• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No luck with SPS

What kind of rocks and substrate did you set the tank up with? Ive heard of guys making rock out of Portland cement and running into all kinds of problems with not being able to control the water parameters.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Just sand and LR. Thats about it.

And my favorite question to ask when people get out of wack numbers from testing...... What are you using to test your salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometer calibrated with solution or water? I bet your salinity is actually like 1.031, it would explain everything. I am in Haddonfield so you can bring some water over and I will test it with my refractometer if you want. The numbers you are getting are impossible at a salinity of 1.026.

And my favorite question to ask when people get out of wack numbers from testing...... What are you using to test your salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometer calibrated with solution or water? I bet your salinity is actually like 1.031, it would explain everything. I am in Haddonfield so you can bring some water over and I will test it with my refractometer if you want. The numbers you are getting are impossible at a salinity of 1.026.

You are one of the many doubters. But sure. Just PM me if your available tomorrow. I get off work at 4

I agree that the AlLK level is high.

Maybe a shot in the dark, but have you tested for copper? Maybe it is leaching from used LR, LS, tank.

Maybe I missed something but reading through this I didn't hear or see anything about a phosphate reading. Did you check that?

You should not have to dose with reef crystals...it is desighned for reef system and always shows high calcium, mag, strontium. The assumption is you have a thriving sps population in your tank using this stuff up...your numbers are definitely out of whack...btw, 82 degrees is on the high end for sps...your corals will adjust to your lighting, I doubt if that is the problem...good luck

You should not have to dose with reef crystals...it is desighned for reef system and always shows high calcium, mag, strontium. The assumption is you have a thriving sps population in your tank using this stuff up...your numbers are definitely out of whack...btw, 82 degrees is on the high end for sps...your corals will adjust to your lighting, I doubt if that is the problem...good luck

82 is on the high end when the air is off(had 2 nice days). Its more closely around 80 and drops to about 78 at night with the lights out when the airs on. Use to go way up from the heat the lights put off so I set up a fan that blows across the top of the tank. Don't know how high it got today as I didn't have power from 5am to 1pm.

Jeeze. Never realized all the chemestry that goes with this. This tank is going to be the death of me. LOL

LOL having a reef tank is a challenge for sure. When you get your water chemistry straightened out it might be best to stop dosing and just do water changes once a week. It's very easy to get your tank out of whack once you start dosing a certain element.

Personally I think it's well worth the investment to setup a system that makes water changes as easy as possible. That way their more likely to be done on a regular basis.

Here's the readings I got with your water samples:

DT :
Sal. 1.03
pH 8.4
Ca 490
Alk off the chart
PO4 out of range(so high the hanna couldn't read it) when I added the reagent the sample turned dark purple.

Make up:
Sal. 1.024
pH 8.0
Ca 490
Alk Off the chart
PO4 .35

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, good stuff.

When you say “make up,” I’m assuming this is freshly made saltwater (Reef Crystals, if I’m not mistaken)?

What is the source of water….I’m hoping RO/DI?

And where does your water come from…..municipal or well?

That alk number is just down right funky!

I can understand the high PO4, but alk has me scratching my head. The only thing that comes to mind is that you are using tap water that is extremely "hard."

This time the water was just filtered with the carbon block and sedement filters because it was a rush due to my power was out for 8 hours and I wanted to do a quick water change. Its is well water.

Here's the readings I got with your water samples:

DT :
Sal. 1.03
pH 8.4
Ca 490
Alk off the chart
PO4 out of range(so high the hanna couldn't read it) when I added the reagent the sample turned dark purple.

Make up:
Sal. 1.024
pH 8.0
Ca 490
Alk Off the chart
PO4 .35

So what does this mean?(i'm clueless)
How do I lower the PO4?

Well, your salinity is too high, so you could start by taking small amounts of water out of the DT and replacing it with RO/DI, until it's down to 1.026. Is there any correlation between these high Alk readings and your current salt mix? It's pretty obvious that water changes aren't going to help, since you'd just be keeping the Alk level high. Although it would help with your elevated PO4. Do you have a different box of salt mix?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
As Paul mentioned either it is coming from your well water or from your salt. Have you tested just the RO coming right out of the RODI? Besides this time, do you always use an RODI or just straight from the well?

How long have you had this particular bucket of salt?