• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New reefer

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
your tank needs to be cycle. There different ways to cycle a tank. Have you tested your water? If so where are you on the cycle?

My cycle is finish I have live stock in the tank but I was reading in a post in the web the after the cycle have to wait 6 month to start adding corals

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I will let other more experience reefers chime in but if your tank has cycled I don't believe you need to wait 6 months after that point to add corals. I do strongly suggest starting with easy corals and doing plenty of research before purchasing your first coral. I personally started with Zoas and gone from there. GSP are easy as well but they can over run a tank if not careful.

@Bad Fish @trio91 @kschweer @MaxDamage984 @Raffle King thoughts?

Last edited:
I personally have always put in cleaning crew first, then corals, then fish and such. Corals are much hardier than fish when it comes to chemistry changes in my opinion hence I never even acclimate them. So if your tank is cycled and u have fish in there I would go ahead and load up on corals. You can see in my building thread how I did it and everything is doing great. And my tank has only been running for about 2 months total

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
As usual make sure you levels are good to begin with. Start with some easy corals and make sure it is a coral you don't mind keeping as it grows/spreads. Take xenia and kenya trees as an example, very easy to maintain but they spread like a weed. Mushrooms are good to start with as are palys they can spread fast as well