs but you won't need it. If you have the glass professionally cut you should ask them how much it cost to drill the holes.

why would i have them drill the glass ? im drilling the 75gallon tank and the other tank im using as a sump. The guy is doing me a favor buy cutting and giving me pieces of glass for no charge. Should i build a frame for the tank cuz i think we were going to use .375" thick but he may only have .250 " . if that's the case would there be too much pressure in the sump to not have a brace or frame to keep sides from bowing?