• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Generator

malulu

NJRC Member
my plan is:

using this Rubbermaid 55-in x 28-in x 36-in Olive Resin Outdoor Storage Shed
071691392859lg.jpg

and padded with this Insulation Materials for Galvalume Corrugated Metal Sheet inside
Insulation-Materials-for-Galvalume-Corrugated-Metal-Sheet-JY-A1-.jpg

using something like this on both in/out - Grill Rack ( may be smaller size )
images

From the generator exhaust - will be using a Flexible Round Aluminum Transition Pipe to connect to a 6" Exhaust blower fan or something like this
280486c6-b0a5-4e7a-a17d-b828f15bc522_300.jpg
41Bp68P00xL._SY300_.jpg
Exhaust-Fan.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
note:
i am planning to use this to tide the flex pipe to the generater-exhaust
4836043e-7195-460e-8288-69216420f2a1_300.jpg

if failed, i will steal the idea from Paul.
th

I just started and ran the unit for the first time. I noticed that when I went to add the provided oil, they gave me an SAE 30W, so I went out and bought some Castrol 5W-30W synthetic, I'll use the B&S oil in the lawn mower, since I only use it in the summer anyway. The exhaust isn't as bad as I thought it might be, so I think I'll wait to see how well the vent fan keeps the shed ventilated, and then decide if I want to vent the exhaust separately.

malulu

NJRC Member
i would imaging that after some used, there would be a burn/grease spot shows up inside the shed wall...? if have a flex pipe, we can always change it after some time (few years) of usage...

I think I'm going to have to find a piece of sheet metal to place in between the shed wall, and the generator, mainly due to the heat. So, that should prevent any burn/grease spot on the shed wall.

I picked up the shed today, and got a veteran's discount on top of the quoted price, so I made out really well. It's a snap to assemble, I already have the base, sides and doors on, all I have to do it snap/screw on the top and associated hinges.

Gem-Shed_zps732e3aed.jpg

I'll put the roof on after I've finished installing the fan, and vent.

GenShed-Vent-Fan_zps13eeeb26.jpg

OK, shed if ready, I still have to bolt it down to the 18" square concrete pavers I used for a foundation, so I'll wait for a warmer day to do that.

Shed-Done_zps2a25c631.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, I’m impressed! Looking good.

I too picked up the same mini-shed on Black Friday…….in the boonies of North Carolina. So I had to haul it back to NJ on the roof of the car:

7bd3b2aa-ec32-4be9-87ee-371fed11fa70_zps2098da1f.jpg

I’ve also changed direction. I’m not going to set mine up to run the generator therein. I’m only going to use this shed to hold all things generator….two 100 foot 12 gauge extension cords, gas cans, and all that nonsense I need to run it through the window into the house and convert my boiler to run off the generator. The reason for the change is that I have a place to run the generator….a detached garage (filled with mice.) So I figure, with the carbon monoxide produced, I could kill two birds with one stone….well, not two birds, but you get the idea. The other reason is that in the 30 plus years we have been in the house, Sandy was the first time we needed a generator. So I’m guessing I’ll never use this generator again, but it will all be together in one spot if needed.

So Jim, did you do a foundation…either concrete or wood? I wasn’t expecting that. Having got home early today (we left NC at 3AM), I was going to pop up my little shed, but when I read the instructions, it called for that foundation. This is turning into a bigger project then I wanted it to be…..off to HD tomorrow.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great idea using large pavers. That should work just fine….and relatively easy to do.

I’m fitting mine between two trees and the large pavers wouldn’t fit unless I cut them…..so I’m going with the pressure treated wood foundation. Here’s the base of the shed showing how close the two trees are on either side:

8dace9f3-08c4-4774-827f-3c482d242aa7_zpsf1038689.jpg

Now to drag the saw out and start cutting.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks good Jim. What's the diamond plate steel on the right? Looks like something is mounted to it from the outside?

malulu

NJRC Member
Don't forget a surge protector between the generator and breaker box.
i think some of the generator already have that build in - right?

just wondering - are you guys planning to bolt down the generator to the shed/bottom? so it is harder for someone trying to steal it...?
;)