• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Generator

i think some of the generator already have that build in - right?

just wondering - are you guys planning to bolt down the generator to the shed/bottom? so it is harder for someone trying to steal it...?
;)

Typically they do not come with a surge protector. They do have an overload protector on the generator. However, I'm referring to something between your house's circuit breaker and the generator. When I had my 20K installed.. the electrician had installed that as well.. and it wasn't like he was taking me for a ride.. as that was not extra. This would protect you incase there is a big surge... from the generator caused by act of god, i.e. lighting. :)

I strongly recommend you bolt down any plastic shed, as well as, bolt the generator with U-bolts to the flooring of the shed. Speaking from my experience... I had one of those plastic/rubbermaid sheds filled with my lawn mower, whole bunch of shovels, pics, weed wacker, leaf blower and etc.. (roughly about 600 lbs) and one gust of wind flipped the shed on the side. They do sell shed anchoring kit at most hardware stores. It's worth the effort.

malulu

NJRC Member
did you mean something like this - to bolt down the shed ?
41nMnG6zhdL._SY300_.jpg

and this - to bolt down the generator ?
445632456_883.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
David, not sure what shed you are using, but that shed hold down you show above is for a standard shed with a fixed roof. I’ve used those before in strapping down, typically metal sheds. If you are using the type that Jim taked about, I would suggest doing what is stated in the instructions…..bolt it down. I have four ¼” x 2” lag screws into the foundation, so my shed isn’t going anywhere.

With the generator “walking,” and needing to be secured, I didn’t notice mine moving at all when it ran for over seven days with Sandy. However, with you putting this in a plastic shed, I would also suggest you do something. If that exhaust hits the plastic walls….poof! Here is what I did to distribute the weight of the generator over the plastic floor. ..it is a 2 x 4 with holes where the post legs sit on the generator. If you screwed this to the floor of the shed, it would keep the generator from moving, but still allow you to move it out to service or fill with gas.

fcd3a776-1ee7-4f94-af96-017b5d752572_zps1503e73d.jpg

did you mean something like this - to bolt down the shed ?
41nMnG6zhdL._SY300_.jpg

and this - to bolt down the generator ?
445632456_883.jpg

Yep that is the same anchoring kit I used for my new shed. You might need to run some kind of a eye hook to connect the cable to the shed. You might need to drill a hole through the shed walls to connect these hooks. Use BIG washers so the hooks don't cut into the shed walls. Also, you don't need to make the cables tight, just enough to keep it from moving too much.

Here's link to the hooks. Just an example. :)
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/34382/marching-bass-drum-accessories

malulu

NJRC Member
i planned on lay down a pressure treated pinewood board inside the shed (make it stronger)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...Treated-Plywood-261688/100049211#.Up6H043slu0

and then have this op top of the pinewood (to reduce noise)
d2702e5a-2973-427b-9aa6-0353fdd2bf21_1000.jpg

and then padded with this Insulation Materials for Galvalume Corrugated Metal Sheet (to reduce heat)
Insulation-Materials-for-Galvalume-Corrugated-Metal-Sheet-JY-A1-.jpg

the generator will be bolt down (still working on HOW to secure it...)
your generator is on the back of your house... people would have to pass through your house to steal it if the wanted to...
my will be on the side on the house next to my garage... since i heard some peoples got stolen last time during Sandy storm, so i an just trying to play it safe...