• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Generator

malulu

NJRC Member
you can check on youtube to get some idea how others hook them up...

i did some research before, and I got a smaller shed from Lowes, and haven't got a chance to started the hookup project yet, need to drill hole to connect to my transfer switch...etc.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, looks like a good option. The only thing I would be concerned about is the heat that it gives off while running. It should be far enough from any walls to do any damage to it. Just make sure it can't move around and touch the sides from vibrations while it's running and you should be good.

Jim, looks like a good option. The only thing I would be concerned about is the heat that it gives off while running. It should be far enough from any walls to do any damage to it. Just make sure it can't move around and touch the sides from vibrations while it's running and you should be good.

I'm planning to install a gable fan on one side to exhaust the heat when it's running, and a gable vent on the other side. I hadn't thought about vibrations, so maybe I should block out the wheels, or use some bungee cords to hold it in place.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was concerned about the direct heat from the motor/exhaust of the generator if it touched the plastic. But that fan and vent combo will certainly keep the overall temp down (as well as keep the vapors out too.)

I was concerned about the direct heat from the motor/exhaust of the generator if it touched the plastic. But that fan and vent combo will certainly keep the overall temp down (as well as keep the vapors out too.)

I need to come up with an idea to vent the engine exhaust, maybe some kind of metal dryer vent flex pipe, along with a metal vent cap. I just need to come up with a means of connecting it to the generator muffler itself. This is turning into a real project. :wink:

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
How about lining it with the thin cement board used to lay tile and connect an exhaust fan to one of the plugs so when the generator is on so is the exhaust fan? Some cross ventilation may be the key

How about lining it with the thin cement board used to lay tile and connect an exhaust fan to one of the plugs so when the generator is on so is the exhaust fan? Some cross ventilation may be the key

That's the way I planned to connect the gable fan. I remember seeing a type of thin (1")fiberglass panel that was coated with an aluminum flashing on one side, but I don't remember what is was, or where to find it.

I had to put up a cheep fence around mine for inspection...cut a hole out of the plastic but no roof. With Irene it blew away so I just never put it back. How about a simple structure with a roof.

I had to put up a cheep fence around mine for inspection...cut a hole out of the plastic but no roof. With Irene it blew away so I just never put it back. How about a simple structure with a roof.

I thought about that, but I have a homeowners association I have to deal with, and know I would have a problem with that. I may still have a problem with this, but I think I can make a case for it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, funny you should bring this up. This past two weeks I’ve been kicking around design options for a generator shed. With Sandy last year, my generator was on my screened side porch of the house. The complaint I got from management was that it was too loud. I have two 100 foot 10/12 gauge extension cords, so I could easily move this generator to the corner of my property.

I like this plastic shed concept….and the one you’ve chosen. I think what I’d consider is a drier hose and vent for the exhaust on the generator and two roof vents in the top of the shed. I’d prefer to take a passive route to ventilating this shed.

In regard to the generator “dancing” around, I can tell you that mine, with two wheels and two post legs, didn’t move an inch when I ran it 24/7 for seven plus days.....relatively heavy. Even so, a couple 2x4’s could easily block this thing in.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep in mind security from thieves...

So how much gas will you guys be keeping on hand?

I don't believe thieves are an issue for me....I'm totally fenced in.....in ground pool in the backyard. As far as gas....two, five gallon gas tanks. Other then the first couple days after Sandy where I siphoned gas from my cars, the two cans worked great.

I plan to keep the generator in the garage until such time as I need to use it, then roll it into the shed for operation. There is a pad lock on the shed, so it wouldn't be too easy for someone to take it. I have four 5 gallon gas cans I keep for emergencies. I keep sta-bil in the gas, and use it in the car, after a year of storage.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Jim i also ran mine for days and it didn't move an inch, I also have two rubber wheels and two posts with rubber caps. I was thinking of doing the same thing but leaving it in there so if I'm not home my wife of kids can go out there turn the key and get it running.
As for the exhaust I would just cut a hole in the plastic and and make a loose passage for the exhaust to travel in but not connected.
One problem with it outside in a shed is mice they will get in there and for some reason they find there way to a spot where they can chew the ignition wire so it won't start. I don't know how they know which wire to chew but they find it every time.:mad:

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That is a good point Rob. Mice as well as some squirrels (if they can find a big enough hole) will hunt down the insulation on the wiring. I suppose they use it in their nests. Some actually did that to one of my co-workers trucks here at the office. He walked out and noticed them scattering from under his truck... then it didn't start. Popped the hood and saw the wiring all chewed up. :eek:

As for the vent, how about something like this? : Plastic Roof Vent You could even mount it on one of the sides so that the cap is shielded by the roof overhang... then just silicone around all the edges to seal it real good.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, if you get that fan and vent you won't need to direct duct the exhaust from the engine. That box is pretty small and as long as you keep the fan/vent up high it will exhaust any fumes from the generator.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Let me see if I can explain and show what I was planning on doing with the exhaust on my generator. The muffler is quite large, with an approximate 1 inch diameter pipe exiting the back of the muffler. I was going to take a four inch metal duck end cap…..looks like this:

th

and drill a hole to fit over the exhaust pipe. This would be expoxy’ed in place using JB Weld Epoxy. My original thought was to then install a dryer vent at this exact level of the exhaust and butt the generator exhaust into the drier vent…which looks like this:

th

But as I scratched my head and thought about it, the exhaust is fairly low. I was concerned that if we got snow, this exhaust would be covered.

So now the though is to mount the dryer vent high and connect the two using dryer vent hose.

As far as the use of the roof vent, the one I linked in post 11 above, is more stream-lined than that beast that George linked in post 16…and mine is less expense and prettier! :eek:

The roof vent and dryer vent are bug and rodent proof, so nothing is getting in the shed.