• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No luck with SPS

falconut

NJRC Member
That's crazy. Everything is high. But, at least you know your problem. Maybe you could try a salt mix known for lower alk & cal levels. But, like the others said, get the saliity right first, then work on the others.

I just started to use the RODI water about 2 months ago. I guess I have to get something to test the salinity other than the hydrometer. I have to go re-up on my salt as this last water change was the last of this box. This box has been the last 200 gal. I just switched from MEI to Reef Crystals this last box because I thought that was the problem. I'll just start with lowering my salinity and see where my results go from there. As far as the PO4 could that be from only feeding frozen food? I guess I'll hit up the local fish store tomorrow and pick up a couple of things. What was the tester that was used? I believe you called it a refractometer.

Well at least I have a starting point and direction to go from here.

Thanks again for testing the water for me.

So I think it had something to do with the well water as far as the alk goes. We just hooked up to city water tuesday and I mixed up some salt with just tap and tested it. It put it around 8dkh vs off the charts. Hopefully this helps. As far as PO4 I think I'm going to start soaking/rinsing the food as I read that frozen fook can cause high PO4. Hopefully these small steps can get me in the right direction.

Also is there something I need to do to the RODI unit now that its city and they use clorine?

Josh

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also is there something I need to do to the RODI unit now that its city and they use clorine?

You don't have to change anything in your system. The carbon block will remove any chlorine from the city water.

This time the water was just filtered with the carbon block and sedement filters because it was a rush due to my power was out for 8 hours and I wanted to do a quick water change. Its is well water.

Well that would explain high PO4. You should never use water that hasn't been run through everything including the membrane and the resin. And a salinity of 1.030 would explain high everything. Make sure you are using the ro/di properly, get a refractometer with calibration solution, and try another batch of RC, I am bet everything will be fine.

Well that would explain high PO4. You should never use water that hasn't been run through everything including the membrane and the resin. And a salinity of 1.030 would explain high everything. Make sure you are using the ro/di properly, get a refractometer with calibration solution, and try another batch of RC, I am bet everything will be fine.

The PO4 was high at 0.35 but thats still an improvement from the unreadable results that is in my tank. As far as the salinity I've been lowering it with water changes with lower salinity. As far as refractomerters go is http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...eading-salinity-w-free-calibration-fluid.html this a good one?

As far as cutting PO4 out of my tank should I stop feeding frozen foods and just feed pellets?